Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I kick myself (Bullseye can)

Boolit Master

I haven't been reloading long enough to have any "vintage" powder cans. I've accumulated enough 8 lb jugs that I did not want to drag out every time I set up to use a particular powder, so I bought a single 1 lb can of each so I could keep out a smaller quantity of the powder I was using.

I did this mostly to avoid being tempted to use any old container with sharpie markings. Figured that would come back to bite me someday.

Any suggestions for those 8 pounders of surplus powders?
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Plastic bottles for powder offer one distinct advantage they would soften (if not melt) in a fire well before the powder inside would be likely to ignite. Melting uses heat so it might even hold the contents at a little cooler point for longer. The plastic bottles are not strong enough to act as a "case" that allows pressure from ignition to build to detonation levels in a fire. Will burn, not likely to explode.

The modern plastic bottles also are sort of anonymous, just a plastic bottle with a label on it. The old tins being painted are much more works of art. However the price stickers on those bottles will be good conversation starters someday I'm sure. I have a box of Laser Cast with a price sticker of $28 and change. Cabela's has the same item today for over $60 so those plastic bottles may never be super collectable but "you only paid how much for that 8# jug?" will be a perfect launch point into discussion of the good old days of WW's and cheap powder.
    I ran across a brick of 22LR the other day that has a Kmart sticker on it for 9.86. I wish I would have bought more then.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123