MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sister needs a carry gun /suggestions?

When she had the lcp, she had a hot pink kydex holster and open carried a lot when she wore denim. It was fashionable.

Banned

a snubby lightweight 1lb j-frame hammerless 38spl revolver, spring kitted and gunsmithed for an easier trigger pull, with an initial good supply light recoil cartridges. revolvers are always ready to fire, will always fire, are safer that semi-autos, and a proper j-frame can be concealed most anywhere on a person. however, some will consider 5 rounds not enuf firepower, some would say otherwise. if at all possible, trying before buying is the way to go, but arguably difficult when a specially set up gun is in question.

or - make that a .22lr revolver or pistol instead. seriously. better than a stick and probably far more female friendly.
    Last edited by rfd; 02-28-2019 at 07:41 AM.

I have a friend that is an older lady, about 50. She carries sometimes. She had a Ruger LCR in 22 LR, but she traded it and got a Ruger 22 semi auto, I think it's an sr22. She traded the LCR because she couldn't pull the trigger without using 2 fingers. She's not weak, just a normal lady. Christina couldn't pull the trigger either. This lady carries if she's expecting trouble. She did carry all the time to start, till the new wore off.

Boolit Grand Master

My standard reply to I only carry if expecting trouble is If your expecting trouble is Don't Go There.

Banned
    I would rather carry a 32 ACP than a 380. The chances are that she wont need the power to kill but rather to scare. 32ACP makes A LOT of noise.
    Just my input.

Boolit Master
    I used to pick up pine cones for an old lady that kept a 25 acp in her bra.

Boolit Master

+1 on Country Gents post. I'm a firm believer that a 3-4" K frame size 38 should be in every womans try list. They love them J Frames but ya can get them to the range to shoot them cause they're too light. Try them a 64 +P or 65 4" with a slicked double action and do a tuck n bob later (round butt and 3") and maybe even a moon clip conversion.

We live in in a town that rarely sees real violence. But if you go to the city of Louisville it's a different story. Just going up to the dollar store you don't expect a problem. The fact that there was a double murder in town a few days ago(probably a gas station robbery gone bad) might have some influence on her. That's not the norm for our town of 30k people though, but it does happen.

Boolit Master

Guns and parachutes, you'll only need it once and not have it.

Boolit Master
    first thing to remember no one wants to get shot. so some times just looking at a gun will cause them to rethink their plans. a small caliber is easier to hit with. so have her try out a few guns and pick one she thinks she can handle.

then it is practice practice and more practice.

Banned

i firmly believe that for the most part just brandishing a firearm will be enuf to make anyone but a hopped up druggie take serious caution.

God made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

i like revolvers. they're always safe and always at the ready. they never jam. they can be fired through a pocket or pushed into an assailant without going out of battery. hammerless is clearly the way to go. the only caveat will be a hefty trigger pull, which is part of its safety feature, and the need to practice D/A 'til it becomes second nature.

if need be, if recoil or noise is an issue, even an LCR in .22lr loaded with stingers or mini-mags will put 8 rounds of hurtfulness into any perp.

Boolit Master
    These days simply showing a pistol is often not enough. Do not ever count on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    These days simply showing a pistol is often not enough. Do not ever count on it.
    depends primarily on location and situation. rural areas are different than urban cities. home burglaries are different than street gangs. just takes common sense, as always. some people will find the lowly .22lr the only firearm they can Effectively handle, which will be better than literally nothing.

Look into the Ruger LC 380 or 9mm. My wife has the 380 and loves it. She is petite and has not problem with the slide and there are a couple safety features that makes her feel better about it.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Ruger LCP II 380 ACP.

My wife has had my 2 1/2" M19 and M30 32 S&WL for 25+ years. As she got older her purse has lightened up (go figure) and down here she has been snitching my AMT Backup 380 instead of the 2 revolvers. I recently got here a plain black Ruger LCP II in 380 ACP. It has a very good trigger, she can rack the slide easier than on the AMT because it doesn't have the heavy spring needed in a blow back operated pistol, it is the same size as the AMT but slightly slimmer and weighs less and most of all it fits very unobtrusively in the smaller purse she now carries.......she loves it.

Might have your sister take a look at the Ruger.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My wife's choice is a LC9S . It has a good trigger and the slide racks easily. She put about 500 rounds through it in the first 6 weeks. The first mag. full was a 2" group at 7 yards. She has a 2-1/2" diamondback 38spl. and a Colt Gmt. 380 but wanted something lighter. At 75 She is one "little old lady" you don't want to mess with. She says it's like American Express don't leave home without it.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Bazoo,
    A lot of people on this forum would take exception to referring to someone "fifty-ish" as older.

True, true.She's older than me, I'm only 35. I just asked the wife and the lady in question is 54. I didn't mean anything by it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If I could get her to carry it ON her person if possible and it goes bang and works and she can run it and hit with it frankly that would be a win. I don’t care if 22 32 or what the heck it is if I can get her to wear it.

I am not batting well on that point right now. With my man filters on I just can’t see why a woman can’t carry something like a small 380 on her person, but admittedly I am not anywhere near five two and 110 pounds. Women do dress like they don’t want to wear a gun.

Bazoo, actually your wife has a good point for not carrying when she is with you. I have a lot of single ladies with purses in my life that I try to educate.

I think of that Iowa girl.....if she had anything on her person, even a Beretta 22 Short autoloader, she would still be here. In that case a purse gun would have been an improvement but joggers don’t carry purses.

Just not thrilled with purse carry.

Anyone have a tale of how they got a woman to carry on body?
    I would give up trying. Quit thinking you are right (you are though), just imagine if I constantly told your way of carrying was dangerous.

Everyone is in a different stage of gun comfortability, you can’t force experience on a novice.

To be clear I 100% agree with your goal, but give you a 0% chance of success.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am doing better than zero percent, but the tendency for women to wear pants made of gauze is a problem. Their waistbands have problems with even light small guns and if the girl is curvy or fit the clothing they wear accentuates the body. Mentally women just aren’t ready to forgo fashion to be sensibly armed in a way that precludes losing the gun in an assault.

The gun is an afterthought, of secondary importance to their appearance. So the gun is relegated to a secondary role in a more inaccessible loss prone location. The purse.

Guys don’t give a rat’s patoot about fashion. They wanna be armed. And it just so happens the comfortable low fashion way they dress is more consonant with carrying a pistol on body.

The female sure is different. If they weren’t we wouldn’t be interested in that way, but in truth their own expressed preferences means anti empowerment in a way. It is ironic that women speak of empowerment but often decline when it is offered to them....like carrying a gun or voting for the right to bear arms.

The 2nd amendment should be the biggest women’s empowerment liberty on the planet, but most don’t see it that way. It is a shame because it is real empowerment, not fake empowerment like putting a Wonder Woman sticker on your car window.
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-01-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast