Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Mauser Double set trigger

Boolit Buddy

Mauser Double set trigger

I bought the Danzig Mauser with a double set trigger from my other post. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Danzig-Mauser Just using without setting pull is very heavy. Setting the trigger and the pull is extremely light, like an ounce or so. I cleaned it well. The adjustment screw doesn't seem to change anything. Is there a book that gives detailed pictures and instructions for adjustments? I would like to make this work instead of taking the easy way out and buying new. I haven't' dis-assembled the trigger yet and could probably figure it out but a book would be helpful.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Kinda sounds like it's working like it's supposed to.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That's what set triggers are all about.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Heavy unset pull is normal.

See the first paragraph here:

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/INST-108.pdf

I think the intention was to use the trigger in the set position for most shooting, with unset available for emergency or very quick shots.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    You are right, it’s working properly. But just a brush after setting fires it. I would like it to be at least 6 ounces. None of my single sets are close to being this light.

Boolit Buddy
    The DST adjustment screw.....

Unscrew the small adjustment screw until nearly all the way out of the mechanism,,nothing will break or become undone if you take it right out...
    With the adj screw backed out,,now 'set' the rear trigger (pull the rear trigger till it clicks and sets)

Then with out touching the front trigger at all,,,,,start turning that adjustment screw back in.
    It will go in rather easily at first (unless it's very dirty and gummed up inside there).
    As the tip of the screw starts to engage the DST sear engagement of the rear trigger inside the mechanism, the screw will start to be harder to turn,,that is your clue that you are now starting to adjust the 'Set Trigger Pull'.

Still with out touching the front trigger,,,keep slowly turning the adjustment screw in until the DST fires itself.
    ..You do not need to have the bolt striker cocked for this,, when the DSt 'fires', the rear trigger that you originally 'set' to start this process will jump forward by itself.

Now you have to BACK OFF the Adjustment Screw a small amt to allow the mechanism sear to hold a set instead of firing it.

I usually back the adj screw off one full turn to be safe.
    That will allow the internal sear points of the two triggers to engage safely but yet allow for a very light trigger pull when set.

If you want to experiment beyond that 1 turn back out you can by simply resetting the trigger and then turning it back IN a small amt less than that 1 turn. Trying to find a sweet spot somewhere in there that gives you the lightest pull when set,,but yet a safe hold on Set.

You don't want the triggers to be able to be fired by simply bumping the stock or the old 'breathing on them' routine. Simply unsafe and dangerous.

Using the Front trigger to fire the rifle in the UNSET mode is usually not a very good trigger pull.
    The geometry of the front trigger, it's pivot point and relation to the kicker sear attached to the action is not ideal for a nice clean light pull.
    That's just the way most DST set ups on MAuser and Mannlicher rifles are. Some are better than others, but a general rule is not to expect too much from the unset trigger pull.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you very much for the procedure. I’ll try that as soon as I get home. This forum has proven again to be a wealth of knowledge.

Shelly

Boolit Master
    "The adjustment screw doesn't seem to change anything."
    Proper use of the adjusting screw assumes that the trigger is functioning properly. If Bubba and his rusty file of doom had decided to "smooth out" that trigger pull by stoning or otherwise removing material from the engagement area of the set trigger, the forward trigger would only be holding it by the very slimmest of margins. For the mechanism to operate properly the engagement between those two triggers needs to have a range of adjustment: from somewhat too heavy to no engagement, with the range being set by the adjustment screw. If someone didn't fully understand the way a set trigger works and decided to lighten the trigger pull by removing material from the engagement surfaces, this would result in too light of a trigger pull with no actual way to regulate it with the adjustment screw. Pull the trigger guard and examine the amount of engagement you have with the screw backed all the way out. If this is the problem, you may need to replace or make a new rear trigger.

I've seen stuff get destroyed by people that don't know what their doing. But this is nothing compared to the damage caused by people that THINK they know what their doing.

That rifle will Hunt! Congratulations on getting it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    "The adjustment screw doesn't seem to change anything."
    Proper use of the adjusting screw assumes that the trigger is functioning properly. If Bubba and his rusty file of doom had decided to "smooth out" that trigger pull by stoning or otherwise removing material from the engagement area of the set trigger, the forward trigger would only be holding it by the very slimmest of margins. For the mechanism to operate properly the engagement between those two triggers needs to have a range of adjustment: from somewhat too heavy to no engagement, with the range being set by the adjustment screw. If someone didn't fully understand the way a set trigger works and decided to lighten the trigger pull by removing material from the engagement surfaces, this would result in too light of a trigger pull with no actual way to regulate it with the adjustment screw. Pull the trigger guard and examine the amount of engagement you have with the screw backed all the way out. If this is the problem, you may need to replace or make a new rear trigger.

I've seen stuff get destroyed by people that don't know what their doing. But this is nothing compared to the damage caused by people that THINK they know what their doing.
    Famous last words that have destroyed many guns, "Don't worry, I have a Dremel tool!"
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I got the trigger set at about 3 ounces. Best I could get. The adjustment screw never caused it to release. Pulled it out and it looks good. I just left it out and the trigger is light but very consistent. Thank you 2152hq for the instructions. Even I could follow them. Scrubbed the Lyman 48 and it now has full travel on both axis. Loaded up some 180gr gas checked over 2400 last night. Didn't find the time to shoot today. Maybe tomorrow.
    Retirement is really great.