Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would like your input.

Boolit Master

I would like your input.

I met a fellow member, oteroman, here and in person. He posted a desire to trade lead for bullets. In our initial contact I SWAG 1.5 lb of lead for 1 lb of cast bullets asking if he thought that was fare? When we met at my house he brought it up and I dropped to 1.25 lb/lb cast. Is this fare? I do not want to cheat him or under bid.

What do you think?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Is he happy?

Boolit Buddy
    1:1.5 seems generous on your part. You have invested the time and coin in the equipment.

He's getting quality boolits for pennys mate.
    Last edited by Gatch; 03-04-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I met a fellow member, oteroman, here and in person. He posted a desire to trade lead for bullets. In our initial contact I SWAG 1.5 lb of lead for 1 lb of cast bullets asking if he thought that was fare? When we met at my house he brought it up and I dropped to 1.25 lb/lb cast. Is this fare? I do not want to cheat him or under bid.

What do you think?
    1.5 lbs of lead for 1 lb of boolits is extremely generous of you.
    If I could get that deal I would probably quit casting and just have you you do them for me.
    Think of it like this. I give you 75 lbs of lead, which is worth $75. You cast 50 lbs of 150 grain bullets for me. That would be approx 2500 boolits casted for $25.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    We are at 1:1.25.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never swapped lead for bullets or the other way around so I really don't know. Are you both happy with the trade?

Moderator Emeritus

Peter Minuit, the 4th Director of the Dutch North American colony of New Netherland from 1626 until 1631, traded $24 worth of beads and trinkets for Manhattan from the Lenape Natrive Americans. It seemed a fair trade for both parties. If YOU are happy, and the TRADEE is happy, the only hiccup might be "trader's remorse". With lead before and after -- I'd suggest there be so many variables -- even hardness of bullets, sizing diameter, lub used, etc. -- versus almost as many with the lead alone -- I'd think upon walking away happy -- you'd both stay happy.
    Just my thoughts...

A bargain is when both parties feel like they cheated the other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I've never swapped lead for bullets or the other way around so I really don't know. Are you both happy with the trade?
    That is my way of thinking.^

If you are, then good for both.

If anyone has any remorse over it... Then just don't do it again & consider it a learning moment you paid for & won't forget.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Well, consider it this way - he brings you 125 lb of lead, you cast up 100 lb of bullets for him and you get 25 lb of lead - about $25 worth. How long will it take you to cast up 100 lb of lead? I don't think you're anywhere close to "cheating" him - I'm thinking he's getting heck of a deal!

Boolit Master
    No I get 125 lb of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Hes getting a deal I agree. I wouldnt touch that deal unless it was half for me and half back to you in bullets. Takes a lot of time to cast and time is money.

Boolit Master
    If you're happy and he's happy go for it . I find myself with nothing better to do + I enjoy casting .

Boolit Buddy
    I'd say 2:1 would be better. Or more. As I said before, it's your time and experience and equipment that is producing the bullets..

I have been making shot for 12 to 14 years now. When I was doing it on a large scale (before I blew my back out) I would trade 100# of lead in ingots for 50# of my shot, or if raw lead not in ingots 60% for me, and raw unsorted wheel weights 70% for me. I could always trade into lead no problems there. As long as both of you were happy with the deal that is what counts.

Boolit Master

You did not say how far he traveled or whether he spent "significant" time and money to travel there. If you are dealing in small quantities then whatever you two decide is fair - is fair. Since he came to your SWAG offer of 1# of your boolits for 1.5#'s of his lead (don't back down), I would recommend that you stay there if the cast weight is small (say < 10#'s) and learn from this experience.

EXAMPLE:

Given:
    The going rate of lead is $1 per pound.
    You have cast 10#'s of lead boolits.
    You agree to 1# of your boolits in trade for 1.5#'s of someone's raw lead.

Assume (for this example):
    You have invested $10.00 to purchase your lead (still worth $10.00 even if you got it free).
    You spend 2 hours to heat, flux, cast, and sort the 10#'s of salable boolits.

Find:
    The equivalent dollar amount of your time in this example.

Your investment = $10.00 for your lead AND 2 hours of your time in casting the boolits
    Your net proceed in trade = $15.00 worth of lead

Your "profit" is $5.00 more than your investment, so your time in this example is worth $5.00 for the 2 hours, or $2.50 per hour.

Consider:

If you back down to 1# of boolits cast for 1.25# of lead traded, then YOUR time (in this example) is worth only $1.25 per hour.

...and in either case Sir, these are not sufficient remunerations - and imo significantly less than POVERTY wages.

If you are dealing in a larger quantity (say >20#'s), then listen to the experience of this board and your gut (imo - you are giving away too much). You have put an investment of TIME into the boolits. Your time is worth more than you have bargained for. The value of your time is the investment that you are negotiating. What is it worth to you?

The value of your time is significantly LESS if you added Tin to your alloy...hoping you have not.

Also, no deal is done until the exchanges are made. You made a gentlemen's agreement and then renegotiated FOR LESS. The fact that you didn't know your own value is not on him. If it is for a small quantity, take the hit and learn.

If for a large quantity, you should renegotiate (for MORE) or back out of the deal - after which he will probably go away mad. That too will be a learning experience for you - called welching on a deal. You may be written up as a DEADBEAT and banned on this Board if you advertise and welch.

Not saying this is Universal, but a lot of members here would understand if you misspoke or miscalculated. Attempt to strike a better deal for you, one that is OK with him, you both go away from the deal a little less enthusiastic than when entering, and learn from it.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    You are bartering your time and skill for a certain amount of raw material. How you decide to value your time and the worth of the lead oteroman is supplying is something you will have to figure out. I know I can cast a 100 lbs of H&G #68's (230 gr) a lot faster than 92 gr lyman 358242's. Oteroman will have to decide if your offer is amenable to him. If both parties can come to a satisfactory agreement then it's a good deal.
    As a teenager I worked part time at a tire store. I would swap 2 or 3 five gallon buckets of wheel weights for a small bucket of fishing weights. I got the wheel weights for nothing except the effort to put em in the car and drop them off at my friends house. Seemed like a pretty good deal to both of us at the time.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-me-9mm-124RN

I see the "deal" you struck in the link. It wasn't a "classified ad" - and his "lurking" post count is not high for membership in 2015 though you have > 6 times his # of posts prowling around CastBoolits since 2014.

Perhaps I am "all wet" in my thinking and assumptions. Perhaps a "Magma Master Caster" is a stone cold boolit maker, in which you sit back and it cranks out boolits PDQ. IDK...

You decide.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I think Land Owner explained it perfectly. Time is money.

I wouldn’t cast if I could trade 1.25-1.5 lbs of lead for 1 lb of cast bullets. That’s an insane deal for the guy regardless of the Magma Master Caster situation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    No I get 125 lb of lead.
    JD, I think we all misunderstood the deal. I think I see what you're saying with the 1:1.25 trade, there is actually 2.25 lb involved, he gets 1 lb cast into bullets and you keep 1.25 lb? Is that correct?

Meaning he will bring you 225 lb of lead, you'll cast up 100 lbs of lead for him keeping 125 lb of lead for yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast