MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol bullets in Rifle

Boolit Master
    For the sake of clarification, my intent with using jacketed ball to delead a gun was just to reduce the time at the bench getting it lead free. No doubt some lead remains in the rifling. The brass scrubber on a brush works quite well as mentioned. I have employed a Kroil soak in the past or still do if running jacketed isn't an option. If I'm really having a tough time I have a Lewis lead remover but I don't use the heavy artillery unless I need it. I go with an "escalation of force" kind of thought process!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I had in the past use some lead rounds in my 44mag Red Hawk from the factory and it lead up bad on me. I read in my Lyman 3rd ed cast book about the 2 ways to get the lead out and one is use jacket rounds.I did that and it clean out the bad leading and just had to clean the copper out.Now I cast for that gun and others now and do not have that problem anymore.But like stated on the dia of the bullet to be of the right size other wise it will not help.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Another simple(and cheaper) way is to use wheat bran as a filler..........this quickly removes leading.

If you shoot both Jacketed bullets and cast bullets through a rifle the jacketed bullets will leave copper smears in the bore and this will give you a problem when you switch back to cast. The copper fouling will give you a lead filled bore been through this with shooting the 03-A3 and A1. If you shoot jacketed bullets you better do a good job getting the copper out before switching back to lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12