MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: WIN lever takedown conversion

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

WIN lever takedown conversion

I have been contemplating doing a takedown conversion on a WIN lever gun which is so far gone, condition wise, that I am in no way affecting the value by doing this conversion. The poor condition is strictly cosmetic and I have been able to clean it up quite nicely but there are still some places that will never totally clean up. I recently acquired a copy of "1982 NRA gunsmithing guide" in which it describes a method for doing the conversion. I have a few questions regarding this particular method.

1. Has anyone here done this specific conversion, or know FIRST HAND of someone that has? If so, are you/they satisfied with the outcome?
    2. I have a bit of a concern about the takedown release system. I'm wondering if the recoil would have a tendency to loosen it up a bit. What do you think?
    3. If you don't think this conversion is a good method, do you have information of an alternate method, and why do you think this system is not acceptable to you?

I don't have any problem with doing the full thread thing. I have no desire to make this any more complicated than necessary so the full 9 turns to unscrew the barrel is not an issue whatsoever versus doing the interrupted thread modification.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I own two factory take downs. I wish they were full thread instead of interrupted. As far as tightness with use, can't really say. I doubt there is 1k through one and 20 through the other.

Not a Winchester, but I would contact Mr. Bertilotto and pick his brain.
    http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/ros...onversion.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Not a Winchester, but I would contact Mr. Bertilotto and pick his brain.
    http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/ros...onversion.html
    Thanks for the link. That is the conversion to which I was referring. It's almost word for word.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure which method you are contemplating, but some time ago, in a NRA publication, (shop manual type book) they described a method of moving the mag tube out to unleash the barrel to turn and the fore end separated from the receiver. Looked clean as could be. Involved a flat metal plate (kind of thin as I recall -- maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch") spacer that lined up the tube & barrel. Barrel threads were cut for an interrupted thread design and when the mag tube was replaced, it locked the unit in place. I'd dig through any NRA resources you may have or even call the NRA for some direction.

Edit: I should have look at the above listed site. That's the article I was talking about. Good luck. I'd love to have one of those.
    Last edited by 725; 02-26-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Master

I have done a few, making the frame extension just like the originals is a bit of a pain. I will not interrupt threads on a frame but will do the barrel if the frame has already been done.

roysha,
    For a while, when I was actively engaged in "business" I converted several lever actions to "takedown" and offered parts for sale to do the conversion easier. I started with the information in the NRA guide, but because I had CNC equipment I did it a little different. Here is a link to a post I made back then. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=takedown Unfortunately the link to my website know longer works.

I still have a Marlin 94 in .45 Colt that I converted back then. It is quite possible that I have fired more rounds through it than any firearm I have owned. There are a few tricks to getting it put together correctly but nothing that can't be done in the home workshop. I sold many of the conversion kits for Marlin 94s and 336s and Winchester 94s and 92s. I offered a full refund if not satisfied but never had anybody ask for it.?? I think the system is durable and worth the effort.

If you have any questions, fill free to PM me, email at oldvic38 at yahoo.com. If you want still more I can give you my phone #.

Give it a try. I think you'll like it.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Doughty:

Thank you for your offer of assistance. I'm going to move forward with this project and if I get in a lash up, I will indeed seek your advice.