Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 311359 HP, one of my more unusual moulds!

Boolit Master

311359 HP, one of my more unusual moulds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311359HP1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	236794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311359HP2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	236791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311359HP3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	236790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311359-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	236793

Not sure of the age of this one, I have had it for at least 20 years. When I had a TC Contender barrel, I used this on stray varmints and once in a while a rabbit or squirrel.

I have the same in a 2 cavity Lyman block. I have been shooting a few of those in the AR, not sure that I like it yet. We have been so cold and wet this winter, I have not gotten to put any on paper, only a few over the chronograph so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, that mould was initially designed for the M-1 Carbine and took a Standard copper gas check. I looked at it as a possible single shot rifle bullet (32 H&R conversion Winchester low wall) but being one of several I looked at, it didn’t stand out immediately so got tossed aside. It might be interesting in a 32 H&R or 327 FM revolver if the cylinder were long enough to accept it.

I wonder where I stashed mine??

Froggie

PS I don’t recall ever seeing the hollow point version. Is there a special marking on the blocks to indicate whether that is factory? Usually I see HP versions of a moulds getting a different number.
    "It aint easy being green!"

I'm guessing that it's a one of...

From... http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_...ml#311_30_mold

311359 A gas-check bullet which is fine for small game shooting in .32-20 rifles, when the cartridge is used single loading, not through the magazine. High velocity but a sharp point which does not mangle or tear small game. Same powder charge as for 311316. Can also be used in all .30 caliber rifles. (GC, SP 115 - TP is 467)

"The 311359 bullet is a super round in the 7.62x39 especially in the Ruger mini 30. There may be a few 3rd world SKS and AK47 rifles that have too large a bore to utilize it without Beagling. Powder coating it might make up the difference. It does feed extremely well in semi autos and is the ideal weight for that application. Rockydog"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    IIRC, that mould was initially designed for the M-1 Carbine and took a Standard copper gas check. I looked at it as a possible single shot rifle bullet (32 H&R conversion Winchester low wall) but being one of several I looked at, it didn’t stand out immediately so got tossed aside. It might be interesting in a 32 H&R or 327 FM revolver if the cylinder were long enough to accept it.

I wonder where I stashed mine??

Froggie

PS I don’t recall ever seeing the hollow point version. Is there a special marking on the blocks to indicate whether that is factory? Usually I see HP versions of a moulds getting a different number.
    The hollow point is factory, notice the end of the box? It is a fairly rare option in this bullet. All of my Lyman hollow points are the normal mould number with markings on the box, or at least they had the mark 20+ years ago. This is the only one I have left with the box after several moves and such.

It feeds well in the AR. My alloy and casting temp results in a bullet that cleans up well at .3115. I also have the same mould in a 2C that is not so generous, it cleans up fully at .3095 but is more than usable at .310 and if PC'ed .311 to .3115. I run a 94/3/3 alloy at about 715F, I am sure I could change to maybe 2%+COWW and get the diameter up some as well.

Boolit Master
    At one time all solid base Idea and Lyman molds could be ordered as hollow points.The only marking indicating a hollow pint mold was on the box.

Boolit Master

I've owned several of those over the years. Works great in the .30 Carbine when you work out all the seating depth kinks. Due to the velocity and the cavity size, the bullet tends to expand in what ever you hit and the nose blows off leaving a .30 "button" with gas check. Not a real bad thing on yotes and foxes./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I believe the 311359 predates the M1 carbine, and was originally designed for the 32-20, although I don't have my reference material in front of me.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    NZ, I hate to disagree, but I've never seen or heard of any real early examples (integral handles) of 311359 moulds... also, since so many of the 32-20s were tube fed lever guns from Winchester and Marlin, a pointed bullet would have been a bad idea. I really think they were for the 30 Carbine, but I would be willing to look at evidence to the contrary. I will say that I bought mine to use in the 32-20, but it was for a low wall (a single shot) so the stacking problem wasn't a consideration. Now I'm starting to wonder whether I should dig mine out of the flotsam and jetsam in the shop and try it for 32 H&R of 327 FM hunting loads. Like I really needed another project!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    NZ, I hate to disagree, but I've never seen or heard of any real early examples (integral handles) of 311359 moulds... also, since so many of the 32-20s were tube fed lever guns from Winchester and Marlin, a pointed bullet would have been a bad idea. I really think they were for the 30 Carbine, but I would be willing to look at evidence to the contrary. I will say that I bought mine to use in the 32-20, but it was for a low wall (a single shot) so the stacking problem wasn't a consideration. Now I'm starting to wonder whether I should dig mine out of the flotsam and jetsam in the shop and try it for 32 H&R of 327 FM hunting loads. Like I really needed another project!

Froggie
    I bet that would be a fine hunting boolit in 327 federal.

Boolit Master
    I think the 311359 first came out as a gallery bullet for the .30-40 krag and the .30-06 but it sure is sweet in others like the .30-30 and .32-20. Single loaded of course. My savage 219 and stevens 44 love'm. As for a hunting bullet they will definitely poke a hole in a woodchuck.

Boolit Master
    I had a Ideal 311359 HP. Unfortunately I sold it several years ago to another member here.When I got my Ruger SP101 4 inch barrel 327 Fed Mag I found a few of the boolits I had cast before selling the mold. I tried them in the 327 and they shot very well.I would have to look in my book but I think they were the second best boolit that I have shot on my SP. My mold dropped them at .313 cast from ACWW.Wish I had that mold back......

Super Moderator

I shoot hundreds upon hundreds of those 311359's in my M1 Carbine yearly. Mine isn't a HP mold, but I HP them with a Forster Hollowpointer. They are deadly on Jackrabbits and Coyotes. I love the mold, it's probably the best casting Lyman mold that I own.

Boolit Master

Froggie
    While you're probably right about it not being designed for the 32-20 initially, it certainly does predate the .30 carbine. It's in the 1929 Ideal catalog for sure, but I'm not sure how early it shows up.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    A look through the old Ideal handbooks reveals that No.311359 first appeared in Handbook No.22 (1911). Its original intent was for use in .32-20 rifles, either in single-shot rifles or single-loaded in repeating rifles.

Jim

Boolit Master

Interesting, I was not sure how old it could be. As you can see, it is an Ideal, but it has ventlines. I am going to try it in 32 H&R mag soon, I suspect it will be to long. But, will find out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, I stand corrected. I had never actually seen (noticed?) the 311359 listed so early. I did buy mine for use in a 32-20 low wall Winchester, so I shouldn’t be surprised, I guess. I wonder where I stashed mine?

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same mold, it’s slow and takes a while to heat up but it shoots good, I have the GC/HP and the PB/HP