RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 ncbs

Watching the weather unfold was sure a surprise. That is why we live in the west though, ever-changing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Today I am testing a theory for the practical shoot. How long does it take for a smaller gong to stop swinging so a second shot can be taken? The goal is to speed the shoot up and make it more fun. My idea may not be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Hang something from it that will drag on the ground? (piece of rope with a weight on it??) That should slow it down fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    depends on what hits it- a hit with a .32 H&R just tickles it and we have to wait until it stops giggling. A hit with a 45-70 and we have to hit it while it's on the run.
    Loren
    I don't know if y'all figured something out for the gong, and I know the event is over, but kind of like Hicks idea, next time if ya haven't fixed it yet, try drilling a small hole in the bottom of the gong, attach a bungee cord with a weight like a red brick or something to the other end & that should help. Even an old log end that sits on the ground on one end with the bungee around the other should help.

Anyway. Looking forward to any more narrative & pics here, if they show up.

Maybe someday I can make the trip.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    One thing learned about those gong targets is the weak spot is now the shackle that attaches the gong to the hanging chain. This year what made a big difference was that I used a much heavier duty chain of pieces cut from a logging choker chain. Wires or string from the chain to the vertical post to reduce swing tend to get cut by lead splatter. One thing that I wish I could have seen was Fast Asleep hitting the 8" gong with his 40/65 (if memory serves). It launched the whole gong, chains, and horizontal rebar assembly into the air. For the event the distance was about 75 yards. The winner got 4 of 5 hits in the one minute with a Savage Mod 99 in 303 Sav. caliber. Impressive since this is not an easy shoot.

Boolit Master

I guess I missed the pictures
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCBS 2019.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	243307
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    Quilbilly- car wash?
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    Quilbilly- car wash?
    Loren
    The rainstorms we went through along the Columbia River took care of the mud on the car and Holly cleaned the wheels when we got home. You would never know we went out and had a great time on the backroads of Nevada. The car got all mud covered again when we tried to go out prospecting for opal in the basin west of Jackpot but we had to back out of the mud from Salmon Falls Creek. Maybe next year we will find the source of that fire opal piece Holly picked up. Even if NCBS wasn't such a fun event, it is still an excuse to get out to some beautiful country.

Boolit Master
    This past weekend we went back to Unionville (SW of Winnemucca) and found lots of fossils. Hot, dusty.
    Loren

Name:	Ward Range.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	243376

Name:	NCBS2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	243378

The Pistol Champions

Name:	NCBS3.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	243379

Boolit Grand Master

Ok in the last picture I only count 8, what ever happened to 10 most wanted, 2 get caught?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Name:	1 (3).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	243510

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Ok in the last picture I only count 8, what ever happened to 10 most wanted, 2 get caught?
    Well thats obvious - One is taking the picture and one is on overwatch

Boolit Master

Name:	19 - 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	243609

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Quillbilly and Holly. It was a great time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Super Moderator

.............I'm late in posting but I had a great time. The trip up from So. Cal was an adventure. Once into Nevada I turn off US 6 (East - West) onto NV360 (cutting the corner from US 6 to US 95 North) when the Right-rear tire blew. Being new to cell phones I got to do that "Hold it up and pivit around looking for a signal" routine. I had the tiniest little teeny weeny bar (of 5). It took 3 tries to finally get the Mineral Cnty Sheriff's Dept.

I won't go into the details of WHY I had to call for help............. Made it into Winnemucca 3 hours late but okay. After breakfast the next morning Ammohead and I got to deal with a brain dead 20 something at Wal-Mart, and instead went to Les Swab for an enjoyable experience in getting 2 new tires (one a new spare) .

The shoot was great, and per usual I didn't win anything, but I did get sight settings for a couple of the matches. I didn't win an individual match because I was having too much fun BSing with folks who all speak the same language. However I WAS on the winning team for the Team Pistol Match. We were superb and gave team 2 a real spanking. For the team rifle shoot we ALMOST won, but forgot to shoot at the TOP of the board to knock it over, so those skanks on on team 2 won . They may have won, but I can tell you that team 1 was the handsomest best looking, and without doubt the most intelligent group of ladies and gentlemen you'd ever run across. I actually thought we'd be able to sure world hunger before we had to leave for home.

There were the usual wonderous firearms out there being shot, and with the owners demanding that you handle AND shoot some you've only read about. The only problem with the entire thing is, after having a few NCBS's under your belt, you're spending more time in seeing old friends and **'ing then in shooting. An example is that I had a few pals sight for me on a couple events to get my sight settings, but then realized later on that I'd forgotten to actually shoot for score.

As my wife Donna mentioned once after leaving a prior NCBS, she was really glad that we didn't live closer to a couple of them then we did. She said she felt relieved that she wouldn't have had to hunt around the countryside to find me to come home for dinner.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    The winners and other scores were as follows:

100 yard score—winner Ward at 46–other Buck at 43-1x

100 yard group—winner Tim at 1.17”— other Buck at 1.66”, Don at 2.56”, Tom at 3.05” and Calvin at 5.55”

50 yard score—winner Bruce at 44-1x—others Tim at 48-1x, Don at 45-1x, Foss at 43, Cindy at 34 and Walt at 32

50 yard group—winner Walt at 1.03”—others John at 1.11”, Buck at 1.21”, Don at 1.92”, Foss at 1.93”, Alex at 3.13” and Calvin at 5.02”

25 yard score—winner Calvin at 17–others Tim at 47-2x, Walt at 42-2x, John at 41-1x, Alex at 35 and Don at 27

25 yard group—winner John at 1.13”

Companion guns score—winner Tom at 77-1x—others Buck at 91-1x, Tim at 90-1x, Alex 87-1x and Bruce at 81-2x

Practical—winner Don at 4/5

Long range—winner Buck at 4/5–other Tim at 3/5

Ladies 100 yard score—winner Holly at 40

Ladies 50 yard group—winner Cindy at 3.09”—other Holly at 4.98”

Thanks to all attendees for another great event! Also thanks to Quillbilly for the trophies he prepared for award.

A special thanks to Al Nelson of NOE for his generous package of prizes that were distributed to the shooters by drawing.

See you all next year!

Boolit Master

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	243995

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............I'm late in posting but I had a great time. The trip up from So. Cal was an adventure. Once into Nevada I turn off US 6 (East - West) onto NV360 (cutting the corner from US 6 to US 95 North) when the Right-rear tire blew. Being new to cell phones I got to do that "Hold it up and pivit around looking for a signal" routine. I had the tiniest little teeny weeny bar (of 5). It took 3 tries to finally get the Mineral Cnty Sheriff's Dept.

I won't go into the details of WHY I had to call for help............. Made it into Winnemucca 3 hours late but okay. After breakfast the next morning Ammohead and I got to deal with a brain dead 20 something at Wal-Mart, and instead went to Les Swab for an enjoyable experience in getting 2 new tires (one a new spare) .

The shoot was great, and per usual I didn't win anything, but I did get sight settings for a couple of the matches. I didn't win an individual match because I was having too much fun BSing with folks who all speak the same language. However I WAS on the winning team for the Team Pistol Match. We were superb and gave team 2 a real spanking. For the team rifle shoot we ALMOST won, but forgot to shoot at the TOP of the board to knock it over, so those skanks on on team 2 won . They may have won, but I can tell you that team 1 was the handsomest best looking, and without doubt the most intelligent group of ladies and gentlemen you'd ever run across. I actually thought we'd be able to sure world hunger before we had to leave for home.

There were the usual wonderous firearms out there being shot, and with the owners demanding that you handle AND shoot some you've only read about. The only problem with the entire thing is, after having a few NCBS's under your belt, you're spending more time in seeing old friends and **'ing then in shooting. An example is that I had a few pals sight for me on a couple events to get my sight settings, but then realized later on that I'd forgotten to actually shoot for score.

As my wife Donna mentioned once after leaving a prior NCBS, she was really glad that we didn't live closer to a couple of them then we did. She said she felt relieved that she wouldn't have had to hunt around the countryside to find me to come home for dinner.

...............Buckshot
    That sounds fun, next time get those danged skanks!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I am hoping next year the desert will be a bit drier. There is a hidden stream among quaking aspen groves just over the hill from town that I have on good authority contains trout that need to be inspected in the days before NCBS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast