Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Uberti Smokewagon 44-40

Boolit Master

Uberti Smokewagon 44-40

My Taylors Uberti 44-40 arrived today and man what a beautiful revolver.Slick as a whistle.Poured me some RCBS 429-200 cowboy bullets last night and hope to load with Unique and Starline brass.Im loving it!

Last edited by barnabus; 02-26-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the same gun in 45 Colt chambering. Does yours have the "Taylor Tuned" package? Without it, the Uberti SAA is a very good revolver; with it, the gun rises to a whole new level. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I have the same gun in 45 Colt chambering. Does yours have the "Taylor Tuned" package? Without it, the Uberti SAA is a very good revolver; with it, the gun rises to a whole new level. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Regards,
    Froggie
    no i didnt buy the Taylors Tuned model. I think its awesome as it is.

Congratulations! Nice looking revolver.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    That looks Great!

Many congrats, I never grow tired of looking at Uberti's and I'm even learning not gag when I see the new ones like yours that have the retracting firing pin (I have one too). Please let us know how it shoots. I like 8.5-9.0 grs. of Unique, Power Pistol or Herco in 44-40 my rifle.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I've also got the very same thing as you, but mine doesn't have the "T" on the grips. Purchased about 8 years ago, serial no. TC35xx. Beautiful revolver. I use 7.0 gr. of Unique and a 200 gr. CLRNFP.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've also got the very same thing as you, but mine doesn't have the "T" on the grips. Purchased about 8 years ago, serial no. TC35xx. Beautiful revolver. I use 7.0 gr. of Unique and a 200 gr. CLRNFP.
    what are you sizing ur cast bullets to?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Many congrats, I never grow tired of looking at Uberti's and I'm even learning not gag when I see the new ones like yours that have the retracting firing pin (I have one too). Please let us know how it shoots. I like 8.5-9.0 grs. of Unique, Power Pistol or Herco in 44-40 my rifle.

35W
    what are you sizing your bullets to for this round sir?

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    what are you sizing your bullets to for this round sir?
    .430"
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Nice! A great looking wheel gun and you are going to love it! Let us know how she shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    what are you sizing ur cast bullets to?
    .429" straight wheel weight metal.

Boolit Master
    That's a fine looking piece. Correct sizing depends on chamber throat diameters. Hopefully, the throats are just a .001 or so over groove diameter. Mine is happiest with boolits sized right at throat diameter. If I can push them in with my thumb, they're good. Sometimes, as with a certain Vaquero in my past, the throats were .425 and the groove diameter was .430 - not a happy combination. Never should have gotten out the door that way, but that's how they were dimensioned in the beginning. Hopefully a Taylor's specimen would be more carefully gone over.

Boolit Master
    If the chamber sizes, cylinder throat sizes and barrel diameter are all correct you will have a gem. I also had a couple of 44-40 Ruger Vaqueros. After giving up making them shoot, I bought a couple of 38-40 Uberties. All dimensions were correct and they shot accurately from the start. I wonder if I have bought 44-40 Uberties if I would not have had all the problems I had.

Boolit Grand Master

Harry, I've not had problems with mine. I'm shooting them with the Big Lube boolit and BP and sizing the boolits .430, just like my 44Mags.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!