Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington No. 4 rolling block question

Boolit Master

The original 32 rim fire was loaded with 9 grains of black powder. The 32 S&W long came along after 1900 and was never a black powder round, loaded to 16,000 psi which is the same pressure as a 32-20. I have converted a few #4s to 32 S&W but recommend using the short which was originally a black powder load and still loaded to those pressures. I have a 25 and 32 rim fire in the shop now but because they are both takedown models they will get lined as a 22LR. I am a fan of the #4, it was the first gun I ever owned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The original 32 rim fire was loaded with 9 grains of black powder. The 32 S&W long came along after 1900 and was never a black powder round, loaded to 16,000 psi which is the same pressure as a 32-20. I have converted a few #4s to 32 S&W but recommend using the short which was originally a black powder load and still loaded to those pressures. I have a 25 and 32 rim fire in the shop now but because they are both takedown models they will get lined as a 22LR. I am a fan of the #4, it was the first gun I ever owned.
    I don't mean to be contrary, but the .32 S&W long was introduced in 1896 as a black powder cartridge, and updated to smokeless in 1903. Loading to 15KPSI is Saami max. Most factory ammo is closer to 11-12KPSI.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I don't mean to be contrary, but the .32 S&W long was introduced in 1896 as a black powder cartridge, and updated to smokeless in 1903. Loading to 15KPSI is Saami max. Most factory ammo is closer to 11-12KPSI.
    Barnes agrees with John. Says that the S&W Long was developed for the 1903 S&W Hand Ejector First Model. Barnes was usually right. If there's a conflicting source I don't know about it, and obviously neither did he.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    In 1903, the S&W second model 32 hand ejector was introduced, along with the updated gun, the .32 S&W long was updated to smokeless.

The first model S&W hand ejector was introduced in 1896, chambered in .32 S&W long, and it was a black powder chambering.

Barnes was good, but not infallible.
    Last edited by NoZombies; 03-06-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: edited to sound less like a jerk... hope it worked

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Touche. Wouldn't be the only time Barnes fooled us.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Sometimes the info I get is wrong and that makes me wrong. Found another place that shows the 32S&W long at 15,000. There's all kinds of info out there and some of it not right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Sometimes the info I get is wrong and that makes me wrong. Found another place that shows the 32S&W long at 15,000. There's all kinds of info out there and some of it not right.
    Isn't that the truth! I once found a listing that showed Saami for the .32 S&W (short) to be 17KPSI! Obviously incorrect, but Unless they were listing the proof pressure, I don't know where they would have even gotten the number.

There are lots of thoughts and opinions on these things, and I think it's safe to say that the #4 isn't a strong action, and should be treated with deference due to age, design deficiencies, and questionable materials and heat treat.

Boolit Master
    Also Check the CIP Standards if the cartridge is used/loaded in countries under their jurisdictions.
    The Pressures are listed in Bars, which could be mis converted to psi and give some 'strange' results.
    CIP does Publish their Standards and Requirements on line for easy access.

Chev. William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12