RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk reamers, again

Boolit Master
    Good grief. Did you for get that shotgun chambers are stepped down at the forcing cone?
    A close fitted insert barrel will not blow through even if a slip fit with no glue.
    EDG

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    The cartridge case seals the chamber, so there is no gas behind the end of the barrel to push it out of the shotgun barrel. Slip in adapters work quite well with just a couple of o-rings to keep them in place, epoxy will hold them much better.
    If the sleeve or new barrel becomes part of the assembly and is as strong as it needs to be all is good.

This type of a setup here with no threading and no shoulder on the new barrel, if it relied ONLY on glue in shear was what I pictured when I read what the OP posted.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

I found the old pic of the insert barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Worst case if we only fired SAAMI ctg is an oiled case/chamber...and the end result is the numbers I worked, up the action is the only thing holding the case in the chamber....with an oiled case/chamber no doubt the glued in barrel stubs will fail and the barrel will go downrange.
    Bill,

It is not just "a simple pressure vessel" It is a pressure vessel with an open end momentarily plugged with a bullet. Once the gun is fired the pressure pushes the gun backward and the bullet forward. For the barrel to move forward you need to replace the bullet with a welded plug.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I found the old pic of the insert barrel.

I really stirred the pot this time! Thanks TbG, that pic is almost the spitting image of how I turned the blank down except I left the blank pretty rough figuring that would give the epoxy a better grip. The "stub" is actually pretty long, it's out in the garage now so I can't say for sure but IIRC it's about 10-12" long! I cut it so it just extends past the fore stock. I turned it so it was a snug fit (dry)and had to tap it in place with a plastic mallet, once I applied the epoxy it was a very tight fit and I resorted to pounding it in with a 3lb hammer and a brass drift! Next time I'll put in a relief hole or groove for the excess epoxy.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I'll practice with mine today. Spring Turkey season starts soon. The next stub I do will feature grooves for epoxy run as well. We want pics.

Boolit Master
    Strength of epoxy bond........a guy once brought around a boat coupling flange on a propshaft...........It was long.ish coupling without keyway or setscrew..........he said it was retained only with either loctite or epoxy,and had been working OK for years.The shaft was monel,by the way,which is why he wanted it back..........I stuck it on my 100ton press ,and expected it to pop out with a couple of pumps.........I ended up with the long handle in the small cylinder ,and lifting my weight off the floor...I had to heat it with the oxy near red hot before it let go.

I used up a couple of rounds offhand to vent and punch buttons at 25 yards. StubsBfun.

Well even though 90% is over my head, I found it interesting.

Boolit Master
    Texas, you did stir the pot. I always enjoy a nice debate of others opinions but I have never had any of my stubs or slide in and glue barrels come loose. However you do have a nice little shooter there. Can you use 44 boolits or do you have the correct molds for the 44-40?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Not me; the first spoon hit the pot around 11 posts in
    I'm using .430's at present but they need a final push to seat in the chamber. The next batch I load will be sized .429". I tried .427" but I felt the accuracy was a bit less than I wanted. It's a Green Mountain barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12