MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 416 Ruger Help Powder and Boolits

Boolit Grand Master

416 Ruger Help Powder and Boolits

First the boolits. A good member on here sent me several varieties of boolits and the problem is the data. There just isn't much out there outside of the standard 350gr and 400gr. I did run across some loads for Hawk bullets. Hawk anneals the bullets to make the copper jacket much softer and it's supposed to be about 25BHN instead of the normal copper. Would it be ok to substitute the cast boolits for the Hawk using that data starting min -10%? From the reports I've read online, the Hawk caused quite a stir for some time as the pressures were much higher than expected for a jacketed bullet which leads me to believe they act like a cast.

Powder. The reduced loads call for 5744. I don't have any and it's kinda pricey anyways. Shooters World Buffalo Rifle says it's a direct replacement for AA5744. Sound Right? Any other's that would react similar to 5744 in the large .416 case? Maybe 4198 or 4227? This is a large case and using 50grs at a time could get kinda expensive with 5744.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

You are right, jonp, $40 per lb is a bit stout for powder. I sure miss IMR 4759.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!