RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I kick myself (Bullseye can)

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple cans of 5066 pistol powder.
    One is unopened.
    You can find old and I mean old data for it.
    Far as I can tell it is fine.
    I should load a few from the opened can just to say I done it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I would like to find one or two of those old bullseye cans in really good condition. I still use bullseye in my pistols and revolvers and I am not a great big fan of the new plastic cans (even though I know they are probably better).
    Don't know why exactly, but don't think I've seen one without a little rust inside. Don't know if the nitro percentage of the old powder, or just age or both.

Banned
    for those of you with this antique powder,

feel like doing some scientific experimenting with your chronograph and compare the period load data versus the newest load data for it?

I have a few with Unique and Bullseye

Boolit Buddy
    Bought this from my Mentor when he decided to get out of Handloading about 15 years ago.
    It was still sealed, and I have loaded thousands of rounds from it. It is now empty, but I keep it around as a reminder of good times past in the company of one of the finest men I have ever known. Spencer passed away in Jan of 2011.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200426-001100_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	261054

Name:	Screenshot_20200426-001124_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	261055

Name:	Screenshot_20200426-001448_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	261056
    Got-R-Did.

I too keep things of friends and family members that have passed. They may not be of value to others, but to me they are special. They will stay with me until I pass and then what my wife does is up to her.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Plastic bottles for powder offer one distinct advantage they would soften (if not melt) in a fire well before the powder inside would be likely to ignite. Melting uses heat so it might even hold the contents at a little cooler point for longer. The plastic bottles are not strong enough to act as a "case" that allows pressure from ignition to build to detonation levels in a fire. Will burn, not likely to explode.

The modern plastic bottles also are sort of anonymous, just a plastic bottle with a label on it. The old tins being painted are much more works of art. However the price stickers on those bottles will be good conversation starters someday I'm sure. I have a box of Laser Cast with a price sticker of $28 and change. Cabela's has the same item today for over $60 so those plastic bottles may never be super collectable but "you only paid how much for that 8# jug?" will be a perfect launch point into discussion of the good old days of WW's and cheap powder.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikonuser View Post
    for those of you with this antique powder,

feel like doing some scientific experimenting with your chronograph and compare the period load data versus the newest load data for it?
    I did just that (sort of anyhow) a couple years ago. It was 100 year old Bullseye, nicely sealed in tiny little brass canisters. Actually I can't guarantee the loose rounds were for sure Bullseye, but a sealed box of vintage 45 acp rounds listed Bullseye powder, and velocity at 800 fps, if I remember correctly. I shot 7 rounds dated 1917. The one that went over the chronograph clocked 803 fps, as I recall. I was impressed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have one with the tag, Charlies Bait Shop, Conover, NC., price was $2.65. That was the go to place till the early 80's. Someone gave me that unopened can a couple years ago, still does fine.
    Conover is a two hour drive east of me but I used to stop at Charly's when I was going that way. It was a well stocked store and reasonable prices for the 70s. In fact, I bought a set of Savage Arms Co. dies (.243) from Charley. (They are the only bad die set I've ever seen, both the sizer and seater, so I know why Savage didn't last long.)

Ah well ... all that was in another life, long ago and far away before political "liberals" had the power to make everything "better". All "for the children", you know ...

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my bullseye

I also have unopend boxes of 1908 colt 32's and primes and well just a bunch of stuff no one sees anymore.

Boxes and boxes of the old gun stuff.

Customers bring it in just to get rid of it. I bring it home and stick on the shelf to look at or put it up on the the display shelf at the shop for display.

Picked up 3 boxes of 8mm NIB on strippers with the waffen amp ( eagle swastika ) head stamp back in Feb. 1942 date
    Opened one box to verify it was what it was all three boxes same lot number.
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Boolit Grand Master

They have TV shows about interventions on people who don’t throw stuff like that away.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    They have TV shows about interventions on people who don’t throw stuff like that away.
    never saw it threw my TV out to make room for stuff like that !

My buddy owns a bait shop and guys are always bringing in gun stuff LOL

Just the free coffee makes hanging around the place worth it. Never mind the old cans.

OH mine are all full they guy brought in a whole box of it and the cardboard blue dot cans too!

So no sense tossing them till I use the powder. Or what ever else is in the boxes.

Rich

Boolit Bub
    Beautiful can, wish I had few.

I just opened a can of 2400 it's shooting fine

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I got an older powder can not even open. I keep wondering if I should open it or leave it?
    I picked up some old powder cans that were full and unopened. Including a 2400 tin exactly like that bullseye tin. After dilemmaing for a while I opened it so I wouldn’t have to worry about the powder deteriorating.
    I’m actually loading up a few test rounds as the powder smelled completely fine. Mild loads and will watch velocities for erratic speeds. Probably should have just left it clos3d. Probably would have kept for another 50 years safely. Then my kids could deal with the bomb squad after I’m gone.

I've got a couple of these that I've picked up at gun shows. Don't know the year/vintage. They were both full, unopened cans, and are now empty. jd

Attachment 263366

Boolit Buddy
    I have some 2400 cans like that. Are they worth anything?

Boolit Master

I've got a bunch of old M.T. powder cans in my shed that I would LOVE to give to anyone who wants them but I can't believe anyone would be crazy enough to pay the shipping costs. "Chesterfield's smoke rings and smoke dreams". (^8
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    Those powders keep just fine, it's rifle stuff you have to keep an eye on.

I have been using BE and Unique as you show, almost identical velocity, so enjoy it.

Anyone know the difference between Norma 203 and 203b?

Name:	895BE733-5F2C-4395-AEF7-648494915CF4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	268534picked this up last year from Steve at the range last year.
    I’ve been using the contents for charging my 38/55 Marlin.
    It seems to work!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast