Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lapping a mould

Boolit Master

lapping a mould

Just reading through again, Kraschinbern’s suggestion makes a lot of sense. For $20 and a couple hours of work you’d have your boolit. I also like Red Bear’s suggestions, I’m tempted to try it myself. I have that mould but rarely use it in favor of the Karabiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have a mold that had been shaved to make it lighter, it was a mess, I'm still working with it to make it shoot good.

You change the profile of a boolit the odds are really good that it won't shoot well. (unless you get lucky). Boolits are designed/engineered to shoot straight. Nose to drive band weight size and a bunch of stuff thats way over my head.

I've honed out/Leemented several molds to even out the cavities (mostly Lyman 4 cavity molds that the factory messed up on and I got for a song). Like previously mentioned, I wouldn't go over 4 thou.

You can increase the boolit diameter by PC'ing but there again I wouldn't go over 4-5 thou. YMMV

Boolit Master

lapping a mould

Kraschenbirn, how does that cut-down Mauser boolit shoot? I’m guessing you keep it in the 1000-1200 fps range.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Kraschenbirn, how does that cut-down Mauser boolit shoot? I’m guessing you keep it in the 1000-1200 fps range.

Never tried shooting it. The boolit in the pic was a 'one-off' experiment to see it milling down a Lee 324-175 would work to produce something in the weight range the OP was looking for. I just cut down a couple of 'as-cast' with a razor saw and squared up the bases on a belt sander. Btw, my two samples weighed within 1 grain of each other.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12