MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: New Airgun

Boolit Master

New Airgun

Ordered a Weihrauch HW30 today along with some Diablo's. It's in .177 and supposed to be easier to cock than my Crosman Nitro Venom. Now the wait. BTW, Harrypope was a tremendous help in getting me to this point.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I bought a swiss air 22 cal just to play with not the quality of yours but i have had a blast with it. Have to be careful where i shoot all air guns are considered firearms. Even the old daisy air rifles.

Boolit Master
    The lower powered airguns are more of a pleasure to shoot. The high cocking effort and harshness of the hi powered springers, are fatiguing for long shooting sessions. The .177 is a good caliber choice also, for the lower powered airguns. A much flatter trajectory than the .22's. The HW 30, in .177 is a great choice, low cocking effort, with superb accuracy. I love HW airguns, as I have several. The solidness and quality is there.

Boolit Master

Now I'm really anxious for it to arrive. Thanks for all the comments.

Sparky: You'll remember this time in 25 years when you still are shooting your new HW30 adn enjoying every minute of it.

Goto Pyramid Air and get an assortment of pellets to try, and see what it likes best. Buy good ones as pellets are cheap.

My two HW 35's like H&N Match and JSB's best. Virtually identical performance. Both are excellent pellets. H&N's are more for target shooting as they are flat point wadcutters. The JSB's are round nosed and better for hunting.

Take care of that gun like you would any decent firearm and it will last you a life time and probably your kids lifetimes as well.

You done good. And keep us posted with your exploits into Airgun shooting.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Thanks Randy; this HW30 is actually my fourth Air Rifle and my 3rd in .177 cal. I enjoy shooting them, it's just that my Arthritis got the best of my Shoulders and Elbows. Had total reconstructive surgery on my Left Shoulder a couple of years ago and she's still a bit tender at times; AND cocking my other springers got to be really painful on my Elbow. The Hw30 is supposed to require about half the effort to cock as the Crosman Nitro Venom I have in .22 cal.
    Really looking forward to this rifle and putting it through it's paces. I have three different pellets at present to try; Crosman Destroyer; JSB Extra Express; and RWS Basic Wadcutter.

Boolit Buddy
    Do a tune or have one done if it's to much to tackle.
    A tuned HW is a large step above stock - even if it's just a lube tune.
    Just a dull thud.

Boolit Master
    sparky45, If you get the chance, try the JSB Express pellets in your HW30. They weigh 7.33 grains, and the lesser weight will make your 30 shoot flatter than the heavier pellets do. Well suited for low and mid powered airguns. They are a match quality RN pellet. I discovered them for my HW35, and am hooked on them. They are worth the small extra cost.

Boolit Buddy
    We bought an HW 30S for our grandsons birthday a couple of years ago. It's and excellent rifle, very accurate with a match quality trigger. At various times he's shot it with the very good adjustable open sights, with a scope and currently with dioptre sights for match shooting. Although he's now getting on for 6' tall and it's a little short in the stock he still manages to shoot it very well. Take the time to try different good quality pellets and they will go through the same hole at 25 yards.

Boolit Master

Got it!! What a beauty, quality look and feel. Oddly enough the 7.5gr Crosman Destroyer so far shoots the most accurate. I have a Scope on the way and a Red Dot to try if that doesn't work out.

my hw30 shoots the jsb 7.33 best but the cheap crosman premier 7.9g HP tins from.Wal-Mart shoot decent for a cheap readily available pellet.
    shown are four 5 shot groups with the JSB 7.33g at 24 yards

Attachment 237892
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

Good stuff Harry; when I get my Weaver scope I plan on posting a target review of what shoots best in my HW30 for comparison.