Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Diabetic Ketosis

Diabetic Ketosis

As some may know I have gone through extreme weight loss and no aperent reason for the loss. While in the hospital a few months ago the dr said the only reason He could find for the loss was the Diabetic ketosis but never elaborated on it. Today My home Nurse brought the same theory up.

Hoping for some of our members with information on the subject to elaborate with helpful information.

Thanks for any and all help that is forth comming.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master
    Ketosis is where your blood sugar gets so low that your body switches to burning fat for energy. Not knowing your diet, blood glucose values, or health history I can't tell you more. Your home health nurse should have taught you thos or given you a resource to look it up. Teaching is a primary aspect of nursing.

Former RN.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Your doctor should have run some tests to find out what's going on. Seems like a bad decision on his part not to have followed up on it. Sudden weight loss for no apparent reason should always be looked into. Many conditions can cause this to happen. As far as blood glucose levels being involved, that's a pretty easy test to do...especially if you were already in the hospital. Talk to your doctor again and don't go to web sites to get a medical diagnosis. The worst places on the planet for medical and legal questions is the internet....especially forums. Good luck with this.

My sugar levels have been kept in the 110 to 125 level. Today My A1c level was below 6. I am on glucerna 1.2 at 8 and a half cans a day through the tube.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master

Ketosis is a result of elevated ketones that affects metabolism & is a symptom that has to be dealt with depending on the underlying cause, which some here mentioned should be diagnosed.
    Weight loss (extreme in your case) should be of concern to your primary care practitioner, diabetic ketosis notwithstanding.
    Healing prayers your way.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

There are several websites where you can look it up such as The Mayo Clinic's. But I'm beginning to think maybe you better see another Doctor. Not following this up with tests doesn't sound right to me.

I have an apt tomorrow with an Endo Dr at 1030 so hope to gain more answers.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yes i managed to lose 80+ pounds in less than 30 days. Due to being put on lipitor for a second time truely believe its what gave me diabetes in first place. Was put on it in 3 weeks had diabetes was taken off right away next time put back on it and blood sugar went over 500 with weight loss took me off and blood sugar went below 180 doctor said if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't believe it. Now they say it can cause diabetes in women not real sure how to take that.

Medical web sites are good for gaining enough knowledge to ask good questions. Sort of like the folks here that read the stickies and do some reading on casting or reloading before they ask a question. They get better answers. People know they are serious, they get more respect and more ready support. Especially from some members who tend to dismiss those that can't be bothered to put in any effort.

So learn what you can about the condition from good sources such as mayo clinic or sites devoted to the disease or condition. Then when you meet with the doctor you can ask better questions. Some research that leave you knowing what might cause the symptom and more about the suspected cause put forward by your doctor you should be able to find a decent amount about what could be the causing the condition, what tests are commonly used to determine a cause, and what the doctor can expect to learn from the tests they order.

Hate to say it but doctors give more and better information to their patients that ask questions and seem to have made the effort to become informed. Not any different I guess than an auto mechanic really. You ask them good questions and they will give you more respect as a customer. Now some doctors may like being questioned and you being "active" and some may not like it as much. But I think either way you get more respectful treatment and better information if that is where you set the relationship.

Most important there are no dumb questions, unless you count the ones you thought of that you should have asked but didn't. Especially true about your health. Or max loads, those questions have answers that can save your life too so yeah ask as much as you can.

PS write it down, you won't remember all of what you want to ask. Especially not with a potentially serious condition. And all the unfamiliar medical terms.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Your doctor should have run some tests to find out what's going on. Seems like a bad decision on his part not to have followed up on it. Sudden weight loss for no apparent reason should always be looked into. Many conditions can cause this to happen. As far as blood glucose levels being involved, that's a pretty easy test to do...especially if you were already in the hospital. Talk to your doctor again and don't go to web sites to get a medical diagnosis. The worst places on the planet for medical and legal questions is the internet....especially forums. Good luck with this.
    This right here.

Of note, the Jevity 1.2 means 1200 kcal/L. Sounds like they have you on a restricted calorie "diet". Ketosis is different from Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), which is a medical emergency.

Went to the endocrinologist today and he said I dont have ketosis or ketoasidosia (sp). No reason for the weight loss or lack of weight gain on a 2500 cal intake.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master
    My suggestion is to make an appointment with your primary doctor. Explain your concerns to him/her, and ask if they don't think they should do follow-on testing to try to determine the cause of your weight loss. If they balk, request a second opinion - to which you are legally entitled. In fact, I think I'd request a second opinion regardless of their decision. Something serious is going on with you, and they need to determine the cause and then go from there.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I have had done every test posible including eating radioactive food and checking the time for it to pass through. At this point My hope is the weight gain will get Me to a point I can walk more than 5 ft to the bed from the recliner. Ihave been confined to the recliner and bed since July 28. The Lord has a reason for My being in this position and I trust Him fully.

Thanks for the replys.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen