Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *Best* all-purpose cast cartridge?

Boolit Master

All of the answers so far are acceptable but the very best would be the 30-30 simply because of the number of different molds available, brass readily available, and inexpensive guns. Do not hesitate on the Marlin micro-groove as they will shoot cast extremely well. If the loaded round will chamber use a .312 Dia. boolit.

Banned
    This is an interesting thread !

The .30-30 seems to get most of the love and there's good logic behind that.

The 32 Winchester Special with it's slower twist rate and slightly heavier bullet also makes sense for a cast bullet rifle. Essentially all of the good traits of the .30-30 with a slightly heavier/fatter projectile. That also makes sense.

The 35 Remington is very appealing with its ability to take advantage of ubiquitous 35 caliber bullets.

Part of me is leaning toward a straight wall rimmed cartridge such as .357 maximum or 444 Marlin which would allow shorter casings to be used for reduced power loads without having the problem of excessive case volume with lower charges weights. And there are endless cast bullet designs available those calibers.

BUT, the nostalgic part of me is pushing for another option: The 7mm Mauser (7 x 57)
    Long case neck, big selection of bullet weights, lots of surplus rifles (most of which will require oversized molds, but hey, they're available) and the flexibility to meet all of the OP's criteria.

And just to add some support for my argument, here's an old thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ction-for-7x57

Boolit Grand Master

Anything 35 caliber for me. Ability to shoot light pistol bullets all the way through heavy weights. There’s plenty of 9mm handguns, 357 handguns/rifles and rifles in 35 Remington, 356/358 Winchester in my safes. I have no desire to pick just one.

Boolit Master
    I'm also a 35cal fan. Either the 35rem or the 358win. Molds are available arould 100gr to around 300gr. Brass for the 358 is easy to get or make from 308. J bullets from 110gr to 250+. Lots more stomp for bear than the smaller calibers yet no more damage to small critters with a light hard cast at 22lr speeds.

Boolit Master

35 Whelen has been on my radar for about two years now. I like the possibilities of that caliber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    35 Whelen has been on my radar for about two years now. I like the possibilities of that caliber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Same here. I was looking at the Midway USA 35 Whelen Mauser barrel for $90... But I called Midway and they told me the barrel weighs ~4lbs...
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I like the 35 trio as well. And a good 8x57 is fun with cast, too.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    45/70 would probably do exactly what you want with a 425gr Ranch Dog and a 150gr collar button.....
    I agree with this one. You have a big variety of loads in this caliber from very light to extremely stout.

For your rifle: a Marlin 1895, a used HandiRifle if you can find one or maybe one of the new Henry single shots.

Boolit Bub
    can we include ' 2 year old and younger calibers in the discussion ?

if yes, I would like to nominate .350 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    This is an interesting thread !

The .30-30 seems to get most of the love and there's good logic behind that.

Part of me is leaning toward a straight wall rimmed cartridge such as .357 maximum or 444 Marlin which would allow shorter casings to be used for reduced power loads without having the problem of excessive case volume with lower charges weights. And there are endless cast bullet designs available those calibers.

Boolit Master
    6-7 lb rifle
    The mighty 0.310 cadet.
    Apparently when it first came out...@1900 Col Someone shot a few black bear and even a charaboo at 200 hundred yards with one.
    Now the 120grn 0.325" bullet can be loaded down a bit from a hell bent 1350 fps to more suitable rook and rabbit speeds of 750 fps or so if one so prefers a more quieter woods roving meat getter.

I believe a giant grizzly bear was done in by a wire wrapped somewhat well used 22lr with std velocity ammo with only the most rudimentary sights.
    Now not saying anything but if an ‘ol granny can do that.
    Then the 310 cadet is 4x as powerful at least and think of what you could accomplish with a peep sight

Wildcat made from 38-55 brass necked down to 30 caliber......30 marlin I think they called it would be my pick, but we don’t have bears.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 03-04-2019 at 06:53 AM.

32 win, 35 XCB ?, 35 rem, 356 win, 358 win, 38-55 win, 375 win, 38-40 win, 44 rem mag. All could be cast reloaded for deer/bear as well as pistola lead and pistol or shotgun powder for low velocity small game whether soft or hard cast. You will be lucky if you get any of them to group together @ 50 yds though, so Kantucky windage will be needed for large game pot meal huntin. Or, close shots with the light plinkers.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Nice thing about open sights is the ready and easily checked verticle adjustment. My 375 Win shoots lee255 on 10 gr of 2028 to the sights at 25, rear at the top. Also zero at 85 with NOE 379284 fn on Rl7 in the 3rd notch. Both shoot as well as I can see, minute of groundhog head for the light and about 2 1/2 at 100 for the heavy load. 375 Winchester, treated as a strong 3855 works well, but the rifles are kinda scarce.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I believe you may want to consider getting an over and under. I would recommend a 30-06 barrel atop a 12 gauge under barrel.
    Nothing further be said except becoming a handloader and a bullet caster, you would have the advantage of having many guns at your disposal without the expense except for loading materials.

30-30 and 32 Win Spl.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    50 Alaskan. Buy a box of Starline and you are set for life. Plenty of room for shot.... A caliber 50 round ball for most any corn crunching white tail. A 300 -350 grainer for most anything else. And if a griz or brownny came along a 500 FN GC WW +3% tin an you have nothing to worry about. Even a Datsun pickup will get stopped fast with those slugs into the block.
    The 50-100 will do the same with less pressure, more shot but the brass costs near 2x.
    Lever action, single shot or bolt rifle. Lots of fun and always enough gun out to whatever range you can hit them pesky varmits.

Yes I shoot them. Only wish I would have started sooner.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

The 375 Winchester is an appealing cartridge. I'm not sure what rifles would be chambered in it though. Maybe a JES rebore.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! You've given me a lot of options to consider!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Buddy
    30-30, 45-70

Boolit Master
    .358 Win...
    .308 brass is easily made into .358, of course star line makes brass

entry level mold .358 Lee 200, RCBS clone. Most any .308 powder works great.
    from there no limits on molds. Good to mid 200 yards and beyond. Or a 275gr at 2100-2200
    Have had three-- Most any .358 s interesting

Boolit Master
    Your parameters for selection severely limit your choices. Does your weight limit include a scope? Is the barrel length based on a full size (i.e. bolt action/lever action) receiver? Any caliber that meets your requirement for deer or bear will have substantial recoil in a rifle of that weight, and the bigger you go the worse its going to get. Unless you stick to pistol cartridges it will reach a level you may not find tolerable. I have no opinion on caliber choice, while I shoot mostly cast my only experience with deer sized animals is with 243, 06, and 30/40AI and I use J bullets.

Boolit Master

Lots of good advice and ideas here- went down this road myself here’s a short synopsis- started with an 06 river m77 MK11, heavy elk and bear loads with jacket and cast ✔️; mid range deer loads cast and jword, yep; light varmint/small pot meat loads; yes sir! Great had my one true walking around rifle for all
    Seasons; took bear elk deer coyote woodchuck and boar. Had HillCountry Rifle do their magic bedding and add their adjustable trigger and target crown- before I could or would do those things myself! Wonderful rifle; my favorite almost. Then I went and did the exact same experiment with a 94 Winchester rifle in 30-30- worked out wonderfully; with the Lyman peepsight I know just where to hold for heavy and light loads; this rifle is cast only- does it all with in its range and power limits! Great two all purpose rifles from mink to moose. Than went down the same road with a 94/44 trapper carbine; worked out so well my daughter has taken all her deer with it and it’s what she will use on our next pig hunt. Than I got stung with the 300 blackout bug, little more work this time but AR rifles and a pistol that do many things well and more
    Than enough gun for deer, and it’s become my defacto raccoon gun. Now I’m hard on the 357 max road in a contender - shoots amazingly accurate with boolits 140ish to 200 ish- all cast so far took a large doe this year with it; 50 yards; broke both shoulders; she went about 10 yards on her back legs and fell twice in that distance, saving my pennies for an-Encore barrel form MGM so chambered cause surely that would be my light handy do-all rifle! But I’ve also been doing a lot of range and load work with a WW1 sporterized Mauser .....man she shoots nice and my wife bought it for me- 8mm cast and jwords- could be the one! But I’ve also have a beautiful early River M77 in 308 that’s been a problem child ; seems to be short throated and could be why I got it so cheap; but it’s shooting wonderful groups with some 110 grain ballistic tips; fairly light weight rifle that handles really nice- if I could tinker and get her shooting; why that would be a great walking around one rifle to do it all .
    I forgot to mention I’ve a stable of various shorty Nagant rifles that are shooters; a Polish one in particular that wears a light weight synthetic stock- shoots cast very well ; prefers boolits on the heavy end so same boolit with either unique or H4895 depending on if deer or rabbits are on the menu.
    Take my long post as a warning- go down this road only at your own peril!
    Last edited by nagantguy; 03-11-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast