RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk 41magnum

Boolit Bub

Blackhawk 41magnum

Hey guys I just picked up a blackhawk in 41 mag. I dont have anything in this caliber yet. Going to need molds brass dies and such for it. Wondering what has worked best for those that have similar setups. Looking for loads for plinking to hunting. Looks like 210gr is a good range for hunting boolits. Just looking for ideas where to start. If anybody has any related items available im looking for supplies.
    Thanks,
    Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-413-265-WNFP
    This one was just invoiced. Send Miha a PM and get one of the overruns.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

I have several 41 cal molds.
    Lyman, Saeco, NOE, Accurate, Lee, Ranch Dog, and a custom from Arsenal.
    Surprisingly, the Lee 410-195-SWC is one of my favorite, I wish they made it in a 6 gang.
    FYI, the Arsenal custom was an attempt at copying the Lee, with a couple mods.

I am a fan of the Lee FCD collet style, not the carbide.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You might try mp molds the one mentioned earlier seems to be .430 thats a 44 mold not 41. I use the lee 190 swc does a good job for plinking.

410459 is a great bullet if you can find the mold. RCBS still makes their 210 SWC as far as I know. It is excellent, too. Of course, you have to size them right for your revolver, and they work best if not cast too hard.

Boolit Bub
    What's the go to powder for a 41? I have around 15lbs of h110. And a bunch of others. I think I have 8lbs of bullseye, red dot and 700x too. Have misc pounds of others but those I have plenty of.

I have the MP 413640 4 cavity that drops solids @217gr and hps @ 210gr. They shoot very well. I also have a MP 413265 but it throws 270 to 258gr both are gas check moulds. I have a lyman 410459 that drops a plan based 220gr. My BH and Henry likes all three.

This will keep you busy reading.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I like Unique and 2400 powders. They will cover about any power level you need. I have a Marlin Carbine that likes H-110.

With the Blackhawk you can put a whole lot of lead forward of the case mouth and keep that case space for 296 or H110. Or a tad slower. Purely awesome.

Lyman's old wadcutter is a splatter boolit. Even in a percussion revolver it's a splatter boolit.
    Lee's 195 SWC is good.
    Lyman's #410610... there's some good ones and there's some bad ones.
    NEI had a good SWC GC that I'm lucky to have obtained. Also a light weight round nose.
    The old Lee heavies (both SWC and the RN) are both good if pushed hard.

But that's all what I experienced and your revolver will no doubt have different tastes.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 03-03-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Boolit Master

RCBS SWC mold that drops a 210 gr boolit sized to .411 with 7.2 gr of Unique under it works for me
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have 5 different .41 molds in RN, SWC and WC designs weighing from 195 to 220 grains. The pattern I most commonly reach for is the Lee 41-195-SWC. For casual enjoyment it always gets the job done. The Lee advantage is that they are affordable and light weight to use but as others have said are available only in the 2X blocks. You can opt later for a heavier SWC for hunting

Boolit Buddy
    l picked up a Ruger SBH Hunter in 41magnum back in 0ct.. My first Ruger purchase in 40+ years.. lt likes most anything l feed it.. Being an almost 100% S&W shooter l simply shoot/shot same loads in the Ruger... l have not noticed any great difference in throat or bore diameter between the two. Smith uses five groove rifling. Ruger has 6 grooves... As for specific boolits- l found a Lyman 410459 on flebay. l already had a Saeco WFN 220 gr mold and a RCBS 210... l prefer medium powders like Unique and 231.. For magnum loads l recently ''discovered'' IMR4227 in Lymans #50 manual...

The 41 Magnum cartridge seem to compliment BOTH guns quite well.. l know its possible to HOT load a Ruger more. A practice l simply have NO lnterest... BAMBAM is for HOT loads-My 10 1/2''PC barreled S&W 460Magnum!!

Boolit Grand Master

Reloading for the model 58 41 magnum in my avatar since 1975. Best boolits to date :

1.) NOE 413-215-WC-PB-BL3 . my favorite , a 215 gr. full wadcutter , accuracy sleeper , makes bug hole groups @ 800 to 900 fps. My standard plinking , target and tin can load is 7.5 grains Unique.

2.) NOE 412-224-SWC-PB-AS3 . Next favorite , 224 gr. classic SWC design for heavier hunting loads .

3.) Lee 41-195-SWC . This is my newest , trying it with some Bullseye and Red Dot for some lighter loads....jury is still out on this one. But it shows some "economical load" promise.

To realize the 41 magnums full potential you have to cast and reload for it . Lyman has discontinued all 41 cal. moulds.... so get what you can when you find them. The NOE moulds are sweet . the #1.) mould is a recreation of a long discontinued Lyman mould....I don't think anyone else makes it and it's a accurate design .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Great cartridge revolver combination. Lot's of good moulds and powders that work well. I've been "with" 41s, both Rugers and S&Ws, since the mid '70s and find it easy to load for. I too favored the Lee 195 gr SWC but let myself get talked out of it when I traded of a M58....... The last 25 years I've had a Ruger Bisley with 7 1/2" barrel as my primary "hunting" revolver. I have 4 moulds [RCBS 41-210-SWC, Lyman 410610 convert to FB, Lee's TL41-175-SWC and the TL 41-210-SWC] but mostly just use 2 of them anymore; The RCBS for magnum level load using 2400 and H110 and the Lee TL 41-210-SWC loaded mostly over 7.5 gr Unique for a mid range velocity of 1150 fps and excellent accuracy.

Attachment 237351
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use 9.0 unique with 200 swc this is a potent load especially in a 23 oz gun. Always liked h110 to just don't have any. It is a lot cleaner than unique.

41 Ruger Blackouts run a little tight in the throats at least mine does. Pin gauges say a tight .410 when I measured them. Know what your looking for when you buy moulds and sizers. One of my 41 moulds drops at .417 and that's a lot of swaging. I think most Ruger revolvers are set up for jacketed bullets from the factory. Doug Guy does a great job of tuning them for cast. Gp 7gr. of TiteGroup under 210gr. bullet is my plinking round.

I inherited a vast amount of jacketed .410 bullets from a late friend so I shot those free bullets with Unique for semi-stout and W296 for stout stout. When I cast for my last one(6.5" Blackhawk) I used the old Lee 220gr and the LeeTL210 and they worked great. All the powders you listed can be used for various .41 loads. It's very easy to get results from.
    I've got to get another one; I've been without for two years now.
    Enablers.

Boolit Bub
    Go to leverguns.com Paco is a fan of the 41 and has a few good articles on it

Boolit Bub
    It's a great gun i have made it my main carry gun for 5 years.

Boolit Master
    M son...43 yrs old-- pointed out how many .41 cal molds I have... he is right-I have been picking them up since the 70,s- I only have 7 or so.. but here are two molds that will do all I could ever hope for… NOE... 260gr solid with a .330 meplat, 252 cup point, 238 hugh HP all are gas checked. three bullets from one set of mold blocks
    MP mold. 230 grain solid with .290 meplat. 213 gr penta-point… 212 cup point... 208gr hp... 198gr hp these are gas checked
    they will shoot ok with out them if I want to not use -- but so far the are better with... that is 7 varied bullets from two sets of mold blocks ...

For plain base --- Lee 240 swc...load this one to 1100 or so=.44 Special. Load to 1350+ and now it is a .44 oh I mean .429))
    Lyman 410459 can work but I have a 4 cav Saeco 230K...One can of course make their own mold from Mountain Mold.. no group needed-255 LWNGC brass 2 cav-nothing against them for my MP mold was a group buy
    Powder... 800x is great up 230 or so grains. Herco is very good and of course Unique Hs6, and then H110, W296, and Imr/ H4227
    lots of choices-- have fun
    Last edited by GLynn41; 03-05-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: clarty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast