Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee upside down sizing press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kpj313 View Post
    I took the idea from someone here and just use a spring. Just as fast and no messing around with an upside down press.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The advantage to the upside down press is batch management. They drop out the bottom into a vinyl tube (or a chute, or whatever you finagle) into a bucket, and you don't have to periodically empty the lee canister or whatever. You can do 1000's of bullets in a shot.

OP, check out the LEE classic cast formounting upside down. It has a large throw, good leverage, low price, and is ideal for bullet sizing. Much more IMO than a hand press which I would worry about breaking (maybe an unfounded worry, but the classic cast will not break)

Boolit Master
    I think a Lee Bulge Buster die might work pretty well upside down. Something I may try at some point.

Sizing for many of us has gone through a metamorphosis...searching for the easy way to get the monotonous sizing chore done quickly. Here's the rest of the story...

‘SIZING CAST PROJECTILES’ . . . From Lube-Sizing to Lee push through to an Upside Down Press . . . “What?”
    https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018...wn-press-what/

Is 'upside down' sizing really worth the effort to build a press for it and is it really faster?

MONOTONOUS DUTY _ WANNA RACE?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvhKHVn7gU

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

With lee sizing dies, I can do way faster with my press upside down. With small 22 caliber, I can usually drop two into the press and easily push through. (all powder coated and not much over sized)
    with my 9mm and 38/357, it is way easier to drop into the die rather than to hold it on. Whether it is worth it to do more, it is up to you.... Mine cost me a piece of scrap plywood and 3 extra nuts and bolts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    The advantage to the upside down press is batch management. They drop out the bottom into a vinyl tube (or a chute, or whatever you finagle) into a bucket, and you don't have to periodically empty the lee canister or whatever. You can do 1000's of bullets in a shot.

OP, check out the LEE classic cast formounting upside down. It has a large throw, good leverage, low price, and is ideal for bullet sizing. Much more IMO than a hand press which I would worry about breaking (maybe an unfounded worry, but the classic cast will not break)
    I have added a vinyl tube, arched back down to the bench, to an up-right/not upside down press and the bullet column from the die pushes sized bullets over the arc in the tube and into a bucket too.
    So no emptying the red canister
    And as mentioned before, I use long tubes to feed bullets into bullet feeder dies, so I can put those tubes on top of the sizing die for filling, an operation than can then be skipped

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Sizing on the downstroke is what I think would be easiest as far as mechanical advantage, but placing the boolit on the ram, even with the spring hack, is for me much slower than dropping it directly into the die with the upside down setup.

Since I need to size thousands of boolits to feed my shooting habit, I look forward to buying (very mechanically inept, here) a feed down, size on the downstroke set up.

Boolit Bub
    Having two Lee hand presses mounted upside down I would never think yo go right side up. Drop a bullet in, press, falls down, repeat. Super fast and easy!! I only wish rcbs sold the green press pictured above still. Perfect for this task

Boolit Master
    Lee is working away at an upside down shotshell reloader, it will be the first in the industry, it takes better advantage of gravity when spilling shot and powder on the floor. It is rumored to work on the same principle as their classic "Lee Zip Trim", pull the string and it all empties onto the floor. Early attempts to base it on the Lee Drip-o-matic failed due the shot emptying on the floor too slowly.

Banned

I have one I made a mount for on my bench for sizing bullets. It has a clear rubber hose that fits over the top of the sizing die and dumps into a coffee can under the bench. Works much better then a conventional press and one of those red plastic lee containers on top. Much faster because your just dropping the bullet into the die vs trying to line it up on that punch to push up. Wish I was as talented as some here and had a bullet feeder for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer0419 View Post
    I have. I am working on mounting a Lee handheld which I feel will work upside down better. I read Lee was possibly making a specific inverted sizing press, reason I asked. I don't reload ammunition. I only cast lead for my high powered Airguns and size for a more uniform pellet. Something heavy duty is unnecessary for me. Plus I was hoping to find one that was intended to be operated in that position

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12