RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: paper patch in rifle with muzzle brake?

Boolit Mold

paper patch in rifle with muzzle brake?

Has any one tried using paper patch in a rifle with a muzzle brake? Possible issue of paper coming off bullet during exit from break affecting accuracy ---? My 338 wm has a brake on it, wanting to trying patching for it.

it's been years since I've posted here, now semi retired and looking forward to getting back into doing a lot of reloading, shooting/hunting. Cheers everyone and thanks for any and all replies. Bob.
    Last edited by semiretired2; 02-28-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: additional details

Boolit Mold
    Noted in searches here, most feel that with a brake you do not get the accuracy with PP, but posts were several years ago. The brake I have on the M70 is threaded on, so can remove and compare accuracy with on and off. Will get a resizer to reduce my casting to .332 then patch up. Will post results.

Looking forward to your results. I might suggest developing your patched loads without the brake on.

What load levels are you aiming for? Full power or reduced?

I started out with a particular rifle fitted with a non removable suppressor. I have no idea whether my accuracy issues were suppressor related or not. It's one of these guns that has no hope of shooting a jacketed bullet worth a hoot, it being a 'salvaged' bore with rust having modified the dimensions somewhat. It does shoot shorter subsonic patched boolits very accurately.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    303 guy - thanks for the reply. Looking to work up both a plinker and also a full strength load for hunting. Will keep you guys posted. Over the years all of you on this forum have assisted with my reloading --much appreciated.

In Remembrance

I PP 375 Gr. PP made to order slugs I cast for my .416 Taylor. I had the Model 70 Mag-Na-Ported when I first had it made up thinking I would only use `J` bullets through it . The accuracy doesn`t seem affected with the porting making some very tight groups at 100 yds for 5 shot strings.Robert

Boolit Mold
    Robert -- thanks for the reply. What are you getting for velocity in your 416 Taylor with that load? My other question is do you use anything underneath the patched boolit for a filler over the powder?

Boolit Master

I had thought about PP for my 50 BMG but discarded the idea because of the muzzle brake on the 30 inch barrel. I am able to get to 2100 fps with pan lubed linotype and 1 moa accuracy. Accuracy deteriorates any faster than that. I may revisit the PP idea this summer and see at what point accuracy begins to go downhill. The goal would be to achieve accuracy beyond 2100 fps. 2400 or even 2500 fps would be fantastic. Thats what makes this sport great. There is no end to the experimentation.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I seen highspeed footage of paper patch and the paper came off maybe half a foot to a foot out the barrel, seemingly as the bullet catches up to the faster blast wave of the gunpowders speed, idk if that's typical or not, or if that helps answer your question.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by semiretired2 View Post
    Robert -- thanks for the reply. What are you getting for velocity in your 416 Taylor with that load? My other question is do you use anything underneath the patched boolit for a filler over the powder?
    I do not give loads that I use here for others to try simply for the liability. I don`t have a chrono to check velocity with so that question is answered. I use reduced load data for a 400 grain `J` bullet loading so I`m probably in the 1500 - 1700 FPS range (a guess estamation). I don`t use any filler under the PP boolet of any kind. I apply a light wipe of JPwax before sizing in a push thru .417" sizer I made. I again apply a very light JPW coat at loading The PP is shed at the muzzle all the time and perhaps about 10` out, I use regular copier paper wet wrapped and a day later lubed and sized.Robert

Robert, when you say regular copier paper, what do you mean? I'm finding that there are different grades of copier/printer paper. I was using el cheapo copier paper which is very porous and compressible (and seems to work well) but higher grade paper seems denser and tougher but the same thickness.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Robert, when you say regular copier paper, what do you mean? I'm finding that there are different grades of copier/printer paper. I was using el cheapo copier paper which is very porous and compressible (and seems to work well) but higher grade paper seems denser and tougher but the same thickness.
    The last paper I got was HP Everyday copy & Print paper.from an Office Depot store. Since there are 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11" paper I can`t say how long ago I bought this 20 lb. gauge bundle. Yes I have tried other papers including the famous `Green bar` print out paper as well as different tracing paper and other more odd types. I seem to always come back to the copier paper for wet wrapping to suit my needs.Robert

Two things I like about the cheaper copier/printer paper - it's easy to roll on tight, either dry or wet and it is compressible, making it great for seating in unsized case necks. It also makes for a firm fit into the throat when chambered.