WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 & 44 Mag Spacer

Boolit Master

357 & 44 Mag Spacer

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but do you really need to use the spacer they send with 38/357 and 44/44mag dies if you are only going to reload the mag versions? I never in the past, but just got back into 357 and read the instructions on the dies...it doesn't say they are optional... I would think as long as I set them up for magnums without the spacer they would be ok... or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master

No your not missing any thing. I have had .357Mag & .44Mag die sets for 45years. And .38Spl & .44Spl too. Had them before the die washers came out.

If your NEVER going to load the shorter cases, then set up for MAG Length cases.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Just pack them back into the die boxes and keep them there, just in case you have a need for them sometime down the road.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never considered them. I reloaded many, both Specials and Magnums on a single stage and figgered the dies were being screwed in and out, adjusting dies was just part of the process. I didn't rely on a washer placed under a die lock ring to be as repeatable as I wanted, nor did I use a lock ring as a stop. I checked all the adjustments whenever I installed a die...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Some of my sets came with a washer ...I don't use them because they won't work in the CoAx press .... Some my dies especially sizer dies have not been moved since they were set up ... for some that has been over forty years ....

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all. That was what I was thinking, just wanted to double check.... thanks again
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master

Started reloading in 1967 38/357 and have never needed a spacer...in fact spacers didn't exist then, we just adjusted the dies....Whoa..how stone age was that !
    Still have no spacer and I can still screw around when necessary ....a loading die that is.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have used a spacer for loading .38 Spl/,367 Mag.It works fine.I currently have an arbor shim assortment I bought from Amazon that allows better control of the thickness needed.I use them when using dies for cartridges they weren't for.

Boolit Master

I'm lazy. I've got a .357 tool head for my 650 and a .38 spl tool head.

I picked up 200 pieces of Starline .44 spl brass a couple months ago. Now I'm going to have to set up a .44 spl tool head to go with my .44 mag.
    NRA Benefactor.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have never used them ether. I adjust dies every time i reload.

Boolit Master
    I use them for 38/357 and 44 Spl/44 Mag. Never found any difference, accuracy wise, for revolvers. For my carbines, I have dedicated RCBS Cowboy dies, set up for the magnum versions. However, I do use them, when I neck size...........adjusting the carbide sizer for different length bullets. For example: I adjust the sizer to neck size to the depth of the longest cast bullet I load. For shorter bullets, I will use the spacer, rather than adjust the die, to size to a lesser depth. BTW, I use the Redding set with three different thicknesses. Can use any combination to obtain the depth I want.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I wound up with a new set of RCBS 38/357 carbide dies with the spacer.
    I got rid of both my steel 38 special and 357 dies.
    I use the spacer and am very happy with the set...dale

Boolit Master
    I’ve never bought dies with a spacer ring included. However, I’ve accumulated some thin rings that evidently were locked by a vertical set screw against an adjacent thin ring; one supposes for a quicker loosening and readjustment than the horizontal set screw and lead pellet in the thicker rings normally encountered. (I generally have to take the die out of the press, loosen the set screw and tap the ring against my bench top to loosen the lead pellet so the ring turns easily again.)

I use these thin rings for spacers on bottleneck rifle dies normally set for full-length resizing. The tenth-or eighth-inch offset allows me to necksize without significant reduction of the body, until the extraction gets sticky and I have to remove the ring and full-length resize again. I imagine they could be used this way in straight cylindrical shells as well.

So they don’t necessarily have to sit uselessly in your die box because you don’t have a shorter case to load.

Boolit Master

I don't use the spacer for reforming but I do use it for seating bullets
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have been using RCBS reloading dies for years to reload .38Spl, .357Mag, .44Spl and .44Mag and have never used the spacer ring they provide.
    I have separate die sets for each caliber and separate seating dies for each bullet style.
    I also have separate die sets to use in my RockChucker and for my Hornady LnLs.
    I don't like readjusting dies so I set them up and leave them alone.

Boolit Master

Nice 375supermag.
    I am assuming in your case, cost isn`t an issue...dale

Boolit Bub
    I just got a 44 Special, and need one of these spacers. If one of you folks has one to spare PM me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Nice 375supermag.
    I am assuming in your case, cost isn`t an issue...dale
    Hi...
    Cost is always an issue but these die sets and seating dies along with the various presses we're purchased over quite a few years.
    Buying an extra set of dies or an additional seating die only costs about what a single box of 7mm Magnum rifle ammunition. The dies will, with proper care, last a lifetime so the cost over the years is insignificant.
    FWIW, several of my carbide die sets were bought in new condition at auctions for very little cost.

I also have several dies in my more common calibers that I've accumulated over the years. Some were given to me, others were purchased cheaply at gun shows, yard sales, etc. Having dedicated dies for specific loads and bullets is very convenient, and amortized out over the years amounts to pennies in expense.

If you let people know you reload ammunition, all kinds of "stuff" comes your way, often at no cost, or in trades.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
    I just got a 44 Special, and need one of these spacers. If one of you folks has one to spare PM me.
    No one has one ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast