Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Dedicated cast bullets for 38-44

Dedicated cast bullets for 38-44

I have gotten in the habit of using the 358429 (Keith 170 gr), 358156 GC SWC and 358156 GC SWC HP for my 38-44 loads. On occasion I use 358311 158 gr RN (OAL 1.550 and Lyman 44 data with 2400) to duplicate later factory 38-44 loadings. The 358429 I seat/crimp in its crimp groove (1.532 OAL) and the 358156 GCs I seat/crimp in lower crimp groove (1.525 OAL). These longer OALs makes them easily identifiable as 38-44 loads for use in my 357 Mag. These bullets are very accurate with loads I developed based on Handloader Oct 2016 edition and older Lyman loads...but I never exceed 11.0 grs 2400 or 6.0 grs Unique...and always use them in large frame 357 Magnum revolvers (Ruger B/H). Velocities were approx 1,100 FPS from 6 inch revolvers when tested.

Perhaps I’m a bit over cautious, but I don’t reload my brass for 38-44 loads more than twice (three times when initially using new brass). After their initial loadings, they become dedicated 38 Spl +P 158 gr loads (using Speer 14 +P data with Power Pistol). I find I get pretty long brass case life even shooting +P loadings (I pretty much given up on nickel plated brass since in my experience case mouths split much sooner.).

I am from the tail end of the 38 special duty gun and if you knew any cops, they would sweep the floor from indoor range qualifications and give you buckets of brass. Kind of like 9mm and 40 s&w these days. I have mine sorted in 30 cal ammo cans. Federal is used for plus P. Winchester for standard and Remington for wadcutters. I usually give away other brands to my buddies.
    My failures are almost always at the case mouth, of which when I see them, they get thrown in the brass bucket. I still think even 38-44 loads, the brass will still last a long time.

Thank you smkummer