RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Gas Check Dies

Boolit Mold

Gas Check Dies

Good evening.

I'm in the market for some gas check making dies.
    I've seen a few styles, some requiring multiple steps some that produce a finished gas check.

My current need is for 454 Cassull, but I also use checks in 501, 308, and .277. I was wondering if anyone here made them to sell. Thank you in advance.

Boolit Master
    A Vendor member here may be able to help ya out...:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...arlin-s-Corner

https://www.patmarlins.com/

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Or freechex from charles darnall.
    I have several dies from him.
    357, 44, 223 and 309.
    One stroke with a arbor press --> one gas check.
    No hard work at all.

Although PMs will do the job, there are better dies out there. Even my DIY die works better

Boolit Master
    I know of nothing that works as well as the Freechex dies that Charlie Darnall made.

Boolit Master
    +1 I use a Freechex III. A quality tool that makes a quality GC.

Boolit Master
    I use the Freechex III & IV. If you want to make gas checks, when it comes to tools I don't know how dropping a perfect check in a single stroke can get any better.

Boolit Master
    Where are the Freechex available at? Parts of the website are not working.

Boolit Master
    You might try freechex.net, send him an email or letter to see if he has any tools left for sale. I suspect most that are lucky enough to have one of his tools are not going to part with it.

I think the fellow stopped making the Freechex awhile back. There are plans available and one might get a machinist to make you one. I think even Pat Marlin is getting away from making them but is possibly still taking orders.

The one supplier I knew of for metal cut into strips and on rolls has stopped selling it in the US last I heard. Maybe someone else or some other company has stepped into that niche. It isn't that hard to cut strips using a paper cutter, or one might find a HVAC shop or seamless gutter place with a splitter that would cut your stuff for you at a cheap rate. Aluminum from Ace Hardware is cost effective. Copper is freaking expensive, takes out a lot of the "savings" over buying them ready made.

One step vs. two steps I guess it depends on time constraints and how many you plan on making as to how much the difference matters to you. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a two step check maker from Pat Marlin they offer one advantage, they fit a reloading press the FreeChex had the single step to press out a check going for it but it needed an Arbor Press not a reloading press. Those are available for $59 at Harbor Freight so not really a big deal.

I went with the PM check maker because I have a smallish bench and didn't want another press just for checks. Also my production amounts are low. Honestly I watch for sales and won't hesitate to purchase Gator checks from NOE when they go on sale.

I like the independence of being able to make own checks, but it takes a lot of shooting to make the savings really add up to much. One can buy several thousand checks for the cost of a die, let alone the materials to feed that die. It's cheaper but not by a lot. Like reloading 12 gauge vs. buying them at Walmart. If you shoot enough then saving 3 cents a shell starts to matter but it takes a lot of shells at 3 cents savings to pay off a reloading press and charge bushings.

Worth it to me for the independence making own checks provides, not that concerned with the rate of production. Others with kids at home and more demands on their time might find the faster production highly desirable. Dexterity issue could make handling checks twice more of an issue for some. Could be trying to feed a high capacity autoloader or shoot competitively, or like me feed mostly revolvers and bolt actions so cranking them out by the thousands isn't required.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat