Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Colt lightning

Banned

Colt lightning

I was gifted a few medium frame lightning parts today from a friend that knows it is one of my bucket list guns .
    I didn't get much , the reciever , slide frame and a 38-40 / 44-40 bolt .
    It's not much of a start towards a working rifle .

Let's forget that little fact that it's going to be impossible to piece together a rifle for less money then a person can buy a complete working rifle . And instead let's focus on is it possible to find all the parts needed to actualy bring a dead rifle back to life again .

So for those who might know ,.. what are the super hard to find parts that I should start looking for first .

And what are the impossible to find parts that I should plan on having to make myself .

And lastly , are any of the parts from modern reproductions going to be interchangeable , or close enough to be able to re-work into useable parts for an original lightning.

I don't live in a fantasy land , I know a person can find a shoot able rifle in 32-20 for $1500-$2000 if they keep their eyes open and have the cash to spend when you find it .
    I also know 44-40 rifles seem to bring quite a bit more then that .
    I'm not all that concerned about having a few bucks more invested in it then it's worth . It won't be something I'd ever sell for it to be an issue . Plus it's easier to swallow the expense over a year or two while looking for parts .

It's a temptation that is hard to resist , it's a rifle that I've always wanted And short of winning the lottery it's also something that isn't in my price range to buy .

Boolit Master

Might be able to use the Uberti parts, http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...ghtning2+Rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Large or small action. It will make a difference in some parts.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    I think there were at least three action sizes. rimfire, 32-20 etc and 50-95.

I’m afraid that you’ve got a real challenge there. I seriously doubt that modern parts will work and unless you stumble up on a blown up or stripped donor rifle to use I don’t know. But on a positive note, I’d always wanted a 1st series Colt Match Target Woodsman but I just couldn’t justify the cost. But I lucked up and found a stripped rcvr and slide a guy had picked up in an estate sale. I already had a nice MT bbl and small parts from other Woodsmans so I built my own. Turned out nice. So I guess you might find a donor if you hunt long enough. I had a Colt .22 lightning and a .45 Rossi that I was disappointed in so I sold them both. Good luck.

Banned
    It's a medium frame rifle... the usaf rifles are supposed to be direct copies from what I've been able to find out .
    But considering they only made 400 or so rifles I doubt there's gonna be much help there

I had a 38/40 a few years ago and it was missing several parts. I gave up on it and sold it. I took it to a show and sold it in first hour. I think I sold it to cheap fast as it went. Same guy also bought a Colt SxS wire twist that
    was missing parts. I forget the guy's name but he lives around Bluefield WVa and specializes in Colt long guns, repair & parts.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Might be able to use the Uberti parts, http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...ghtning2+Rifle
    Even original Colt parts need fitting, But yes, the Uberti parts for the most part are direct copies. Do note, one big difference, they used metric threads. Found that out the hard way, anyone need a complete screw set for an Italian SAA?
    If you want the repro parts to match the worn/aged finish on your vintage parts, drop them in a glass of Pepsi or Coke. Wait about 4hrs, rinse, dry, compare, and repeat as needed.
    If anyone has a Small Frame .22 they need to take apart, I've done a pictorial "how to" I can post. They look the same as the Medium and Large frame, but are a whole different animal inside, and a PITA to work on!

Banner Sponsor

I resurected a 1906 Win a few years ago and found most of the small parts on Ebay. The stock came from Boyds.