Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: My Krag Sporter

Thanks to a member here for the cure of the feeding problem! I shot some rocks and driftwood today with the 170 Lee fp at 175grs/.309"/PC loaded with old 4350. The sandstone rocks exploded when hit most cooly.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Any of 'em good to eat?
    Cognitive Dissident

A bit of roughage,for sure.
    Now you have me thinking of Kragging some bullfrogs. If it will feed round ball loads, I'll be plum giddy.

93 degrees and strong gusts of South wind, and two 3 shot 1" groups at 40 yards fired from the bench, barefoot with a cut trigger finger notwithstanding. It's a good load and a good rifle. It feeds "Krag smooth"- I had to check a couple of times and yes, the round had chambered! I opened the peep aperture a bit with a drill and it helps the sight picture for me a lot.

The cut finger probably made you squeeze the trigger carefully and not jerk it, but being barefoot....I'd have been worried about things nibbling my toes. Centipedes, scorpions, tarantulas, and things that slither.

DG

One of the last living commercial buffalo hunters, Col Frank Mayer, wrote in the '30s that the buffalo shooters would sandpaper their trigger fingers to increase sensitivity.

Old Frank was an incredible guy. His Wiki entry doesn't begin to do him justice.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Has anyone done any trigger work on their Krags? I have two Krags, and all I have done so far is replace the return springs. An improvement, but still too heavy. I do see that Huber advertises a trigger, but have not heard any reviews on them. Are all of you just using the as issued trigger setup?

Poster gnoaah has a Krag with a set trigger setup made by Hervey Lovell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lovell Set Trigger.jpg   Lovetl Trigger Set.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I drilled and tapped the sear for a setscrew to lighten the issue trigger. After adjusting, the trigger was not under full spring tension, so had to inlet a light spring with plunger under the trigger guard, to provide light rearward tension on the trigger to keep it from flopping around. This method can lead to a too light and unsafe sear engagement, so after adjusting the trigger, I vigorously apply a rubber hammer to the cocked striker and bolt and thump the butt of the gun on a carpeted floor a few times. Any release of the firing pin gets the trigger adjustment screw backed off a little, and the hammering and thumping repeated, until the adjustment is safe.

Quack 1, we used to do a similar modification to Mauser triggers to bypass the two stage operation of the trigger. We would braze a nut on the trigger for the adjustment screw.

Boolit Master
    That's where I got the idea.
    Since the Krag action is case hardened, I expected the sear to be hardened and difficult to drill and tap. Surprisingly, it wasn't and drilled easily.

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread and rifle! Somehow I missed this when in progress. I have an 1898 Krag Sporter with a new Criterion barrel and kept the original stock but thinned out the grip somewhat and added a few coats of thinned TruOil over the original linseed. Cut the barrel to 20" and had a ramp attached up front for a Marbles bead. On the rear I went with a simple bolt mounted Rice sight to replace the Williams 5D I had JB Welded in place pre-Criterion. Worked up a quick hunting load last year with the Lee 200gr RN at about 2100 fps but haven't done any load refining since. Have yet to try the 311284 in the Criterion.

What did you do to get the 170gr FN to feed?

I removed the magazine cutoff early on to fit the Redfield sight. It fed nothing reliably except pencil sharp bullets like the Hornady A-max. I contemplated the situation,, couldn't figure it out,and tried polishing the feed ramp. I lost an online auction for all the magazine bits, grasping at a cure.
    Out of nowhere a member here posted on another Krag related thread about how SOME Krags wouldn't feed correctly if the magazine cutoff was removed for the Redfield sight....So I removed the sight and reinstalled the cutoff. Voila! SO, I altered the cutoff to coexist with the Redfield by leaving the shaft in the reciever with a groove on the rear surface to engage the sight mounting flange.
    I'm a big fan of the knowledge base on Castboolits.

After checking it today, I will carry it to the blind for opening day of deer season. I’m going to use the Lee 170 gr flatnose sized .309” and PC’d over IMR 4350 going circa 1900 FPS. 125 yards is the longest shot from the blind so the irons will work.

Boolit Master

I just love to see these old milsurps put to good use, especially when used to harvest game. Please be sure to give a follow up harvest report.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Hopefully the next pic of it is with a deer.....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789