Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Crimp

Crimp

Taper crimp or roll crimp on 38 full wadcutters. BB wadcutters. I'm thinking taper crimp since they are mixed headstamp and it would seem the would be slightly different in length. I'm thinking a taper crimp would be more consistent, of course that does not take into account brass thickness.

I roll crimp, either into a crimp groove or over the front. I think it gives me more consistent ignition.
    For matches, I use the same headstamp brass and trim to length. For plinking, I use mixed headstamp and don't trim.
    There really isn't much difference in accuracy.

I'm thinking taper crimp since they are mixed headstamp and it would seem they would be slightly different in length. I'm thinking a taper crimp would be more consistent, of course that does not take into account brass thickness.

anf, I've tried both ways, but find taper crimping eliminates the problem of varying case lengths and sometimes too small crimp grooves. Accuracy has been unaffected in 3 revolvers with 3 different loads and CB designs.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would roll crimp. I roll crimp all revolver rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

I get best accuracy when I lightly roll crimp into the boolits top crimping groove .
    Over the top edge of the boolit , totally flush, was less accurate as was double ended bevel based cast boolits. Best results came with cast , flat based , 148 gr and 160 gr. full wadcutters over 2.7 grains of Bullseye .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I don't use full WC boolits; I do use several thousand HBWC (Remington) in R-P cases. I taper crimp in a final operation. I find that my 1941 Colt OMT, my 1951 Colt OMS, and my 1961 Colt OMM all function with better accuracy with a taper crimp that just restores the straight walls of the cartridge cases. I.E....just take the flare out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    [I]I've tried both ways, but find taper crimping eliminates the problem of varying case lengths and sometimes too small crimp grooves.
    I'll second that. The only time I roll crimp is when loading a batch with consistent length, otherwise I end up with a headache.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.