Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP Molds.....

Boolit Grand Master

Not only is he a craftsman in the old school style, Mia Prevec is good people. He stands behind his product and does not let anyone go away unsatisfied, in my experience with him. Order in confidence.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I only cast with Accurate and MP molds now. I also always purchase in 2's so I can run faster. I have a shelf of them now. Very impressed by both. Lee molds don't get my attention any longer unless I just want something cheap to test with. Dual cavity lee molds are just fine if you have experimenting to do. But once I decide I really want to cast in quantity, I either jump on a MP group buy or special order from Accurate. I also prefer the Cam style sprue plates, which accurate uses. MP's larger 8 cavity 9mm molds also have the cam style plates. I try to stick with those when at all possible. Just a personal preference I suppose.

Boolit Mold
    I’m glad I came across this thread because I’m getting ready to upgrade my molds and melter.

I have always started with Lee equipment because it’s affordable. Then after I awhile I up my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

MPs are absolutely beautiful moulds. But as far a casting large amounts, I'd rather use a Lee. Maybe because the MPs that I own are brass. Brass takes forever to warm up and weighs a ton. But I won't be selling my MPs anytime soon.

I have only used a couple of MP molds. Excellent quality certainly and at a very decent price. Miha is good person to do business with and has a first rate reputation for customer service that I concur with. I have more NOE molds and have been most pleased with them. Quality and proven designs, also with a solid and deserved reputation.

Most of my oversized, or odd weight bullets are from NOE they have good options for that mil-surp rifle or weight that will shoot well in your specific firearm. 303 british, 70 grain .223, 32 acp, hollow base 38 wad cutter are examples of molds that came from there.

MP is good for the 8 cavity bulk production, and as others have said the hollow point Kramer style is often preferred. I don't think I would be comfortable with the weight of an 8 cavity brass mold. Would also have a hard time figuring out why I would put up with the weight. Aluminum certainly works well, is it the best? Well it works and at a weight that I find manageable so how much "better" can one get?

Ah yes. Lee I have a fair number of these. The 6 cavity are much better than the 2 cavity. They do require some drilling and tapping for a counter sunk flat head screw where the steel cam from the sprue plate hits the aluminum mold body and a set screw against the bolt that is the hinge for the sprue plate. They work without those but the NOE and MP molds will have them and I consider them highly desirable. Thing is they have some really good designs, that provide either a 2 cavity to try for really cheap, or a pretty productive 6 cavity for when one desires a high volume turn out. The Lee bullet for SKS/AK is a proven winner and at $40 for a 6 cavity hard to beat. The 38 SWC tumble lube design is good also. The bore rider 8mm is good, is it the best? Not sure, but certainly good. Some decent 45 bullets too. Hard to beat being able to add a caliber for $20 to $40 dollars. Round ball I have no complaints either. Their molds seem good enough to qualify as basic transportation to get you loading for that caliber. I guess I need a "reason" to consider a non-Lee mold. The examples I sited above provide that reason.

I also like Lyman steel molds. Those are also in my budget only when they provide a caliber, weight, or profile that isn't as readily available in other molds. Examples are a 38 button nose wad cutter that matches case impingement of my regular 38 SWC or RN bullets. Same loads work, and yield nearly same pressures. Of course the wasp waisted shotgun slug mold, or the Minnie ball mold they have is excellent.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a mold from any of the three. Lee, MP, or NOE and would also buy Lyman or other steel molds if they offered what I desired. Just know what you are getting for your money in terms of materials and workmanship. Shop for who has what you want. Consider price and what qualifies as meeting your needs. I only load 44 mag for one of the kids, and a few for friend very rarely. Lee meets my needs for 44 mold at a price that works for that use case. I don't need a $90 mold for the couple hundred I'll make in a year. $20 dual cavity? Yep I'll spend that. When considering a mold purchase ask around. Often someone will have what you are considering and can help inform your decision.

I may try Accurate for a bullet I'm not seeing offered. Light 7.62 x 39 down around 135 grain. NOE has a nice mold at 150 grain so I may go with that. But I'm sure at some point I'll find a use case that makes giving Accurate a try the "right" choice.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    MP makes great molds and I own several, but I can’t do long casting sessions with the 4 cavity ones like I can the NOE or Lee gang molds unless I remember to take an anti-inflammatory pill the night before. Fortunately I can go thru a full pot of lead before I have to take a break, so it’s a problem I can live with.

You’ll never own a prettier mold, I can promise you that.

NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    MPs are absolutely beautiful moulds. But as far a casting large amounts, I'd rather use a Lee. Maybe because the MPs that I own are brass. Brass takes forever to warm up and weighs a ton. But I won't be selling my MPs anytime soon.
    A hot plate is your friend.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    A 4 cavity MP Brass mold weighs almost exactly the same as a Lyman 4 cavity Iron mold. Which is Nothing next to an 8 cavity H&G. Man up!

All this complaining about mold weight then you go fill them with lead. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As i said i love my mp mold but i still use a lot of lee molds to because of arthritis in hands its easier for me to cast with a light mold

Boolit Master
    I still use my Lee moulds, 401-175 TC and 356-120 TC are both excellent.
    The .38 cal RF designs also work very well. I love NOE and the rest too, different kettle of fish.
    Those moulds are like works of art.