Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is the quality of the new Marlin 1894-s

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast

How is the quality of the new Marlin 1894-s

I'm looking at the new Marlin 357 carbine but I'm hesitant because of the quality issues since Remington took over. I'm hearing that the newest ones are pretty good quality. What kind of luck have you people been having with the new Marlin 1894-s?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

The new ones in the Marlin/Remington display at the SHOT Show in January were really good. I talked to the project manager at the show and he said that was one of the things he's been working on, bringing up the quality.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That's the kind of info I was hoping for. Thanks a lot. It would be nice to get the thoughts of someone that just bought one. It's either that or the little Ruger bolt action. But I prefer Walnut and steel over stainless and plastic.

Dave, I can't help you on the Marlin but can highly recommend the Ruger. I have the 357 and it is a great little rifle. I recently installed a spring and bolt shim kit from MCarbo that definitely helped the trigger and may had helped accuracy - I haven't really tested it from the bench. The rifle is more accurate than I can hold.
    I am also a big fan of the Rossi 92 clones if one of those has any interest for you. My latest versions wear red dot sights on NOE barrel mounts.
    Tony

I've heard good things about the Rossi. I only hang up with putting a scope on it my eyes aren't getting any younger. The Red Dot sight you put on maybe the answer though. I like the ease of disassembly that the Marlin has. I've done a few trigger jobs on the Marlins and I'm getting familiar with them.

I don't know if there is a difference in QC on different Marlin models. There is still problems in 30/30s & 45/70s
    as of this past fall. I have mounted scopes and sighted in a Ruger 77/357 and several 77/44s. Not having another 357 to compare to 77/357 all I can say is it shot under 1" at 60yds. The 77/44s outshot my 94JM and I would have to say it's best 44carbine. I don't like the looks of them but they are shooters.

Boolit Master
    I really appreciate hearing a positive review about the current Marlin 1894 series. I was at the NRA convention (Nashville) a couple of years ago, just after Remington released their first production of the 1894s. I picked up the one example they had on display and looked it over. It was awful. The wood-to-metal fit was well off on anyone's scale and their metal finishing was horrible. The barrel looked as it had been recovered from a home fire, coarse buffed and plated with the old style "black chrome" finish of years ago. It was very black, very shiny and had multiple "over-buffed) waves in it. I set the rifle back in the rack and drifted on without giving feedback to the people at the booth but knew they were in trouble. Now that they are getting their quality control back in line I will be more enthusiastic about adding one of their current production models to the herd.

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked one up and posted here in the forum. I had some (unfounded) concerns which are detailed in the post. I’m really happy with mine about 150 rounds in. I put a cheap Leupold on it and can repeat honest 2 MOA groups at 50 with XTP’s, both 158 & 180. I’ll go to 100 and fine tune the loads a little more on my next trip.

I’m on my phone right now, and can’t figure out how to link to another post. Maybe someone will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem I just looked up your post using your name. I'm glad people are having good luck with the new Marlins. I think I'll be getting a blued one but hopefully the performance will be the same. Now I just got to find the best price.

Boolit Master
    I bought an 1894 44M just under a year ago. Within it's limitations, like a really slow twist barrel, it's getting quite smooth, it's accurate, and it's lighter than the one with more steel remaining in the barrel you're asking about. Now that store has a 45LC 1894, and that one is really lightweight due to the thinner barrel wall. Thank God, I don't own a 45LC handgun or that one would come home with me, too.

Boolit Master
    same I got a 1894 44 year or so ago and no real problems with it, trigger is kind of heavy but pretty clean, fit and finish is good unless your super picky. all I did was add a leather lever wrap and skinner sights and I like it a lot.

I hope you find a Marlin you are happy with Dave. Julie loves the work you did on hers.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I saw a 94 and a 95 yesterday at the gun show. The 95 was an octagonal carbine with a weirdly proud forearm but nice otherwise. I didn't handle the 94 but the fit looked better. The stock finish on both was thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks Waco I'm glad she is enjoying the gun. I've seen a few of the older ones but I'm not sure I'm okay with microgroove rifling. I I know some people have really good luck with cast bullets in microgroove I'm just not sure I want the extra challenge. I assume if I get a new one the first thing I'm going to do is tear it apart and tune the trigger up a little and smooth everything out. I had to do that with my older 1895 4570. It's a great shooter now.

Boolit Master

I have the new 1894S (44M) and I'm quite pleased with it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

In theory, with CNC they should be fine. They cannot afford to get the fit and finish that would be expected at the price point they sell at. For now the JMs should continue to go up in value. They are getting better. As much as I like my JMs, a new CNC Marlin would be fine with me, if they just get it right. Better, but not there yet.

I was at Cabela's today and found a JM stamped Marlin with micro Groove Barrel and a Lyman 66 peep sight. I was able to get out the door with it for 720 which was pretty decent considering they're hard to find now even on GunBroker. This is like new I can't tell if it's been fired. The recoil pad doesn't fit real well and there's a slight flaw on the top of the front stock but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. I already have a 360 diameter sizing die lined up. I've heard the microgroove barrel is like fat bullets so that's what I'm going to do.

Banned
    I have two new 2018 Marlins, a 1894C and a 1895 in 45-70.

Both are very good.

They cannot afford to get the fit and finish that would be expected at the price point they sell at.
    So, why can Henry? New 1894Cs on Buds are running $650. That's the same money as a Big Boy steel. I intensely dislike the tube-loading nonsense on Henrys and the fact they are about a pound overweight. If anything the Henrys should be MORE expressive to produce with that brass tube nonsense and I'd assume lower production volumes.

And what of Mossberg 464s, which are USA made? Granted it is not 357, but they are basically the same thing. I have one and it bests the quality of any Rossi or Marlin I've seen or owned. It about equals the Henry. Mine cost me $406.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    curious shooter - I also wonder the same thing as you. Right now, I'm changing things up as I've gotten older - selling some guns I don't shoot and wanting two lever guns - 38/357 and 45 LC. I'm going to take a look at a Uberti '73 rifle this week as that is what I really want for 45 LC. Still on the ledge as to what I will do on a 38/357. Anyway . . . I've looked at a lot of videos on 38/357 lever guns - Rossie, Henry, Marlin, Uberti, Winchesster, etc. I'm guessing the 38/357 I get is going to get more harder use.

I own a Henry lever 22 - old Brooklyn address - and it's a great gun. I've looked at Big Boys in stores and they are impressive in the workmanship - but while a tubular magazine isn't a deal killer for me, I still prefer a loading gate/old west look/function. From what I'm seeing on the Marlin 94s - they seem to have their act together now . . . or more together than they did. I've read a number of reviews on the "newer" / "post problem" 94s and the majority of them are very positive. I've read two reviews that said that when they took the gun out of the box, they could not cycle the action -this was due to the shipping grease (evidently very ample amount) that was in the action from the factory - the lever was extremely hard to get down but once they got it down, they could remove the lever, bolt, ejector and once cleaned and lubricated, the action was smooth. Most of us would clean them in the manner anyway - which is a design plus in my mind over other brands. The finish is not the best on the stocks but ample - and hey, at least it has a walnut stock and not tupperware! Even if I go with something like a Uberti 73 carbine in 38/357, I still may pick up a Marlin for a kock around, put in the car, etc. gun. Laying a Henry next to a Marlin 94 and I agree for similar price, the higher quality is the Henry - if only they would go to a loading gate. I[m guessing the Marlin lower quality (fit, finish, etc.) is as a result of the bean counters. I'm not a fan of the pressed checkering nor a flat rubber buttplate - but if I get one, I could see making a new stock with a presant butt plate as a winter project.

What does impress me about the Marlin 94 is the easy take down to clean. Pull the lever screw, pull the lever, slide the bolt out and remove the ejector and clean, lube and reassemble. We all haver our own degrees of acceptability, likes and dislikes but what I hear and am seeing on video reviews, etc. - Marlin (Remington) has made a concentrated effort to improve the quality control issues and has done a decent job of it. Don't like the color or finish on the stock - should be an easy stripping and refinish job that will dress up the looks some. I'm looking at the 38/357 carbine and to me, it looks like a good lightweight carbine that should be a good shooter, especially with the Ballard rifling they have.

If you order one . . . I think I would ask when the gun was made as you never know hold old the stock is or how long it's been on the shelf. I, like everyone, want a "good deal" but am willing to pay a little more to actually see and handle what I'm buying rather than getting a random pick off the shelf somewhere . . bu ttha'st me. If I decide not to go the extra $$$ on a Uberti or if I look at a Marlin 94 and discover things I don't like, then I personally would consider a Henry . . . but besides the tubular magazine, the other thing that I don't like is the weight of them - it seems like they could trim down some and still have the same quality and materials without the extra weight to have to carry around, especially if using it for hunting, woods walking, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast