RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Impressed by durability of PC

Boolit Master

Impressed by durability of PC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0031.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	237119 This picture is not a clear as I would like, but it shows a 180 grain plain based bullet using 10:1 alloy (~11 BHN). The one on the right is as-coated, sized 0.309. It has one coat of clear PC. The one on the left is the same alloy, one coat of clear PC, which I recovered after shooting it in my M1. The bullet, at 2000 fps, passed through the target and a backboard made of a plastic shipping pallet, then skipped along the ground for about 100 yards before stopping. Even the grooves still have a little PC in them. The nose of the fired bullet is completely unblemished-- even the PC is not scratched. Also interesting (to me, at least) is that the sprue marks on the base of the fired bullet look exactly like the sprue marks of the unfired bullet. The base of the fired bullet is very slightly enlarged (0.310) from the original sizing of 0.309. If you are wondering how I happened to recover the bullet-- it had rained the day before and the dirt bhind the target stand happened to be damp and smooth-- and I just happened to notice some odd "skip" marks in the dirt-- I followed the line of marks and found the bullet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I always try to recover my bullets from the berms. It is true that the pc coated bullets look pretty good on recovery!
    Unless they encounter a rock or another bullet the stay pretty true
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I have an old post of pc bullets shot at steel plates. It sticks amazingly well!

Boolit Master
    My results are about the same. I have run them in my ruger 77/357 at full power with h110 and the powdercoating has stayed on.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear this fits with others' experience. My son just got me started on PC-- these results are getting me sold.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Hick to sell you further; The polymer, if properly cured, is as hard as copper plating and has a much better bond. If the polymer thickness is sufficient approximately .003" it will resist the torque of spinup at chamber pressures up to 50K. PC is adding new life to the dying art of bullet casting because we are making our own jacked bullets that do not lead or copper foul a barrel. PC sold me back in 2012 and brought me back into casting. I haven't bought a bullet since. Listen to your boy, he is right.

Recovered from wet/dry paper, ice, snow, HBWC from wood...

I’ve had similar results - Bullets were pulled from wood, and even SC red clay. It really is amazing stuff.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Are we to believe that PC will assist recovery of fired boolets by increasing visibility, a previously unstated advantage?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Are we to believe that PC will assist recovery of fired boolets by increasing visibility, a previously unstated advantage?
    Most definately, especially the bright colors, however those Camo colored bullets are lost and never seen again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    Amazing results, both PC adherence & mushroom effect...