Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Hunting Rifle

Boolit Master

First Hunting Rifle

My Great Granddaughter just turned 12 in November.
    She is not a small girl at 5' 4" and 120#.
    She has a 2019 Oregon Youth Sports Pack which includes deer, bear, cougar, and elk tags.
    Most adults in my area seem to recommend a 243 Win as a first hunting rifle.
    She will be hunting mostly Blacktail deer and bear but she may get the opportunity to hunt elk.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a 7-08 Rem. as a more appropriate caliber for the bigger game.
    I can download it for deer and load heavier loads for elk and bear.
    What are your thoughts about this and which rifle would you buy?
    BTW, Oregon Youth Sports packs include:
    1. Hunting and fishing license
    2. Upland Game validation
    3. Shellfish license
    4. Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, Sturgeon tag
    5. Turkey tag
    6. Deer tag
    7. Bear tag
    8. Cougar tag
    9. Elk tag

This all for $55.00
    Adult sports Packs are $190

Boolit Grand Master

The 7-08 would not be a bad choice. I started my Wife and kids off with a 308 using reduced loads and/or light bullets. Just a suggestion, but think about giving Her some options and let Her be part of the decision.

Several of my friends Daughters use 243's and a few even use 223's and one has a 220 Swift. These are for deer and your Elk tag probably nixes these calibers.

Thats a heck of a package for $55!

Boolit Grand Master

The 7-08 is the current iteration of the 7x57 and never a bad choice. I would agree with letting her be part of the choice but she doesn't have the experience to know the flexibility of loading for various cartridges. The 7mm gives you many more choices than the .243 - to me it's simple to the reloader. Maybe not to someone who only buys boxed ammo, but not to us.

For her the issue is stock fit. That is important and worth listening to her.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I think I would go with the 7-08. I have killed a lot of deer with a 243 but I think the extra bullet weight with the 7 would be better for bear an elk

Boolit Master

I would go for the 7-08 for less muzzle blast then a short barrelled 243.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I would also go with the 7-08. Make sure the rifle fits her well. A youth stock might just be the ticket....5'4" really isn't that big of a girl especially when it comes to a full length stock being made for a man 5'10" or taller.

BTW...my Son-in-Law is only 5'5" and he prefers a youth stock as well. Even my Win94 is too long for him.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned

A .308 down loads really easy and is still effective and then you can make it powerful when you need to.

Oldest son's first hunting rifle was a .260 Remington. Good enough for the task and it does recoil less than bigger ones. Youngest got a .308 because he is a lefty and choices were more limited. If I had it to do over, both would have gotten .308s. A 125-130 grain bullet and 37 grains of 4895 worked great on deer and recoils less than a .243. Just my thoughts, we're all hand loaders here, no need to be a slave to what factory ammo does, you can make a big cartridge into a tame kitten no problem.

Go back and reread richhodg66 post! The man hit the nail square on the head!

How about 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform. Auto action would take care of some recoil. My nephew hunts big mulies with the Grendel.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    How about 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform. Auto action would take care of some recoil. My nephew hunts big mulies with the Grendel.
    I consider the AR a poor platform to teach a new shooter.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

If she is going to be hunting elk, just go with the 7mm-08. If looking for good budget entry with classic feel, look at the savage lady hunter. Good luck to you both on the range and in the woods this coming season.!

Boolit Master

Sorry pete501, we are not interested in an AR.
    It will be a bolt gun for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    7mm08 was my youngest sons choice at age 9. Browning Micro Medalion fit him fine and is still his choice in his mid 30s.

Boolit Master
    #2 son is in the marlet for a new hunting rifle. He is looking for a Thika ultra light in 7-08. He has decided he doesn't like heavy recoil and doesn't want to carry a heavy gun up and down the cascades. Loading light for deer and heavy for elk is a very good idea. Are you going to use one headstamp for deer and another for elk?

Boolit Grand Master

The 7mm 08 should make fine work of the intended game provided good shot placement. One thing that will help a lot is to do all you can to keep range of shots down Give her the easiest shots possible. A good load and rifle that fits her will go farther than the actual caliber. If possible have the length of pull shortened to fit her and possibly a slightly taller thicker cheek piece. THese don't make the rifle more powerful but do make it easier for her to shoot better with it improving the potential for a solid hit.
    If possible having her shoot several rifles in different calibers may help guide you and her along your journey. See what she likes and is capable of handling.

The only fly in the Tikka ointment is the poorly designed recoil pad. Use a slip on Limbsaver for sighting in and remove it to hunt. I'll join the 7mm-08 chorus; my 3 kids all started with .243s but we don't have bear and elk available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you go with a 308 then you can download using 30-30 bullets and velocity. 7mm08 can be downloaded true, but are there any bullets that are made in 7mm suited to the lower velocity? 7-30 waters bullets? Premium jacketed can be had for 30-30 velocity and I think that would make it more versatile in reduced loading for all game.

Vendor Sponsor

either 7-08 or 308 .. personally I would go 308 as its more versatile. You can download for her in the beginning for deer and stretch it out for extra umph for bear and elk
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

My wife is 5’ 2” and loves her Browning A-Bolt Micro in 7mm08. She has killed over a dozen whitetails with it and most were one shot. Great choice for women, youngsters and even old farts like us. Here is this year’s buck. 180#
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C3D9C9A-3BBD-45D0-B1D1-E7946A05BF37.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	237539

Boolit Master

Your granddaughter is probably going to grow like a weed in the coming years. Look at the height of her parents and make sure you don't buy a rifle that she will outgrow by the time she hits 14. Good choice to pass on the AR-10 platform. They tend to be pretty heavy if the ones I've shot are typical. I've hunted with someone that has a 7mm-08 and it is quite capable. My hunting rifle is a 6.5x55, very equivalent to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The recoil and muzzle blast are mild and it's good for all but the biggest game in North America.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast