MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 & 44 Mag Spacer

Boolit Master
    bigiron,

I have one you can have. PM your address... I think you might have got a quicker response on this forum with a little more polite request...just my opinion... but folks on this forum are really good at helping others out... anyway, send me your address and I'll get the spacer to you
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Banned
    Many years ago when I started reloading they didn't have a spacer in with the dies. You just adjusted them out for 38 special to 357mag, 44 special to 44 mag and it wasn't a problem. My dad may he rest in peace machined me a spacer to use and it came in handy. I adjusted my dies back to 38 special and when I wished to load 357 I installed the spacer which if memory is correct was roughly .125 in height and I believe its the same for 44 special to 44 mag. I always enjoyed using the spacer but to each his own. Note that was the day of the single stage press and one spacer was all I needed.

Banned
    [QUOTE=6bg6ga;4596559]Many years ago when I started reloading they didn't have a spacer in with the dies. You just adjusted them out for 38 special to 357mag, 44 special to 44 mag and it wasn't a problem.
    Correct. Lyman had spacers available for purchase, they were a separate catalog item and not included with the dies. From the early 1960's.

Boolit Master
    38Special to 357Mag =0.135" spacer.

44Special to 44Mag = 0.125" spacer. (1/8")

If anyone else needs some, take your 0-1" micrometer or a 6" calipers to a hardware store(Ace Hardware has them. I picked up some there a couple years ago.) & check out the "specialty washers". Find the drawer with ones that have a 15/16" I.D.(hole) or just a small bit larger, for the die to fit inside and check the thicknesses on a few washers until you find one or more that meets the requirements.

If the washer are a touch thicker, you can grind them down with a grinder or even a belt sander to reach the thickness you desire. Same with the outer diameter. if the washer is wider across than you would like, simply grind it down to the diameter you wish.

Or, of course, if DIY is not your thing, you can buy them specifically made for the job from a reloading supplier, or have someone give ya one or more.

Up to you to decide what ya want to do. Just trying to share some info and help out.

BTW.... You can meet some interesting people sometimes, when you go into a store & bring your own measuring devices, to pick out something special for your own use. Sometimes a fellow reloader/handloader you had never met before.

G'Luck! in whatever folks choose to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

BTW.... You can meet some interesting people sometimes, when you go into a store & bring your own measuring devices, to pick out something special for your own use. Sometimes a fellow reloader/handloader you had never met before.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of years ago I went into the local parts store searching for an "O" ring for my Lyman sizer. The parts man, that I knew pretty well, recognized the sizer for what it was and we got to talking reloading and shooting. I never knew that he was an old Bullseye shooter. This resulted in a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights showing up unexpected in my driveway one afternoon!
    Last edited by lightman; 03-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

A couple of years ago I went into the local parts store searching for an "O" ring for my Lyman sizer. The parts man, that I knew pretty well, recognized the sizer for what it was and we got to talking reloading and shooting. I never knew that he was an old Bullseye shooter. This resulted in a 5 gallon bucket od wheel weights showing up unexpected in my driveway one afternoon!
    Yep. Exactly what I meant.

IMO, sometimes I think it is better than buying online, where ya don't get the same chance to meet someone that shares the same interest(s). Sometimes it is the chance to tell someone about what you do with handloading & they become interested as well.
    It surprises me how many folks think what we do is like "alchemy", or some mystic art, and don't really know about such things. So, it is kind of enjoyable to tell them about it. For me, anyway...

Getting folks interested in casting/handloading is a good thing, IMO.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Bub
    This thread gave me an idea. I load 327 Federal and 32 H&R. Those dies did not come with a spacer. I think I will set my dies up for 32 H&R and use the spacer from my 44 Special/44 Mag die set to see how it works with the 327. Should work fine as the difference in case lengths are the same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
    I just got a 44 Special, and need one of these spacers. If one of you folks has one to spare PM me.
    I load 44 magnums, and 44 Specials and have done so for years. I just adjust them up or down depending on the caliber, and have never used the washer. Not sure whether the washer is for 44 mags or 44 specials. From what y'all said I reckon it is for going from 44 special to 44 magnum, huh?

Boolit Master
    Check Amazon for the arbor shim assortment I posted about above.You'll have control over the thickness.

Boolit Master
    My dies (LEE and Hornady) didnt come with a spacer. I made one at work just to save me some time. Works great.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12