RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 38 super rifle?

Boolit Buddy

38 super rifle?

Could a Spanish destroyer be turned into a 38 super? I just came across about 200 lbs of 38 super brass and I need something to shoot it in.... and I would love to have a rifle... any ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    More than likely it will work. The 9mm Largo is essentially the same, on the outside, as a 9x23 Winchester. So, you can't clean up the chamber by reaming, since the 9mm Largo is slightly smaller at the case mouth, but larger at the base.
    I have 3 9x23 Win 1911 barrels, and a 38 Super round will fit inside just fine. In fact, the reverse is also true. A 9x23 Win round will fit into a 38 Super chamber. The 38 Super is a straight wall case and the 9mm Largo is a tapered case. So, the fired case will come out tapered. So, for reloading, one should really use a 9mm based die set to avoid over working the brass.
    Having said that, the rim of a standard 38 Super round is about .010" larger than that of the 9mm Largo. So, whether it actually works or not will depend on the rim fitting into the bolt face recess.
    Disclaimer. I know nothing about the Spanish made Destroyer Carbine other than what little I have read about it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No reason why not AS LONG AS you stay within the older .38 Colt Rimless Smokeless (not Super) or 9mm Largo loading limits, in keeping with the pressure limitations of your Destroyer action.

The principle difference between the two cartridges is that the 38 ACP is semi-rimmed and the 9mm Bergmann/Largo cartridge is rimless. The difference in rim diameter between the two is minimal. The 9mm Largo chamber is set up for headspace to be controlled by the chamber mouth and the length of the .38 Super cases. Some .38 Super cases are too short and cause misfires because the minimal extractor purchase does not sufficiently hold the .38 Super case against the boltface for consistent ignition. The fix is to set back the barrel 1/2 thread so that cases headspace correctly on the case mouth, rather than the semi-rim.

Be sure to read Larry Gibson's info on loading data for these before assembling ammuniton!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...troyer-Carbine
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

How about one of the 9mm Highpoint carbines?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

38 Super is a high pressure round, may be a tad too much for an old Spanish Destroyer...
    Send me those pesky brass (not quite a 9mm nor a 9x23) & I'll dispose them for you

Boolit Buddy
    I have so much brass I now can justify buying something in 38 super( I bought an old ipsc) shooters stuff so 10,000s of bullets and like I said 200 lbs of brass probably. I’m more of a bolt action guy and don’t want another 1911, does anyone make a 38 super Glock?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Seems somewhere I saw where I guy had rebarrelled a TT33 to .38 Super?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Sell the brass and buy a 350 Legend bolt gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Sell the brass and buy a 350 Legend bolt gun.
    Now that is tempting, I’ve got one on order as soon as my LGS gets one in

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I have so much brass I now can justify buying something in 38 super( I bought an old ipsc) shooters stuff so 10,000s of bullets and like I said 200 lbs of brass probably. I’m more of a bolt action guy and don’t want another 1911, does anyone make a 38 super Glock?
    Breech face on slide has to be a tad bigger than a 9mm, line a 40SW or 357Sig. I bet there's an aftermarket barrel out there.
    If you plan on unloading those brass...don't look any further

In normal loads, there's not much difference between 9mm Largo and .38 Super. Really. A TT33 and a CZ52 are just a barrel away from being a .38 Super. I would try them in the Destroyer and see if they work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sell the super brass and put it towards something you want.

Boolit Master

I agree on selling the brass and you can probably get your .38 Super 1911 and then regret selling some of the brass...

That said, most 9mm Largo Destroyers were chambered to also shoot .38ACP (original lower pressure cartridge with same dimensions as the 38 Super) .38ACP reload data is out there on the internet and older reload manuals and if you can't find it, contact Sierra Bullets and they'll send you a PDF copy of their 38ACP and 9mm Largo load data so you can safely load the brass for your Destroyer Carbine.

good score though.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    In normal loads, there's not much difference between 9mm Largo and .38 Super. Really. A TT33 and a CZ52 are just a barrel away from being a .38 Super. I would try them in the Destroyer and see if they work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    yep. My Star Super pistol in 9mm Largo is my second favorite after my .400 Corbon 1911.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Super Moderator

45 ACP Destroyer

...............Years ago I converted a Destroyer carbine to 45 ACP. It's not an ideal alteration due to a few drawbacks in how things "Align" (magazine, chamber, bolt) and the OD of the 45 cartridge itself. However it makes a heck-uva single shot! From my experience, and mine alone I would have no issue in a conversion to 38 Super from the Largo. On the other hand, I certainly cannot suggest someone else do it

Looking at the 2 lugs on the bolt and the 'Build' of the carbine, just from 'Appearances' (which is VERY far from scientific) it seems to be stout. Once again simply relaying my own experiences and NOT telling someone else to be so dumb. I was lube-sizing the Lee 457-340F rifle slugs to 458" and then running them up through a Lee .452" push through die. I will NOT relate any loads or velocities but I will say that I switched to EC-43 steel cases. I had to as the brass CCC headstamped 45 ACP cases I was using would develop an internal circumferential crack at the base/wall juncture. Never had a problem with headspace or any other issues.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance