Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I scored a M27-2

Boolit Master

I scored a M27-2

I acquired one of my bucket guns today, a S&W Model 27-2. I've been looking for one for about 2 years now. They're pretty scarce in my area. Here are a few quick pics.

I'm guessing mid/late 70s production?

You can see a few honest scratches, a faint turn line, and some muzzle blue wear, but I think this is a good "shooter" grade.

$795.00 was the price. How did I do?

Boolit Master
    Nice, I'd have grabbed it for that price. Nice guns, I've had a few of them over the years. Only have a 5" and 3 1/2" pre 27 currently. The 27s are just such nice revolvers. Seems like a decent price to me.

Moderator Emeritus

I love the stippling on top of the frame.
    Pinned barrel I see, I assume the cylinder is recessed?
    8 Bills is a real good price today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    the Smith N frames are my all time favorite revolvers. Nice snag on that one.. I have it's slightly uglier cousin of around the same time frame, a 28-2. Beautiful shooters they are.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Master

Windwalker those 28s are every bit the gun the 27 is, just not as flashy. I had two back in the day, I wish I never let them go. It's just that at my age I want the glitz!!

Arlon I'm jealous. I do have both a pre 29 and a pre 25-2 .45 ACP, and I would have loved to find an old 4 or 5 screw pre 27. But as they say, this will do.

Yes JonB, it's recessed too!

Boolit Master
    Very nice...looks like 1975/6 vintage...

I have a Pre-27 6" like yours...mine lettered to shipping on the day I was born...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Windwalker those 28s are every bit the gun the 27 is, just not as flashy. I had two back in the day, I wish I never let them go. It's just that at my age I want the glitz!!

Arlon I'm jealous. I do have both a pre 29 and a pre 25-2 .45 ACP, and I would have loved to find an old 4 or 5 screw pre 27. But as they say, this will do.

Yes JonB, it's recessed too!
    I have a 45 Model 1955 Target (shipped in 1955), nice revolver too. Also have a clunky old prewar 357 Registered Magnum.

Banned
    Those big framed .357's are nice guns.

Boolit Master
    what is the model 27, 28, and 29?
    29 is 44mag, correct? what is the 27 an 28?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    what is the model 27, 28, and 29?
    29 is 44mag, correct? what is the 27 an 28?
    They are all N-frames

The 29 is chambered in 44 mag

The 27 & 28 are both chambered in 357 magnum but the model 28 was the less expensive version of the model 27

The model 28 wasn't as finely finished and had some same changes to make it less costly to produce. It was marketed toward law enforcement officers that wanted a 357 magnum but either couldn't afford a model 27 OR didn't want all of that refinement for a duty gun.

For all practical purposes, the models 27 & 28 are the same gun but the model 28 was the less expensive version.

Boolit Master
    Very nice revolver,good buy on your part.About 2 years ago or so I was gifted a new in the box 28-2 4 inch barrel revolver with the original sales receipt from July 1964, That gun sold new for 79.00 dollars. It is a great shooter.

Banned
    And while we're at it:

The stainless steel versions of the N-frames are denoted by the numeral "6" in the first position of the model number. S&W uses the number six to denote stainless steel in most of their model numbers.

A 629 is s stainless steel model 29 (44 magnum, stainless steel)
    A 624 is a stainless steel model 24 (44 Special stainless steel)
    A 625 is a stainless steel model 25 (45 ACP stainless steel)
    A 627 is an eight round model 27 in stainless steel

And by the way, the model 28 was named the Highway Patrolman.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 28 that was a CHP (California Highway Patrol) gun. And a 27 - it has target sights, a target trigger, much nicer finish and blueing. Both cylinders will accept a .328" boolit but a .329" boolit requires a hard shove. I size mine to .328.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    I think you have a typo there Wayne

328? Do you mean 358?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    With all things being equal, what percentage price difference would there be between a 27, 28 and 28-2?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    With all things being equal, what percentage price difference would there be between a 27, 28 and 28-2?
    Several hundred dollars.

Boolit Master
    The N prefix started in 1969, hard to know exactly when yours was made unless you try the S&W forum. Had a S frame M27-2 in 5" for over 45 years and shot it a lot, so much in fact it had been back to S&SW twice for rebuild. Also had a 6" abut identical to yours for a few years which I didn't shoot much so let a buddy talk me out of it. Both were accurate and a joy to shoot but sadly are gone now due to problems with my wrists and hands and I miss the 5" a lot.

Boolit Master

Last year, coming out of the big Wannenmacher show in Tulsa, a guy was walking in with a very, very nice 27-2. I spoke with him, and handled the revolver.

We talked price, he was firm at $575.

I was $25 short.

Sigh.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Last year, coming out of the big Wannenmacher show in Tulsa, a guy was walking in with a very, very nice 27-2. I spoke with him, and handled the revolver.

We talked price, he was firm at $575.

I was $25 short.

Sigh.....
    Wow!!

The m28s have been coming up quick in last two years. I think the only thing holding them back is m27 prices.
    The $600 are hard to find now and a nice m27 is in $1K range in my area. In fact all Ns except m28 are in that range. I'm talking blued guns. Some of the late Stainless models can be had for less. For some reason the 4" and shorter Ns bring more. I do think there is a stall or bubble in S&W market right now. There is no shortage of
    them if you are willing to pay the price. I think for now the ceiling on price has been reached but I don't see the
    prices falling anytime soon. If anything they will take off again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast