Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Bought a gently used Marlin 1895 today, and love it!

Boolit Master

Bought a gently used Marlin 1895 today, and love it!

I have seen all the posts about Remlins, seen a couple of them in person, and they were hideous. Marlin seems to have gotten its act together the last year or so, from guns I have handled in person, and shot and zeroed several of them. A guy came by today, with a 1895 45/70 that he had just bought last week, new. He was wanting to get rid of it, said it kicked the snot out of him. I offered to let him try some 350 gr cast that I load with Unique, since it had a slim recoil pad that did nothing to help the kick. He said he was sick of it, what did I have to trade on. I offered him a GP 100, 6" Stainless that I had gotten off a local online auction, for $350 a few days after Christmas when no one had any mad money floating around. He eagerly traded with me, even up, and left me with half a box of Garret 405 gr hardened loads that are hot! I saw why he traded the gun after firing 2 of them offhand, killed on both ends. I went thru my vast array of loaded rounds and tried some Hornady 325 Flex tips, and some 350 HPs I cast the Gould mold I think, along with a proven load using Sierra 300gr HP's. Using the iron sights benchrested, I shot a few shots at 50, to zero the sights and after moving the elevator up 2 notches, we were spot on. Surprisingly they all shot between 3" and 3.5" groups at 100 yds. The rifle cycled effortlessly, ejected well and kick was not too bad. After wiping it down with oil, I gave the rifle a close once over and could only find 2 flaws with it. The first one was a very slight gap a the rear of the tang, which I can easily fix with some acraglass. The other was the Polishing, if you could call it that, on the flats of both sides of the receivers, looked like it had been polished with a 300 grit sanding belt, then hot blued. Having blued hundreds of guns over the past 35 years as a gunsmith, I don't like that at all, and may end up hot bluing it at some later time after polishing down with 240-500 grit compunds. The wood was very nice and the fore end had quite a bit of figure to it. All in all I am a happy camper with the quality of the rifle, just thought I would share.

I bought an 1895 about 2 years ago when the local WM was clearancing a bunch of their guns, picked it up brand new for $295. I thought I would flip it but people wanted to low ball me on the price so I decided to keep it and shoot it. I love that rifle, It is a hoot. I'm shooting PC'd 350 Mihec HP's over H4895 (pretty close to max) and while I know I'm shooting a thumper, it's not that bad. It's one of my favorite rifles.

Cool.

It's always good to hear about someone getting something they want.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I am fortunate enough to have some disposable income in my retirement years, and have accumulated a lot of guns over the past 35+ years, often for pennies on the dollar, from folks needing money right now, or buying guns which were inoperable, and fixing them up and keeping them or trading for other ones. I make my hobbies be self supporting, so that works out alright with the wife. The last year and a half, I have traded for several 45/70's, most single shots, of above average quality to keep me company until I become infirm or die one. In the mean time I try my best, to shoot one or more guns every day, and often they are the 45/70's.

Boolit Master
    You know I would have thought more folks would be happy to hear how the new Remlins have finally gotten the bugs worked out, and are producing top notch products again. If this had been a rant about how bad they were these days, this would have had 6 pages full of replies!

Boolit Grand Master
    Once Remington ruined the rep for Marlin, they created a whole class of folks no longer interested in them. For good or ill, and I don't blame 'em. It's almost like being betrayed. Corporate bean counters strike again.

As far as those 405 gr. Garrett rounds go, you are right. They are evil!

I had an 1895 Marlin many years ago, swapped it and a Navy Arms .45-70 rolling block for a Ruger #1V in .25-06. Killed a bunch of deer with it. All were nice rifles.

You are supposed to have a slight gap at the rear or end of the tang. If you don't, you'll likely split the stock under recoil. As a 35 year gunsmith, you should know that.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have owned several 1895s. All older JM guns with straight stock and round barrels. The first was sold when times were tough and the second traded so I could afford a Browning single shot. Missed that levergun so I bought another as a retirement gift to myself about 5 years ago. A couple of months ago, one of the local shops had another older 1895, in great shape. I was weak. It sat unloved in the shop for a month while newer 1895s (the plywood stocked versions) sold for hundreds of dollars more. Finally a deal was struck and home it came. I have compared the action on my older guns and the newest of the new Marlins and I have to say that the new guns are every bit as smooth. Both of my guns have nicer walnut than the new walnut stocked versions and mine don't have the newer crossbolt safety but if I didn't already own 3 45-70s I would look at a new one. The one I have had for 5 years shoots cast as well as it shoots factory loads. I have no reason to believe that the one I just picked up won't do the same. Glad koger likes his new unit!

Boolit Master
    Garret, Buffalo bore, etc. all kick like Missouri mules in an 1895, even mine with its Pachmayer decelerator pad. I can shoot many rounds of a "factory equivalent" load from my old Lyman manual. It's a 405gr cast bullet over 38.5gr IMR 3031. Max powder charge is around 50 gr. No thanks for pleasure shooting.

Boolit Master
    Babore, having any gap at the tang, lets the metal move and that is what causes cracks!

Boolit Buddy

Nice trade! I have never had a Remlin, but wouldn't be afraid to buy one, as any problems should be able to be straightened out.
    I have a pre remington 1895, I have killed a pile of deer with it, using mild cast bullets. They are polite to shoot and kill GA deer just fine.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    You know I would have thought more folks would be happy to hear how the new Remlins have finally gotten the bugs worked out, and are producing top notch products again. If this had been a rant about how bad they were these days, this would have had 6 pages full of replies!
    Remlin did earn much of their reputation, I hope they continue to turn it around. That said, Winchester turned out some really awful 94's in the last few decades of the New Haven plant and no one ever wants to criticize them. Some even go so far as to make excuses.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Remlin did earn much of their reputation, I hope they continue to turn it around. That said, Winchester turned out some really awful 94's in the last few decades of the New Haven plant and no one ever wants to criticize them. Some even go so far as to make excuses.
    I remember back when Winchester cheapened their products. Especially the "pre 64" craze. It was no different really than what you see with Marlin.
    The 94 not only took a beating, but so did the model 70 and the model 12 was dropped totally. Winchester pumps never did come back. I used to buy more shotguns than anything and did not even look at a Winchester 1200. Might take a while for Marlin to recover. It was ridiculous as todays manufacturing abilities are far ahead of what many of the old plants were capable of. At this time I would buy a new Marlin, but really have no need of one.

I traded off a Marlin CB in 45-70 due to its recoil I traded for a Marlin CB in 38-55 and never looked back. Looking at the # of old beaters sent in to JES I wonder if the old CB would go over? I love the one I have. I still have a 45-70, but in a heavy single shot.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 of the JM Marlins, an early production guide gun with the porting, and a SS that is a few years older. A friend has a cowboy model from the last few years before the Remlins. Both of mine are noticeably better fit and finished. After seeing/handling some early Remlins I've not been tempted by a Remlin since, they MAY have improved, but I'd much rather get an old JM anytime. Simpson LTD has a couple of 30-30 Marlins for < $500 each. Those do tempt me, buy both, keep one as is then send the other off to JES to convert to 38-55 for a pair of cast shooters that are smaller than my 45-70s.

Boolit Master
    Bought a slb last may only thing I had to do was deburr the receiver at the loading gate as it bit me .feeds slickly has a reasonable trigger wood fit and finish overall is good .put a Nikon 2-7-32 shotgun scope on it shots well if I do my bit .

Boolit Master
    I got a new Remlin 1895 SBL last summer,got it to see how bad they really are. Low price because nobody wants them. I've had a couple of JM:s,outshot the second one which developed "the jam".

SBL is a nice design, kicks less than my previous ones, shoots good,works normally. A keeper for me - I did touch the knife edge thing to prevent a future jam with my idiot loads. Which don't feel as punishing with the SBL.

I have a 90’s produced 1895 in the sporter configuration. Love it as well. Shooting a 350 grain cast bullet at about 1300 FPS with unique. Cheap, fun, accurate and my shoulder thanks me.

I've got a relatively new one. Right around 1 - 1 1/2 years. I love it. It shoots great, but finish could be better.
    I put skinner sights on it and it is very accurate. This gun has NEVER had a j-word bullet run through it...
    I have a load I like that will push a 405 grain hp PC GC boolit at 1825 fps +/- 10 fps consistently. It's such a cool and devastating round. I think it's reasonable to shoot. But others disagree.
    Here's my buddy shooting one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0IE8aUUuNo
    WWG1WGA