Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: New Henry lever actions.

New Henry lever actions.

Howdy,
    Maybe some of you know this but Henry has a new line of lever action rifles out. The Long Ranger. MRSP of $1066, probably a bit less in the stores.
    They are chambered in 223/5.56 NATO, 243 Win, 308 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor.
    They have a 6 lug rotary bolt head that locks into a barrel extension. A removable steel box magazine, 5 in 223/5.56 NATO, 4 in everything else. They have 20 inch barrels in most, the 6.5 CM has 22 inch.
    The twist rates are 1-9 for 223/5.56 NATO. 1-10 for 243 and 308, 1-8 for the 6.5.
    The 223/5.56, 243 and 308 you can get with or without sights. Without sight you mount a scope.
    The 6.5 looks to be scope only.
    These sound kinda like Browning style rifle.
    They also have a line of break action shot guns and rifles.
    These rifles have wider range of calibers available.
    I found out about these today. I get email for a couple gun magazines. They mentioned hunting turkeys with Henry's. They showed pics of the break action shotguns. I went to Henry to investigate and found the other items too.
    I guess Henry is doing ok to expand their line up.
    Leo

Henry has quite a line up with some similar to the old Winchester commeratives. The Long Ranger does interest me, but I am deer rifle poor and basically have found that the lever actions really offer me no advantage as hunting rifles. I am now retired and sit in a stand so my shots are pretty deliberate.

DEP

USMC 77, USRA 79

One of my son’s bought the LR in 223... don’t ask me why. I set it up, scoped it, loaded it, and so on.. put quite a few round through it. Well made gun first of all. Action is very nice, functions as well as any of my Winchester’s... I did notice it was very heavy for a 223... think around 9lbs. Trigger was very very nice, shot very straight with the 50g lee bator bullets up to 100y... I did like the gun, just wish if he was gunna plop down his Alaska dividend on a 1000 dollar plus rifle, it would have been for a caliber more versatile for the country we live in... 223 is NOT a bush gun around here...lol. It would just piss somebody off.. not a deer gun either unless you are a total crack shot. Not even a wolf gun in my opinion.. and we have no coyotes lynx or stuff like that here... not many squirrels either.. and on the range it’s not a long range gun either. waste of a good gun, but it was what he wanted... not sure what his intention was when he picked that caliber except to maybe shoot up my lead and powder supply,...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Been thinking about having a Henry single shot rifle in 357 Magnum rechambered for 357 Maximum.
    Whaddaya' think?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Moderator Emeritus

I've become a Henry fan, since I bought a Big Boy a couple years ago.

To anyone interested, they'll send you a nice color catalog of their complete line, just for the asking
    https://www.henryusa.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Henrys customer service is second to NO ONE if you have issues.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    Been thinking about having a Henry single shot rifle in 357 Magnum rechambered for 357 Maximum.
    Whaddaya' think?
    Been thinkin' the same, as a 'companion' for my 10.5" Ruger.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    One of my son’s bought the LR in 223... don’t ask me why. I set it up, scoped it, loaded it, and so on.. put quite a few round through it. Well made gun first of all. Action is very nice, functions as well as any of my Winchester’s... I did notice it was very heavy for a 223... think around 9lbs. Trigger was very very nice, shot very straight with the 50g lee bator bullets up to 100y... I did like the gun, just wish if he was gunna plop down his Alaska dividend on a 1000 dollar plus rifle, it would have been for a caliber more versatile for the country we live in... 223 is NOT a bush gun around here...lol. It would just piss somebody off.. not a deer gun either unless you are a total crack shot. Not even a wolf gun in my opinion.. and we have no coyotes lynx or stuff like that here... not many squirrels either.. and on the range it’s not a long range gun either. waste of a good gun, but it was what he wanted... not sure what his intention was when he picked that caliber except to maybe shoot up my lead and powder supply,...
    d

Even in the lower 48 I can appreciate those comments. A 223 can be a fun rifle but I have little use for one myself. Any varmints can be shot with either my 243 which I bought and seemed like a good idea a the time, or my 6.5CM. The 6.5 CM is a great all around rifle where I live or the 308. I prefer longer barrels and wish the Henry LR was a 22" barrel for the 308 as well or the 243. I could hunt black bear but the way they are hunted around my place, my old 35 Remington or my 38-55 would be adequate.

There are more than a few that would like to see the Henry LR offered in 358, which would be a pretty handy rifle for Alaska.

DEP

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yea, 223 is kinda just a play gun around here, and we really don’t have any “ranges” around here... mostly just rock pits for building roads and such.. so to me it was kinda a waste. Now 308 would have been just fine and dandy for most stuff, and in that Henry, I would have been very Jelous of that son of mine. But noooooooo.... 223
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
    Been thinkin' the same, as a 'companion' for my 10.5" Ruger.
    Me three. Would be a great low country deer gun around here.

Boolit Master
    Well, I've looked over a few of the Henry's, and they are built well, but I can't get over them being butt ugly! But to each his own!

So action allows cleaning from the chamber end like marlin? No owners manual on line.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I saw some long rangers at a gun show a few months back. They seemed really heavy for the calibers, weirdly of the five that I saw two had cracked butt stocks...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Yea, 223 is kinda just a play gun around here, and we really don’t have any “ranges” around here... mostly just rock pits for building roads and such.. so to me it was kinda a waste. Now 308 would have been just fine and dandy for most stuff, and in that Henry, I would have been very Jelous of that son of mine. But noooooooo.... 223
    The 223 when loaded with a 60 grain Nosler Partition is a pretty darn effective round everything else you said but man a guy can really shoot accurately with those little 223.

I would LOVE to have a Henry lever action in .357. Too pricey for my wallet...