Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Soule Sight

Soule Sight

Question for those with knowledge on the subject. Thinking of getting a Sharps in 45-70. Don’t need advice on C Sharps, Shiloh, Pedersoli or any other make, brand, type or model regarding what to buy. Question deals with which sights. My longest shooting may touch 600 yards. I’m thinking a mid-range vernier, as opposed to a long range sight would work if using black and a 500 grain bullet. Any experience out there to advise otherwise?

Boolit Grand Master

Sights are a combination of front and rear working together. A mid range Soule may get you to around 800yds depending on the height of the front sight used. ANother that will have some effect is barrel length / sight radius, the longer the sight radius the less impact moves with each graduation lowering range able to be reached.
    One way to go ( you didn't mention the sight maker your using is to contact them and ask for recommendations for your application. MVA, Lee Shaver, Baldwin, and some other all make very good sights and are very knowledgeable in what they can do.
    A taller front sight raises the rears setting to zero and is higher overall.
    With the quality sight set I also recommend a Hadley eye cup and fill set of apertures for the front. A spirit level in the front is good and helps keep the rifle level. If Shooting where there's heavy wind a wind gage front sight may be useful. I allows for more windage than just the Soule has. It also allows for 1/2 wind on front and 1/2 on rear keeping sights closer to center. Or keeping rear centered and rough estimation on front and fine tune rear. The wind gage front offers more options in winds.
    My 38-55 highwall gets to 500 yds with the mid range sight and 30" barrel with room to spare.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the rear sights can "travel", a lot have 1 or 2 good sights and bases on all their rifles the sights go from rifle to rifle as needed and the rifles zero set on the Vernier scale. SO if your planning on additions later one good sight may get a lot more use.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you're shooting in competition, I'd shop your Soule sight based on price between the various makers. I agree with the previous post that a mid range should easily reach out to your suspected maximum range of 600 yards. Kelley is another excellent manufacturer. I believe Buffalo Arms carries Soule's by most of the makers mentioned. Used ones pop up from time to time on the ASSRA forum's "for sale" page as well as ebay. Mind hole spacing on the sight base as the guns can vary between brands.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Banned

lee shaver super grade soule w/hadley cup and a 17A spirit globe front.

as to the size, if yer absolutely sure about midrange targets only, then get the mid and not the long.

Boolit Master
    For the money, the Lee Shaver sight(s) would be very hard to beat.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    MVA, Baldwin or Hoke on the rear, Baldwin on the front. A midrange sight with a low front like the Baldwin might just give you enough to reach 1000 yards, but you won't have much to spare if you get into a headwind situation. But if you think there's any possibility of going to 1000 go with the long range and never look back.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer the MVA over the Shaver. I also like the Hadley eye cups.

I have an MVA midrange on a Shiloh in .45-70 with a 34" barrel and a small diameter Lee Shaver front sight. It's good for around 900 yards, although I shoot a reasonably snappy load for a .45-70.

Chris.

I have MVA , Red River ( parts unknown ? ) I got it used . Kelley and Pedersoli , I only have one of each so cant say too much but I would rate them in the same order I listed them for precision, lack of play etc.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!