Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: NRA 50/50 lube for less leading and higher velocity?

NRA 50/50 lube for less leading and higher velocity?

I have a revolver that leads and I've been thinking about this a while. I've read in older books that when Javalina / NRA 50/50 lube came out it allowed higher velocity and pressure without leading compared to previous lubes. And I've read that the "best" lube should be used with ammo that is pushing the limits, and conversely that just about anything will be sufficient lube for light target loads that fit the gun well.

I don't want to get into the whys as to my revolver problem, there is a thread on that if you want to help with it specifically.

But I am wondering if anyone has stopped or reduced leading simply by a lube change?

Also I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with full power rifle loads and was able to eliminate leading with a specific lube. I read about a guy that was able to push some 30-06 loads close to jacketed velocity using NRA 50/50 and kept groups inside 3" at 100 yards. His groups were smaller at a lower velocity, but he wanted similar recoil as his jacketed match ammo for cheaper practice. If anyone has specifics of this sort either of lube, loads, or bullets, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for looking,

Bazoo

50/50 has change over the years. Different Alox. I am still trying to find a good one. Some skimp on the amount of Alox. Not 50/50.

The correct bullet diameter helps reduce leading, along with the right alloy hardness for the job.

You will hear a lot about "Powder Coat" http://missouribullet.com/assets/sou...structions.pdf

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that about 50/50. I have some that is homemade but haven't tried it yet. I have been using white label BAC.

I know fit and alloy plays an important role in performance, I think lube plays the an equally, if not more important part however.

I know PC is an answer to leading, and I expect a lot of Answers to that effect.

For the record though, I'm not asking how to keep my gun from leading. I'm asking about everyone's experiences with different lubes that have reduced or eliminated leading and what their application was.

Moderator Emeritus

My experience has told me that a softer lube functions better than a harder lube. NRA 50/50 is a softer lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have definately causes leading with different lubes. I found i dont like buy things and I prefer to make as much myself as possible. I havent used the NRA all i need is the Alox 350 to make it myself. But i have used several home brew lubes and have leaded more than one gun on the first trigger pul. Some on the 50th trigger pull. I have settled on Bens Red and SL-68B.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Super Moderator

The 50/50 is a very good lube, but it's too soft for my liking especially in the warmer months. I have settled on White Label's 2500+ for my high velocity shooting. It's a stiffer version of the 50/50. 2500+ is a fantastic lube for use in rifles.

Leading the barrel is most often a result of undersized bullets. If you're getting lead in the barrel, near the muzzle rather than at the throat forward, then better lube would help. With a revolver, the size relationship between the cylinder and barrel is probably the cause, assuming the bullet is the right size after seating...

[QUOTE=Bazoo;4586879].

I know fit and alloy plays an important role in performance, I think lube plays the an equally, if not more important part however.

Fit is everything in cast bullets, that includes cylinder to bore fit and a "clean" (no restrictions or constrictions) in the bore. Alloy is second as to pressure and velocity. Lube is third especially in a handgun. You can purchase the best lube made and if the cast bullet doesn't fit (undersize for whatever reason and there are a few that can cause this) you will get leading. Coated bullets don't lead because they're like shooting jacketed. My opinion.

Banner Sponsor

Larry Gibson did a test of several different lubes for high velocity rifle loads. It's posted on the NOE forum here:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,554.0.html

I had some very good results with Carnauba Blue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cblue-3006xcb-02.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	237899
    The boolits were the 30XCB

Name:	cblue-30xcb-01.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	237901

The first shot flier was outside of the group by just a little bit.
    I tested Carnauba Blue up to around 2850fps and still had a clean shiny barrel afterwards.

2500+ did very well also, but it still had the first shot flier just outside of the group.

Name:	2500-309-01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	237900

The test rifle was a 30-06XCB built by Tim Malcomb of Malcomb Ballistic Tool.
    It is a M98 Mauser with a 14 twist Krieger barrel

Name:	30-06xcb.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	237902