MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for suggestions

Banned
    222 is a scaled down 50 BMG.

According to John Barsness .222 is more like scaled down 7x57....

Boolit Buddy
    I always heard 50 BMG was a scaled up 30-60
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I always heard 50 BMG was a scaled up 30-60
    Nope, scaled up 30-06.

Only John Browning, Wayne Leek, and Mike Walker know for sure what the .50 BMG and .222 were based on. Along with some other dead folks. I'm in the" based on the 7x57"camp, myself. It probably inspired the 30-03/06 if you think about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’d keep the .222 dies and sell the other two sets and put that money into my new .222 Rem rifle built on a 700 action and a Krieger barrel...

dang! ...now I’ve gotta order a barrel
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

I don't have access to the sources listed in footnotes 4 and 5, but this information from Wikipedia agrees whit what I have read several times over the years..

History
    John Browning had the idea for this round during World War I in response to a need for an anti-aircraft weapon, based on a scaled-up .30-06 Springfield design, used in a machine gun based on a scaled-up M1919/M1917 design that Browning had initially developed around 1900 (but which was not adopted by the U.S. military until 1917, hence the model designation).[4] Armor-piercing incendiary tracer (APIT) rounds were especially effective against aircraft, and the AP rounds and armor-piercing incendiary (API) rounds were excellent for destroying concrete bunkers, structures, and lighter armored fighting vehicles (AFVs). The API and APIT rounds left a flash, report, and smoke on contact, useful in detecting strikes on targets.[5]

4. Skinner, Stan (November 20, 2013). Shooter's Bible Guide to Extreme Iron. Skyhorse Publishing Company, Incorporated. p. 172. ISBN 978-1-62873-538-3.
    5. Dunlap, Roy F., Ordnance Went Up Front, Samworth Press (1948), pp. 311–312.

Cartridge dimensions

12.7×99mm NATO cartridge dimensions in inch
    The .50 BMG (12.7×99mm NATO) cartridge has a capacity of 290 grains H2O (19 ml). The round is a scaled-up version of the .30-06 Springfield but uses a case wall with a long taper to facilitate feeding and extraction in various weapons.

The common rifling twist rate for this cartridge is 1 in 15 in (380 mm), with eight lands and grooves. The primer type specified for this ammunition is a boxer primer that has a single centralized ignition point (US and NATO countries).[9] However, some other countries produce the ammunition with Berdan primers that have two flash holes.

The average chamber pressure in this round as listed in TM43-0001-27,[10] the U.S. Army Ammunition Data Sheets — Small Caliber Ammunition, not including plastic practice, short cased spotter, or proof/test loads, is 54,923 psi (378,680 kPa). The proof/test pressure is listed as 65,000 psi (450,000 kPa).

Boolit Master
    If you have the urge to shoot cast in a 22 centerfire, it is hard to go wrong with a triple deuce. Training my 223's to shoot cast has been a long adventure but the 222's took to cast like ducks to water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12