RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can one be faithful without quoting scripture?

Can one be faithful without quoting scripture?

Background: I grew up Catholic. Went to mass every Sunday, every appropriate day of obligation. Alter boy. Catholic grammar and high schools. Active in the church community through early adulthood. Baprisd my children. Sent them to Catholic grammar and high schools. All the while “ knowing” this was the right path to take.(there’s another topic to be discussed...)

At some point, my common sense started to take over my thoughts. Are those who followed all these “rules” more loved by God than those who aren’t? Those not attending church every Sunday certainly weren’t suffering. Quite frankly, some of the most difficult , unreasonable people i’ve ever dealt with were those in positions of authority in the Catholic hierarchy...supposedly the “more faithful” ones.

Yet I digress. Common sense: Can one not be faithful, spiritual without adhering to some religious institution’s rules of worship? Does God really require us to kneel before him and demonstrate our submission to his will? Are we required to “ feed an ego” in order to be considered for salvation?

I’ve done my share of kneeling and praying. There is no doubt in my mind that there is Higher Power. You don’t have to sit in a church, or be able to quote the Bible to do this. I don’t think God cares if I eat meat on Fridays during Lent. I don’t th8nk i’m ****ed to hell if I don’t go to confession, or receive the Last Rights before I die.

I try to bea truly good person. I don’t intentionally hurt anyone. I sacrifice, silently, for the benefit of others. I raised my children to be responsible, respectful, giving people. I am always willing to extend a hand to those who truly need it, without enabling. ... and I spend my quiet moments of meditation considering the good, and not so good things i’ve done, or intend to do...all the while not being within the walls or rules of any particular religious institution. Never once referring to Genesis, Revelations, or anything in between.

My point is that you don’t need to be able to recite bible passages, or rely on, or hide behind, those strings of words to know how to be a good, spiritual person. Like Spike Lee says( political views aside), “ DO THE RIGHT THING”. You don’t need ancient text to tell you what he right thing is. Just use your God given common sense!

Thanks for reading it. I hope for a friendly, mutually respectful conversation. Let’s do this without stating “ the Bible says”, or “ in the book of Matthew...”. Let’s just speak from our own personal hearts and minds. Is this possible?

God knows what's in your heart. Doesn't matter if you're on the pew or on the pond. Be happy and love on. Jesus loves you. Have a great Sunday!

USMC 77, USRA 79

It’s is such a parallel to what “Jewish” folks became so ingrained in... ceremony, tradition, things centered around man, things that folks perceived God wanted, that many missed the Messiah altogether. Then the Messiah comes on the scene, and adds one simple commandment.. John 13:34-35 NKJV
    [34] A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. [35] By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Live by this... then do this...
    Mark 16:15-16 NKJV
    [15] And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. [16] He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

There are many ways to do the above. Support somebody that does do the above if you don’t. You already believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and his sacrifice for our sin, not all gifts are the same, use your gift to further the kingdom of God. Know that if you believe, your salvation is secure, period. Your salvation is a gift, and not according to what you do. Just love the Lord, Love each other, spread the kingdom of God in what ways that you can with commitment, and most of all, love. Don’t worry or fret about the rest. Have peace, not apathy, do what you can and do your reasonable sacrifice. Give love, honor and life all in their season. God’s laws and such, right and wrong, are written on your heart.

Peace,
    Marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 03-03-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I agree with you, 468, and have a wonderful day today!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

God gave us 10 laws to live by. Jesus gave us two commandments to follow.
    Religions force its followers to jump through all kinds of hoops to get to Heaven.
    You need to be baptized a certain way.
    You need to be dress a certain way.
    You need hair on your face
    You need to pray a certain way.
    You need to have a certain Bible.
    You can't drive certain types of vehicles.
    On and on and on...
    I go to a non denominational church that does not put requirements or restrictions on what is necessary to get to Heaven.
    I am saved by grace and not works or religious hoop jumping.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I apologize for going back to the word... I couldn’t help myself...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Yes .

Boolit Buddy
    Good post describing where you are at spiritually.
    Like you I was raised Catholic, Catholic school, altar boy etc., etc.
    I have grown to realize that organized religion, going to church on Sundays, Holy Days of Obligation, etc. were not for me.
    Too much disrespectful chatter in church before the service, then the fashion show of some of the people there, and other things, was too distracting for me.

I would say that I have a fulfilling relationship with God without the need for group gatherings.
    That is not to say I have rejected the 10 commandments or ignore Jesus' teachings. Far from it.

Some here will probably state that it is required, from a biblical stance, that we should all be gathering on the Sabbath, Sunday, or whenever.
    Hopefully those that reply here will honor your request by not speaking chapter and verse to make their personal view point.

I do not believe God is going to give any special treatment to those who do not eat meat on Friday or any of the other things you mentioned.
    I see it as an individual thing and what is in your heart (Love) is what matters to Him.

I think you only need to be familiar enough to recognize the ** that is touted as Biblical.

Banned
    God said show your faith by your works, not your words.

Boolit Master
    I very much agree with what you saying to a point. You don't have to quote scripture go to church confess your sins (to man) to have a relationship with God. You do have to be washed in the blood of Jesus only threw him can you have salvation

The parts where we differ is being good, doing good,living right this is not how we are saved ether. It's by our faith we are saved. If you are trusting in him,leaning on him,following the deriction he is giving you only, then are you be saved.

There are many scriptures that back this up.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    Today as I was reading and a short message was layed on my heart so I jotted it down I think it fits here Sorry about the scripture I wrote it how I received it and I wasent pulling it to spare fillings

If you want to understand christ you have resources avalible to you.... use them ...pray..... read.....listen to people who teach his word......

Now you need to be careful with the people you are listening to.... you need to be sure they are teaching gods word and not their understanding..... how can you tell the difference. ......get down on your knees and stick your nose in his book.....a wolf is easy to spot if you are seeking the truth.....

your relationship with God is your responsibility you and you alone will answer for your deeds

Luke 11:9 says
    “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Seek Christ you have the tools use them
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Thanks for the above replies. I find a few of them very relatable. ... and all enlightening.

Is it possible to continue:
    A) without quoting or siting scriptural passages( use your own original thoughts)?
    B) without preaching ?

Let’s relate to each otherwise if we’re old friends, hanging out in my my garage trying to figure our how to cast clean boolits out of my new Lee mold. Not standing in a pulpit trying to save the wicked. Just for this thread. I promise I will respectfully abide by your wishes should you start a thread with stipulations.

Boolit Master
    I apologize if I came across preachy. It is more my piss pore communication skills then my intention.I'm not sure how you talk about Christianity without using gods word? knowing scripture dosen't make you more holly. But how can we know God without knowing his word.

<(*)(()><

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    I'm not sure how you talk about Christianity without using gods word? knowing scripture dosen't make you more holly.
    This^

Anyone who makes a biblical claim without referencing scripture, preferably from multiple books, is just touting personal theology.

My personal opinion is people suck at “love god, love people”, so I honestly couldn’t care less what else folks claim are of importance. Demonstrate proficiency in the top two commandments and I might stop and here out your other claims.

Boolit Master
    If it doesn't line up with God's Word then it shouldn't be taught as doctrine.
    The scripture says "forsake not the assembly". There is unity in fellowship.
    There are too many out there today who are teaching false doctrine.
    If the teaching detracts from the deity of Christ, then it is FALSE doctrine.
    It is not what "we" think, but what God's Word says.
    Christ died for our sins. We can not work for it (salvation) nor can we earn it in ANY way. It is a gift of God.
    He said "if you love me, keep my commandments". We don't keep the commandments because of law, but keep them because we love God.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post

He said "if you love me, keep my commandments". We don't keep the commandments because of law, but keep them because we love God.
    To me this is where churches run off the rails,this is where people get hurt,where people become righteous what are his commandments? They are summed up in scripture as love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as you love yourself.if we all could strive to do this how much better would this world be.

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Can one be faithful without quoting scriptures?
    I guess the twist to this is Can one who quotes scriptures be unfaithful? ABSOLUTELY!
    People of faith have been around long before the New Testament (can't say OT since Genesis started everything), so...
    On practical side of things, church traditions have evolved from men's wisdom, so take it with a grain of salt...

Boolit Mold
    I too was raised Catholic, even attended parochial school. To this day I can't stand to see a nun and that was close to 60 years ago. Needless to say I no longer belong to the Catholic church. I agree with many of the previous posts that it is what is in your heart. One of the many things that separates the catholic church from the reformers is the phrase, "by faith alone". Church is man made and each denomination puts their own spin on things, the bible is the way. With all that said, I think that church service is a good thing and my wife and I attend regularly, but I view church as more of a social network, not my path to heaven. An earlier post made it very clear, 10 laws and 2 commandants. Believe in your faith and be true to your commitment to Jesus Christ, the rest of live takes care of itself. As I said, by faith alone.
    Christian, Father, Husband

Boolit Master
    I'm in Tennessee. Say I want to drive to Kansas City, but have never been there. I use to would have gotten a paper road map and picked out a route to guide me there. Now days I plug it into a GPS, smart phone or similar device and let it pick my route (some times this is a gamble as well)! The only other option I have after this is to ask others along the way for direction as I travel and adjust my route at their whim, in the hope that THEY actually know what their talking about, all the while hoping I arrive.

Now how would this relate to scripture? Do I follow a map, or trust in other men's direction? How will I follow a map of I don't have one, or consult the one I do have? Perhaps the map is confusing, but it comes in handy for comparing others directions against.

I had an Uncle who delighted in giving convoluted and backward directions to anyone who was unfortunate enough to ask, he got a kick from seeing people lost! We have any adversary who does the same thing. He spreads confusion, doubt, and misdirection, because he delights in seeing us lost! He don't want any of us to travel the road to our destination, lest we find the reward at the end of our journey!

I am the driver! I am responsible for getting there! I am going to use every means to see my destination! Be wise friends and brothers!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast