RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 45acp LSWC that will run in Kimber 4" barrrel ? ? ?

Boolit Bub

45acp LSWC that will run in Kimber 4" barrrel ? ? ?

Have tried Berry 185 (plated) SWC, Hangs up at top of chamber entrance. Crimped to .470 (taper)

Boolit Grand Master
    What is OAL? If this is a 1911 most thrive on a longnose HG68 pattern loaded to 1.250.”

Boolit Master
    If I'm not mistaken, I read on this forum that Tom at Accurate Molds designed his 45-200E specifically for Kimbers. I don't load for a Kimber but it's a fine boolit.

I have an Accurate Molds 45-200H for my 3 inch and 5 inch Kimbers and get 100% function. It's listed in Tom's catalog as a H & G 68 clone. My OAL is 2.235 so live rounds eject without hanging up on the extended ejectors. I can't say what crimped diameter is. In my case, if it plunks, it works.

I've run many hundreds of either of these, one is the lyman 452460 lube sized and the other is the Lee TL-452-200-SWC that's PC'd...OAL, 1.180" & crimp .472"

They go into battery almost all the time, there's always a non conformer but they seem to be few and far between. They do punch nice round/clean holes.
    Since then I've started running the old standby cast, Lyman 452374 and it has been solid all the way...OAL, 1.270" & crimp .471"

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Is your kimber non-ramped?

H&G 68 and copies thereof have fed in everything I have tried them in. (200grain SWC, 1.25 OAL.)
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by old benn View Post
    Have tried Berry 185 (plated) SWC, Hangs up at top of chamber entrance. Crimped to .470 (taper)
    Are you experiencing what we call a 3-point jam? The live round stops at a 45 degree angle before the rim begins to slide up the breech face?

This often happens with a short OAL, usually determined by what will and what will not plunk.

If it feeds through the magazine but won't go into battery, there is not enough freebore in the barrel, OR the boolit is greater in diameter than the freebore in the throat, IF it has any. The proper thing to do is have the barrel throated, then you can seat out to whatever OAL you want to, feeding is improved, and groups shrink because freebore holds the boolit concentric to the bore as the boolit leaves the case and enters the throat. It's a win win all the way around.

When I get done with the throat you can stuff the boolit in the case backwards and it will still plunk.

Just because it has the name on the outside of the slide, doesn't mean a thing if the barrel is no better or no different than any number of other 1911 barrels I have had in my shop for throating. I don't mean Kimber any disrespect, but I have yet to see one that knocks my socks off. However, once they are throated, they run like a greased pig.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-28-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 5 inch Kimber Hero and a 4.25 inch Colt Commander that I have run both factory (Black Hills) and hand-loaded 200gr. SWC through reliably. I do not cast my own 200gr. SWC bullets but Commercial H&G 68 copies with 3.9gr. of VV-N310 at 1.238-1.246 (some variance here depending on which Commercial bullet I use) feed reliably and eject relably. I use KimPro 7-shot and Metalform Elite 8-shot magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Are you experiencing what we call a 3-point jam? The live round stops at a 45 degree angle before the rim begins to slide up the breech face?

This often happens with a short OAL, usually determined by what will and what will not plunk.

If it feeds through the magazine but won't go into battery, there is not enough freebore in the barrel, OR the boolit is greater in diameter than the freebore in the throat, IF it has any. The proper thing to do is have the barrel throated, then you can seat out to whatever OAL you want to, feeding is improved, and groups shrink because freebore holds the boolit concentric to the bore as the boolit leaves the case and enters the throat. It's a win win all the way around.

When I get done with the throat you can stuff the boolit in the case backwards and it will still plunk.

Just because it has the name on the outside of the slide, doesn't mean a thing if the barrel is no better or no different than any number of other 1911 barrels I have had in my shop for throating. I don't mean Kimber any disrespect, but I have yet to see one that knocks my socks off. However, once they are throated, they run like a greased pig.
    I have an Accurate mold that casts a 230 grain a round nose flat Bullet. Sorry don’t know the # off hand, but it looks like the traditional 45 acp bullet with a small flat. It loads ok, but I had DougGuy throat it as discussed above.

Don’t know about loading the bullet backwards, but it has not given me any problem since Doug did his magic!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    My 5” Kimber will feed everthing I have tried in it. For SWC, I use a commercially produced H&G 68 clone. The COL I use is 1.240” with a taper crimp of .470”.