Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 30-30 Contender pistol loads

Boolit Man

30-30 Contender pistol loads

I am finally getting around to working with a factory 14" Contender pistol barrel. I am wondering what load tendencies you guys have found successful. Today I loaded some 120 and 155 grain boolits over 9.6 g of Unique. Just getting my feet wet with this one. I seated to jam .020 because of the lack of throat in the SAMMI 30-30 which this one has per cerro cast.
    The boolets are Accurate Molds 31-120EG and 31-150S.
    Do you guys jam cast in the 30-30? As I move into a denser powder, where would you start with Varget and lighter-ish boolits?
    I realize most fellas haven't shot these exact same boolits. They were designed for my 30 Alaskan.
    Thanks,
    Couper

Moderator Emeritus

I find success in the 14" contender with the same loads as my carbine. I tend to seat just off the lands rather than jammed. I have also had a ton of fun with 3118 and 32 cal wadcutter 93 grains and 2.5 gr bullseye. You can almost watch them hit the 25 yard target.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    http://http://www.adi-powders.com.au/pistol/30-30-winchester/

Varget is 2208
    I pp 150-180gns and they bark out of a 20"barrell.

Boolit Master

My 14" Contender barrel in 30-30 loves the 311291 boolit.
    I cast it from 50/50 WW/Lino.
    Sized .309.
    50/50 lube.
    10gr Unique no filler.
    Velocity is around 1500 FPS.
    I have shot heavier loads with slower powders around 1900FPS.
    I don`t seem to enjoy the recoil of the heavier loads.
    Both are very accurate BTW.
    My barrel sports a 4X long eye relief Leupold scope.

Super Moderator

I also use the same boolits as my M94 Carbine. I use the Lyman 311041, Lee C309-150FP as well as the 170 version. The Lee TL314-90 SWC is hard to beat for plinking and small game, super accurate too. I don't jam into the lands either. I use all manner of powders ranging from Bullseye to IMR4064. My barrel is not the least bit picky, and most of the loads I have tried were keepers.

Boolit Master
    Try lyman 311008 118gr fp and or lyman 311359 115gr sp with 7.5 grs of unique and no filler is needed Most .30-30's iv'e tried them in will put them in about the same hole at 25 yds till your bored of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Man
    Looks good Ben-

Went to the range yesterday dispite the high winds. I got 50 down the tube before it got wet out. I had the 100 yard all to myself. After a little seasoning of the barrel it settled down. I was shooting both boolet designs iron sights off a bag. Load was the same for both weights. 9.6 grains Unique jamming. 020 into the lands.
    I would like to send it off and get a picatinny rail installed and maybe a little throat cut into her.
    You might find it interesting. I loaded with new Hornady "Custom" dies first. The case body measures .011 under chamber spec. I called them and the young man said the narrow body spec is called out at .390. Mine is sizing to .388. "Send them in with your brass and we will look at them." Was his response. No call tag in the email. I was pissed. Called RCBS tech, explaining the issue I had with Hornady s choice of spec. The awesome fella looked up their spec... .002 under chamber. Bought some. I now size at .002 at the sholder body junction and .0015 under chamber .250 up from the rim. Hornady spec is full of **** to begin with and their execution is even worse. I have a mind to send them in and stick them. Rant off.
    Very happy with RCBS.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-10 11.45.28.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	237688