Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Hunting Rifle

308W in a rifle that fits. Down load with H4895 youth loads, it'll also do heavy for cal stuff for penetration on the big bruisers.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    No wrong answer, I guess, but the .308 is by far the better cartridge. Wide range of J-bullets to taylor to the game sought. I just loaded a bunch of 125 Sierras for around the farm. Loaded 180 Hornady's for my last elk trip. The only caliber I took to Africa years ago. Everything I shot died with one shot. A very under appreciated cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I think you are heading in the right direction with the 7-08. Now I also propose the 308 as even better. I loaded 125gr at about 2250fps for my 10 year old son to deer hunt. I had found that bullet a solid preformer in my Contender 30Herret so no concern there. The recoil was less than 243 and was quieter as well. This was a Kimber M84 classic. That very same rifle shoots 165gr loads very well and probably 180s if wanted. 308s are good cast platform as well, and doing it again it would be 31141 at 1750fps! Get her a nice bolt gun in 308 and she will be set for life, and can pass it on to her children. Every time she shoots it she will think of you and happy times. A quality rifle can be more than a tool. I do not understand folk buying their child a junker because "they are gonna beat it up". They will take care of it if they know it's expected and are taught how. They will be proud of their rifle and all the little scratches and dings will be memories of past hunts. Just my opinion, ymmv.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    308 ammo is everywhere. You will need lots of practise ammo.

Boolit Master

I say trust your gut. The 7/08 is a excellent choice!!

I have recently been exposed to the 6.5 Grendel and feel its also a excellent choice BUT feel its a lil light for the largest big game, like elk & moose. (Yes absolutely it will/can work!)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

If you are able to let her test the guns to see how it feels for her and then go from there. That way she will be like stated part of the choice .As for 308 win you can down load it to shoot like a 22lr with cast. up to full loads.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I recommend a 223 Remington bolt action...there are various 223 loads made to anchor deer sized game. Reloading is also an option for the 223 Rem.

Boolit Master
    That might be a bit light for a bear or elk, your call.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

No 223s or ARs...dale

Boolit Grand Master

You mentioned a 7-08 in your first post and I agree that its not a bad choice. I lightly touched on the 308 then. You have got a lot of post suggesting the 308 and as a 308 lover I have to agree. Its very versatile with bullets from 100 grain to 240 grain and most sporting good stores and Walmart have 308 ammo. Good Luck in your choice.

Boolit Master
    I would go with a 308 since elk is on the list, bullet diameter always helps when hunting. Component availability, bullet mold availabilty, loaded cartridge selection. A 308 will be slightly lighter than the 7-08 in the same rifle(bigger hole in the barrel). A Savage Lady Hunter or Lightweight Hunter(?). Shorten the stock as required and fit a really good recoil pad (Limbsaver, Kick-eez, Hi-Viz). A really good trigger is important for success for the new shooter. A 125gr Accubond, Sierra, Hornady SST at 2500-2600fps should handle blacktail, lots of light recoil practice with boolits or plenty of 'cheap jacketed' loaded light, elk - 165 or 180 Partition -2500fps plus. Cast bullets for hunting require a little more experience.

...223 Remington limited to deer. Give her a few more years before elk and bear, then use no less than one of the top ten elk and bear cartridges if they can be handled and shot accurately.

Boolit Master

Get the right rifle, one that fits, chambered in .308. IMO much more versatile than the other .308 case children when reloaded. I started my kids with a .243 but when elk were on the menu, they used a loaded down 30-06 'cause that's what we had. I used the .243 and yes it did kill elk as did the 30-06. The 7/08 is adequate for elk as a daughter-in-law proved several times but IMO not a beginner's elk rifle. Do what you will but do keep the youngsters coming into the hunting/shooting world.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

7-08

I started my son on the 7-08 and reduced loads. He's killed everything he's ever pointed the rifle at. I plan to start my daughter with the same rifle.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

7-08 sounds good, she will never outgrow! I download a .308 for my brothers daughters, which they are old enough to shoot full power now. My all time favorite in mild recoil is a 6.5 x 55. The sportorized mil (my preference 23.5" barrels) shoot incredibly well! The performance in game far exceeds the .243!

I have always been parttial to the 270 Winchester, it is a fine caliber, along with others mentioned. I think fit is probably more important than caliber, because when that elk, bear, deer, walk out in front recoil wont be a problem. You can always put together some reduced loads for trigger time at the range. Good luck and great hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

270 Winchester still brings them down - my favorite high powered cartridge for the West. “Thutty Thutty” for the Northeast woods.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    A .308 down loads really easy and is still effective and then you can make it powerful when you need to.

Oldest son's first hunting rifle was a .260 Remington. Good enough for the task and it does recoil less than bigger ones. Youngest got a .308 because he is a lefty and choices were more limited. If I had it to do over, both would have gotten .308s. A 125-130 grain bullet and 37 grains of 4895 worked great on deer and recoils less than a .243. Just my thoughts, we're all hand loaders here, no need to be a slave to what factory ammo does, you can make a big cartridge into a tame kitten no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If you go with a 308 then you can download using 30-30 bullets and velocity. 7mm08 can be downloaded true, but are there any bullets that are made in 7mm suited to the lower velocity? 7-30 waters bullets? Premium jacketed can be had for 30-30 velocity and I think that would make it more versatile in reduced loading for all game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    either 7-08 or 308 .. personally I would go 308 as its more versatile. You can download for her in the beginning for deer and stretch it out for extra umph for bear and elk
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    308W in a rifle that fits. Down load with H4895 youth loads, it'll also do heavy for cal stuff for penetration on the big bruisers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    No wrong answer, I guess, but the .308 is by far the better cartridge. Wide range of J-bullets to taylor to the game sought. I just loaded a bunch of 125 Sierras for around the farm. Loaded 180 Hornady's for my last elk trip. The only caliber I took to Africa years ago. Everything I shot died with one shot. A very under appreciated cartridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I think you are heading in the right direction with the 7-08. Now I also propose the 308 as even better. I loaded 125gr at about 2250fps for my 10 year old son to deer hunt. I had found that bullet a solid preformer in my Contender 30Herret so no concern there. The recoil was less than 243 and was quieter as well. This was a Kimber M84 classic. That very same rifle shoots 165gr loads very well and probably 180s if wanted. 308s are good cast platform as well, and doing it again it would be 31141 at 1750fps! Get her a nice bolt gun in 308 and she will be set for life, and can pass it on to her children. Every time she shoots it she will think of you and happy times. A quality rifle can be more than a tool. I do not understand folk buying their child a junker because "they are gonna beat it up". They will take care of it if they know it's expected and are taught how. They will be proud of their rifle and all the little scratches and dings will be memories of past hunts. Just my opinion, ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    308 ammo is everywhere. You will need lots of practise ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    If you are able to let her test the guns to see how it feels for her and then go from there. That way she will be like stated part of the choice .As for 308 win you can down load it to shoot like a 22lr with cast. up to full loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    You mentioned a 7-08 in your first post and I agree that its not a bad choice. I lightly touched on the 308 then. You have got a lot of post suggesting the 308 and as a 308 lover I have to agree. Its very versatile with bullets from 100 grain to 240 grain and most sporting good stores and Walmart have 308 ammo. Good Luck in your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I would go with a 308 since elk is on the list, bullet diameter always helps when hunting. Component availability, bullet mold availabilty, loaded cartridge selection. A 308 will be slightly lighter than the 7-08 in the same rifle(bigger hole in the barrel). A Savage Lady Hunter or Lightweight Hunter(?). Shorten the stock as required and fit a really good recoil pad (Limbsaver, Kick-eez, Hi-Viz). A really good trigger is important for success for the new shooter. A 125gr Accubond, Sierra, Hornady SST at 2500-2600fps should handle blacktail, lots of light recoil practice with boolits or plenty of 'cheap jacketed' loaded light, elk - 165 or 180 Partition -2500fps plus. Cast bullets for hunting require a little more experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Get the right rifle, one that fits, chambered in .308. IMO much more versatile than the other .308 case children when reloaded. I started my kids with a .243 but when elk were on the menu, they used a loaded down 30-06 'cause that's what we had. I used the .243 and yes it did kill elk as did the 30-06. The 7/08 is adequate for elk as a daughter-in-law proved several times but IMO not a beginner's elk rifle. Do what you will but do keep the youngsters coming into the hunting/shooting world.

I vote with all of these folks!
    While it is true that any caliber can work, it is also true that the best is more likely to perform the best in challenging times!
    Fear the man (or woman) with only one gun because he (or she) knows how to use it!

That comes from practice and practice comes from plentiful supply. 308/7.62 is available anywhere and brass/components are commonly available and very affordable, too!
    Also get her the best scope you can.

Boolit Master
    The .308 has more advantages than the 7mm-08. That being said, here's what I would do:

Heads - .308
    Tails - 7mm-08

Keep flipping until it comes up tails. But that's just me and the choice I would make. Special girl deserves a special rifle.

...also, it may go without saying, but pls ensure that your chosen round is within the requirements of your respective state game laws.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast