Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: .357 and gas checks

Boolit Bub

.357 and gas checks

Share with me your thoughts on the NEED for gaschecks on .357 mag bullets. I'm thinking here about full or near full power loads. I've used my 358429 bullets pretty successfully (very decent accuracy, minimal leading) with 85-90% power loads. I have an RCBS 158 gr plain base swc mold that I haven't used much yet. Skeeter always wrote that he felt gaschecks were more needed on .357 bullets than on .44 or .45 caliber bullets. I've thought about getting a Thompson design mold for a GC-SWC .357 bullet but would like your thoughts and experiences on this. I have the Thompson design mold by Lyman in .44 in both solid and hollow-point form. I use the HP version for my hunting loads, my idea being I could cast a little softer to promote expansion but the gas check would still minimize leading? Sound theory or not? Thought about a 358156 in both solid and hp form on the same principle. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience. I've been casting for years but still consider myself a novice.
    Ken

Boolit Master

I have the ability to make checks and have some molds that use them but I much prefer to just powder coat and have not had any leading problems with close to full loads.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I always run with the rule of thumb, 1,200 FPS and up gets gascheck. Hasn't failed me yet. However, I fully agree with Rancher. Powder coat is the way to go, then you don't even have to mess with it.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I've never had a need for gas checks in 357 or 44, even with hot loads. My 20" Rossi 92s get more use now than my pistols. I'm using BLL now, but had good results with 45-45-10 and LLA, too. The only you will find out if you can accomplish what you want with plain base is to try it. But, if you want to use checks, go for it. There is probably more than one way to get the the results you want.