Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: NOE .25 Hunter Pellet Penetration

NOE .25 Hunter Pellet Penetration

I did a soap penetration test today, comparing the 26.7 gr. NOE Hunter pellet to a 25.4 gr. JSB King, both fired from my regulated 2560 which shoots at 52 FPE.... Here are the recovered pellets, side and front view....

The head of the NOE pellet after impact was a few thou larger than the head of the JSB.... The JSB shortened a few thou more than the NOE, probably because I used 40:1 alloy (2.5% tin) to cast the NOE instead of pure lead.... The Meplat of the NOE pellet increased in diameter from 0.160" to 0.210", and showed a noticeable cupping as it expanded.... Even though the NOE pellet had a slightly greater SD because it is 1.3 gr. heavier, the penetration was a bit less, 120 mm instead of 130 mm.... showing that it is dumping energy faster during penetration as the flat nose of the pellet expands....

While this is not a perfect comparison with how the NOE Hunter pellet will perform on game, it is certainly an indication that is is doing what it was designed to do....

Bob

Wow's accuracy with NOE?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I haven't tested yet, but Wayne reports it is on a par with the JSBs....

Bob

Boolit Master

I've been considering the Magnum Hunter pellet, and casting using pure tin as a replacement for the 19.9 gr. H&N Green's that I usually hunt with. The land owner where I have access to hundreds of ground squirrels demands lead free, but it turns out that they shoot tighter groups than the lead JSB's in my Marauder anyway.
    A tin of 150 H&N Greens are 20 bucks, and for that same $20 I can cast 350 pellets using rotometals tin. The way I figure it, after 3,500 pellets, the NOE mold is paid for...

Boolit Master
    In my guns these cast pellets have not equaled accuracy of the JSBs or H&Ns. In .25 and .30 cals. they will save a lot of money, but I have tried all the diff. plugs for depth of skirt, many diff. alloys, etc. I think that there would be better accuracy with swaged soft lead pellets.

Boolit Bub
    Now that I have switched the 1-14 twist factory barrel in my Rainstorm II, the NOE cast .25's are dead accurate!

Very pleased with NOE quality, as always. ;<)

Boolit Master

I have not tried yet but would like to cast a .26" maybe even .27" round ball for my .25 caliber N.P. air rifle .
    I made some dies to swage a 20.3 grain solid base pellet from #4 buckshot they shoot better then factory pellets.
    I forgot the exact velocity i think it is 834 f/s?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

You want to keep the diameter to the same as the groove diameter of your barrel.... I bought some #3 buck to try in my .25 cal, and the variation in diameter was enough to go from rolling through the barrel to not being able to load them.... When I selected ones that were close to the groove diameter, so that I could shoot them, the accuracy was nowhere near that of pellets....

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    You want to keep the diameter to the same as the groove diameter of your barrel.... I bought some #3 buck to try in my .25 cal, and the variation in diameter was enough to go from rolling through the barrel to not being able to load them.... When I selected ones that were close to the groove diameter, so that I could shoot them, the accuracy was nowhere near that of pellets....

Bob
    None of the #3 i tried are even close to fitting the bore i would think the ball would need to be larger to take rifling well . I should try paper patching ?
    I shoot BB shot in a .177 air rifle with very good results they hit hard too!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.