WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: TC 54 black mountain magnum?

Boolit Master

TC 54 black mountain magnum?

Anyone have any experience with one? The local gunshop has a "used" TC on the rack for a pretty reasonable price. Tag says used but doesnt look used much if at all.

I don't need it but don't not need it either.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 02-26-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I have one in 50 cal. The black mountain magnum side lock was designed to shoot pellets. I use loose powder with mine. My first hunting trip it was rainy/snow mix blowing day, I didn't protect the nipple as well as I should, but when it was needed fired off without a problem. My buddy told me IF I ever wanted to sell it he wanted first shot. Shoots a nice group with pyrodex. Would recommend buying.

From the reports that I've read, the .54 cal. has a 1 in 38" twist while the .50 has a 1 in 28" twist.
    They're basically made for shooting bore size conicals or sabots.
    They came with either wood or composite stocks, and with both a musket and #11 nipple, and some had the QLA muzzle.
    They're able to be loaded with up to 150 grains of powder [probably only in pellet form].
    But everyone reports shooting them using loose powder and obtaining good accuracy.
    There could be some felt recoil if shooting the heavier bullet weights like 400 -500 - 600 grains.
    I'd keep the bullets weights reasonable unless you really need the extra power.
    But at least it has a rubber butt pad.

Boolit Master
    This one is wood stocked. I found a digital copy of the owners manual and they show 150gr of loose FFG with 435gr maxi hunter which sounds painful. I might go have a better look at it. I'd like to have a TC big bore 58 caliber but I don't want to pay what they are going for now.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance

I got one when they first came out in .50. Tried using pellets as it was promoted to use, never could get that thing to ever fire 2 times in a row. I finally went back to 3F and never had a problem again. The other problem I had with it is the fragile front sight plastic day glo rod, it seemed to break by just looking at it. I used magnum caps with the pellets and it made no difference, I went back to standard caps once I switched to loose powder. A nice rifle - but finicky.Robert

Boolit Master
    Doug you cant go wrong with this gun, drop a light down the bore to see if it is ok. If the barrel is good and a price is under $250, go for it. I hunted with one for several years here in KY, and used the musket caps because that was the nipple on it when I got it. Never had a misfire, I used 110 grains of 2ff g, black powder, and took deer cleanly with it out to 200 yds. Now to do that you had to know your bullet drop. I hunted with a 450 grn Lyman plains slug, made for ML's and it would cloverleaf at 100 yds. I did glass bed the barrel the whole length, and had a Redfield 2x7 in TC steel mounts. I worked the load up over a spring, tried Pyrodex, pellets, the whole nine yards, but nothing shot as good as black powder. I also used a vegetable fiber wad on top of the powder, to protect the base of the slug, minor differences in accuracy, but enough I used them. I had very few deer take over a step or two when hit in the shoulder with this big slug, usually took them off their feet.

Boolit Master
    Dropped a lighted arrow nock down the barrel, it was a bit dusty but didn't look bad. Price was right at $200 out the door so I brought it home and cleaned it up.

I don't have a 54 mold yet but picked up a box of Hornady great plains 425gr bullets. It doesn't have the musket cap nipple on it and didn't come with one so I just used the #11 caps.

I just shot it at 35 yards off hand with 110gr of RS, the Hornady conical, and some random caps I have......it looks like it wants to shoot.....I was having a bit of a hangfire but the caps I have are probably older than I am.

4 shot group before I messed with the sights looks promising. I'll probably order a musket cap nipple just to try it.

Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    I have a 54 maxi mouldworks well. I like 50 cal hornady bullet in sabot also shoot good in my 1x48 twist lyman deerstalker.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

In this video, Dustin Winegar reviews the 300 grain .54 Lee REAL bullet:--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25tG...Oo&app=desktop

His video description lists where you can buy some (and maybe other bullets too):--->>> Backwoods Lead Works email: oldgravelys@icloud.com

Lee makes the .54 REAL molds in 300 grain and 380 grain sizes if you want to cast them yourself.--->>> https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...t-combo-molds/

Also, Buffalo Bullets moved to Nevada and used to make a lot of .54 conicals including .54 Ball-ets.
    Not sure if they have resumed production yet.
    They can be contacted through their webpage to find out what may be available either now or in the future:--->>> https://buffalobulletindustries.com

Sometimes Pyrodex P [pistol powder] provides better ignition than the RS but the P loads should be reduced by 10% volume.

Many folks complain about the newer CCI musket caps not being as powerful as the old ones and only being made for re-enactment.
    RWS probably makes the best musket caps.

That's a very nice rifle that you bought for a very good price.
    Last edited by arcticap; 03-05-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you get tired of it, contact me. I'm sure we can reach an agreement. In the mean time, enjoy it.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD