Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45-70 mold help.

Boolit Master

45-70 mold help.

im needing help picking out a mold in the 405 grain range for my pedersoli sharps in 45-70.Can yall look at Accurate Molds site and help me find what i need to shoot 300 yards off bench.I ll shoot mostly groups 100-200 yards and hunt with it some perhaps.ill want a plain base with 3 grease grooves as my barrel is 34 inches and will size to .460 thanks!

PS i was looking at the 46-405H do i assume the front band being negative will that allow the bullet to touch the lands before the driving bands do?
    Last edited by barnabus; 07-08-2019 at 10:17 PM.

I was taught, and in practice it works great for me, that the boolit should fill the throat as much as possible, and size it over groove diameter as well.. You can use a bore riding boolit, but the throat is really important. I would cast the chamber, and change the dimensions of a mold to suit your boolit. I usually just design a boolit to fit my chamber/throat/bore once I have cast the chamber cast. Without that you are guessing.

I use a 400 grain boolit in my TD and '86 Win. One mold was made by Tom, and is a great boolit.

Edit: 45-70 SAAMI standard for chamber has a very short throat. Anyway, a mold designed around your rifle is really the best way to go. JMHO, as YMMV.

Most Pedersoli 1874 do very well with .460 cast boolit. In my Pedersoli 1874 I use a 350 gr. RNFP Ranch Dog boolit sized .460 over 43 gr. of IMR-4198 powder as my hunting boolit. My rifle will group that load into one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I prefer the 350 gr. over the 405 gr. for reduced recoil at the FPS I load that hunting boolit. 1850-1875 FPS. That load has proven itself on several buffalo and one 275 pound wild boar all one shot kills. That load is just under 29,000 PSI and will not void the Pedersoli warranty that is set at 29,000 for 1874.

Boolit Master
    I started most of my load developments for .45-70s with the Ideal 457124. It’s a copy of the Government bullet for the Trapdoor. It never failed to give good accuracy in all of them. It works well to 400 yards or so. Accurate should have a clone of the design.

Boolit Master
    There is a Mihec group buy going on in "Group Buys" -section here. Take a look.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Lyman #457193 mold that casts boolits at .455 using Lyman #2 alloy. Is this common or do I have a incorrectly cut mold?

I believe that casting at .455 will be too small of a dia. for the majority of 45/70 caliber rifles. Are you sure that mold is for a 45/70 bullet or could it be for a 45 Colt bullet. I am not familiar with the Lyman#457193

Lyman 457193 is a "405 grain flat nose" rifle boolit. Sounds like the mold was cut too small (worn out cherry ?). At .455" it is most likely too small for typical .45 applications. I would think you would want .458 or .459 (.460 even). You can open the mold up some, but that sounds like a lot of beagling.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. Yes it is for a rifle boolit being about an inch long and weighing 405 grains. I contacted Lyman and they have started a ticket for me to return the mold for repair or replacement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohjim View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes it is for a rifle boolit being about an inch long and weighing 405 grains. I contacted Lyman and they have started a ticket for me to return the mold for repair or replacement.
    thanks for hi-jacking my thread.next time maybe open your own. Moderators plz close.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I also have have a 457193 my alloy 50/50 WW-1/20 drops .458+ .

Of the 6 moulds on hand 5 wrung out it is the most load , powder , brass flexible bullet so far in an 1895 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Vendor Sponsor

The Lyman 457193 is Lyman's copy of the 130 or so year old Marlin 45 GOV bullet design.
    An under sized one is useless. Sorry you have such a mold.

A correct sized one is a good bullet for the 45-70 in Lever rifles.
    There are many that come up on ebay used for not too much money.
    Chill Wills