WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Good Day World

Boolit Buddy

Good Day World

Good Day World

I think this is the first time posting on the castboolits forum. I go by the name chuck40219. I have been a shooter for around 60 years. My farther placed a gun in my hands at 4, he told me. Been shooting ever since. I will be most active in the Black Powder Cartridge forum. Next active will be Muzzleloader forum. Will stop by other forums as needed.

Tomorrow when I can get my thoughts together better I will post about my new toy. Looking forward to the new adventures with it.

Chuck40219

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the forum Chuck. enjoy

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing your adventures!
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum chuck40219, I think you come to the right place. Wonderful people with a world of knowledge on boolits or anything else you can think of. Just ask and I’m sure you will get a good bunch of experienced knowledge layered on you. Hossfly

Welcome Chuck.
    Yup the younger when you start inhaling the smoke the harder it is getting it out of the system
    Be waiting to see and hear what that new toy is.........Kurt

Banned

howdy chuck! take yer boots off and set a spell, tell us what yer shootin'!

Boolit Master
    Welcome to CB.Gl Forum!

Lots of Great & knowledgeable folks here! I reckon you will fit right in!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well howdy and how ya doing . Welcome to the board.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for not making that post I l promissed. A friend called earlier today and invited me out to his house. I have not been able to shoot for a few months due to surgery on my right hand. So yesterday my doctor finely gives permission to make a little noise. I grab one of my 38's and head out. Stayed out the whole day. I promise tomorrow I will get you some info. Looking forward joining the group's here.

Chuck40219

Boolit Buddy
    Good Afternoon Everyone

A little more info on myself and my new toy. I have gone through many forms of shooting over my life. At this time I am going through the long range (300 or less yards for me, very poor eyesight) large caliber black powder game. Because of my age this may be the last serious game I play. A friend and I shoot a lot of cowboy action, he’s very involved in it. I shoot it for the fun of it.

So my new toy is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle. I acquired it early last year. Uberti calls it a Special Sporting Rifle. That model no longer show on their web site so I assume it is no longer made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uberti_1885_special__02875.1504791218.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	237010

I have shot it 100 or so times and plan on a lot more this summer. (had hand surgery last year). Not been able to do any load development or try different lubes or bullets. Have shot it 10 times with smokeless, the rest with black 2f. Will be keeping all updated as events happens and looking for feed back.

Boolit Man
    I also used to shoot the Uberti 45-70.

It has a 20" twist barrel so it doesn't handle the over 500gr heavy weights at all.

My rifle liked the Saeco 480 gr. bullet, all the way to 1000yds. Cast 20:1 and shot as it came from the mold .459. Bullet seated just off the rifling.

Home made lube 54% BW: 23% sheep lard: 23% anhydrous lanolin.

60gr by weight Old Eynsford 2FG and a .030 veggie wad

Federal large rifle primer

Boolit Buddy
    I was not aware of the twist rate nor did I know what that I should have 18 twist or faster twist for the heaver bullets. The 405 gr bullets pack a heavy enough recoil for me. I have found how I shoot the gun that the recoil can be tamed. Do not shoot it as I did my benchrest 22, I found out.

It is mine and I will work around it. I normally do not shoot in competitions against other shooters so working on the best I can do is not dependent on how many others I score above.

Just using the Geox 2f I have here 70 gr. by weight, with a .060 veggie wad. I have CCI LR Primers. Just trying to get to know the ole girl.

I did replace the front sight with a Lyman 17A globe sight. The rear sight is now a Lee Shaver Economy Mid Range Soule. Having shot my Winchester 52 D extensively with Redfield Olympic sights I felt more comfortable with a aperture type of sight.

Started having a hankering for this type of gun after shooting my shooting buds 43 Spanish.

More to come at a latter date.

chuck40219

Welcome to the forum, Chuck. Nice looking rifle.

Boolit Man
    I use this recoil pad to temper the recoil, it's super soft and squishy (a technical term )
    You've an excellent set of sights too.

this is the Saeco bullet it shot so well, 1 MOA at 200yds.:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ain-semi-point

I presume you are a caster. How long have you been casting? Do you ladle or bottom pour?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Houck View Post
    I use this recoil pad to temper the recoil, it's super soft and squishy (a technical term )
    You've an excellent set of sights too.

I had a go with a recoil pad early on but when I got more upright with the gun recoil stopped being so harsh.

this is the Saeco bullet it shot so well, 1 MOA at 200yds.:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ain-semi-point

Have to look into that bullitt, right now have a bunch of precast got from a fella down the road. Think I ended up with 3 boxes of 200 each. This year will be the testing of bullitts, lubes, & powder. Will try setting the bullitts from specs. length, to touching the rifling. Hope you all don't get bored with my post and pictures.

I presume you are a caster. How long have you been casting?

Yep, bout 35-40 years. RB, mini ball, and pistol bullitts in: 38/357, 41 mag, and 44 mag/special.

Do you ladle or bottom pour?
    Both

chuck40219