Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating Lee c309-200r

Boolit Buddy

Powder coating Lee c309-200r

I understand that the Lee c309-200r is a bore rider. If I powder coat it I might have issues. If I load a dummy round, will I be good to go if it chambers?

Banned
    With my NEI borerider I have found that you cannot PC the nose or it won't chamber. I float the PC on water and dip the back of the boolit in. Set aside, let dry, then bake.

Some 9.3s I did that way for a tight throated Ruger No. 1 in 9.3x74

Boolit Buddy
    Explain how the float procedure works. First time heave heard of this procedure

Boolit Master
    Ya my heavier weight bore riders i also powder coat and when you chamber and take one back out you can see the start of the rifling where it dents the PC about a thousandth deep. Only thing you would need to take note of is if it engraves so much that it stays there when unchambered but thats usually not the case and its fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Explain how the float procedure works. First time heave heard of this procedure
    You put 1" of warm water in a pie pan and sift the PC powder (it floats) on to the water. You p/u the boolit by the snout and dip it straight down into the water as far as you want the PC to be up. Pull it straight up and the PC adheres to the wet part of the boolit. Set on some wax paper, let dry and bake.

Boolit Master
    I should have also said check if it pushes the bullet in the case when chambered. if it don't seat the bullet further and it don't stick in the riffling when unchambered theres no need for further action imo.

Boolit Buddy
    Is tumble lube a better option for a bore rider then?

Boolit Master
    I meant further action as in trying something else. slight engraving on the bore ride portion is fine unless It causes the two possible problems I said. just make some and check I wouldn't discount it without trying first.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    You put 1" of warm water in a pie pan and sift the PC powder (it floats) on to the water. You p/u the boolit by the snout and dip it straight down into the water as far as you want the PC to be up. Pull it straight up and the PC adheres to the wet part of the boolit. Set on some wax paper, let dry and bake.
    That's a cool technique.
    WWG1WGA

Banned
    With any boolit I have tried (30, 35, 9.3, 40 & 45) that is a true bore rider, IF you PC the nose, it will not chamber in a SAMMI spec chamber.,

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Whoa! taking hydrodipping to the next level...thanks for the info

Boolit Master

Trust me, whether or not you can PC the Lee 309-200R depends upon the chamber/throat of rifle you're loading for. That boolit, PC'd and sized .311 is the 'go-to' for my 30-40 Krag but won't chamber in any of my 'modern' .30 cals. On the other hand, I have another bore-rider design...the Arsenal 309-188PC (196 gr. from #2 alloy)...that, with its .299 nose, was designed to be coated and shoots near-MOA from my Savage M10.

Another option would be to get an NOE push-thru sizer with .298 and .301 nose bushings and size the bore-rider nose before applying powder coat and, then, again after baking.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 03-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Could adjusting the seating depth compensate for the "bore hugging" without compromising pressure? I know the closer you are to rifling the better groups you get. BTW that is a cool work around SvenLindquist!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Man
    That’s a great procedure. I must have been living living under a rock again. I’m trying that method right now.
    Thanks much. JS

Boolit Buddy
    So I attempted to chamber a dummy round. It didn't go. I will try another dummy using the float method. The boolit in question is the Lee 200 in the OP.

Boolit Buddy
    Reading about this a bit I think that there are a couple things going on. A bore rider bullet is one that has the bands in the groove and the nose sits within the bore. So I think there are probably other bore rider designs where the boolit won't sit out far enough to have issues chambering. In fact, if I look at the Lee designs for 309's from 150-200 grains, the noses all look to be the same relatively speaking. I suspect that the front of all of those bullets will ride the bore. Won't they? Now if you PC them and they chamber, you'd have PC riding in the grooves, but not actually lead, for the nose of the boolit.

The tl309-230-5r and c312-155-2r on the other hand appear to be tapered designs that wouldn't be bore riders.

Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem.
    I built a sizing die for my RCBS sizer that had a dia of 0.300 inch.
    I then size just the bore riding part of the slug to 0.300 dia inch.
    It is an extra step, but it works.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

As Bill mentioned, it all comes down to the rifle's throat. I bet most rifle throats are too tight for the LEE 200 powder coated - my Savage 110 won't even think about chambering these, even with deep seating.

As an experiment, I cast up and powder coated a couple hunnert of these 200 grainers to see if I could get a M1 Garand with a trashed bore to shoot better. (Pie Plate size groups at 100 yards). This Garand is a Blue Sky Korean return with a sewer pipe bore. Throat like the Holland Tunnel. The Koreans used corrosive ammo. My Garand swallows these powder coated critters no problem. So how does it shoot? Welp, if winter ever ends here in SE PA, I'll be the first to know.

Ray

Boolit Buddy
    I guess the next thing I'll do is load a dummy round before powder coating just to make sure it chambers. Then I'll try to PC just the bands using the water dip method.

I tried this with HF red and it didn't work, ( the PC settled on the bottom) Smoke's poly may work better. Several methods have been tried, spray only the bands, tape over the nose & s&b, mix with acetone and dip, cover nose and dip in jig coating rig. Someone even coated with adhesive and dipped. Others have used VHT ceramic high temp paint on the nose portion of the cavity. What ever works for you. My solution is a mould that is proper size.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast