Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castable reloadable tack driver

Moderator Emeritus

Castable reloadable tack driver

I have been thinking about expanding my horizons somewhat. I am thinking a smaller caliber tack driver that I can reload for. I have numerous leveractions and ar's. I have a few that could be considered but they are larger caliber like a 6.5. I guess I am considering a bolt action that can take the eye out of small game which would most likely mean a scope as the eyes are getting older. I haven't shot a bolt action since I was a kid. Am I making sense? I have 22's but like I said to cast and reload for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

Are you inclined toward the modern, or will any vintage do? I realize that, having lever actions, you probably have a .30-30 already, but one of my future projects will be the acquisition of a .30-30 bolt action. I do have a low number Springfield M1903 that shoot fantastically well with cast boolits of 165 gr.

Consider the range you would be shooting, expected velocity, etc. Rabbit, nutrina, yote - it makes a difference. That will determine twist and boolit weight. 6.5 isn't 'cheap' to load but might consider BO or variant. 100-180ish, rabbit to hog.
    Last edited by popper; 04-14-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Have you given any thought towards the. .17 to 20 calibers ?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am not sure what you mean. Are you thinking of a 22 caliber centerfire bolt action? I have centerfire bolt and single shot 22's in the venerable hornet, 222, and 223 and all shoot well with cast in the vicinity of 1900 fps although the 223 took a lot more experimentation with molds and loads than the other two. With my arthritic fingers I can't imagine trying to manipulate anything smaller than 22's like 17's and 20's. After more than a year of experimentation with the bolt action 223 (a T/C Venture), good fortune put an NOE mold into my hands and now CB's from that mold will outshoot jacketed at 100 yards when my old eyes and nervous fingers are having a good day.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 04-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    25-20 ?

.257 Roberts ?

Moderator Emeritus

I would look at a TC contender with an MGM bbl in 25-20 or 256. Figure an 80 gr bullet and a sneeze of powder.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Lately I have been day dreaming of a 7mm x 223 in a bolt action . Just because I have this little 132 gr Thor mold . So the 7mm TCU looks like a fun little hunter , or a fine critter getter out to a 100 with cast .
    Thumb tacks well if they were close enough .....
    Last edited by toallmy; 04-14-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I should have clarified some, my bad. Yes I have two Marlin levers in .30-30. My yardage based upon where I live would probably be 50-100 yards. I was thinking of a bolt action as I have about a dozen levers and maybe the same in AR's. All in various calibers. Yes on rabbits to yotes. Don't think we have nutrina in these woods .. Guess I am looking at the smaller calibers but I just don't know enough about bolts. Vintage or modern doesn't matter as long as it is more accurate than me. I know I am not doing a great job of explaining but it's kinda a feeling that I just want that one to say I got him in the eye at 50 yards and will pass it along to my son. I appreciate taking the time to offer me suggestions. Recommendations on moulds would be very helpful along with loads. I probably have a "few" different types of powder laying around and will probably PC them though I could lube if necessary.

Boolit Master
    If you have AR's why not just cast for one of them? Cast in .223 would do what you are looking for.

If you want an excuse to get a bolt gun then you kinda have your pick of calibers. What you probably want is a slower twist and smaller case .22 or 6mm. Longer neck is better than shorter neck. A list of calibers is kinda pointless until you decide what caliber you want to use.

For some ideas there is a thread on 'Walking Rifles' in the Factory Rifles section of the forum. Lots discussed in there that I think apply to what you might be looking for.

Boolit Master

My Recommendation from what I Think your needs and goal is:

Caliber .223. - Provides access to cheap brass. Commercial ammo is readily available; and cheaper at Big Box Sports Stores. You can reload cheaper than many other options. You can cast for it and "Reduce Velocities" so that you keep accuracy with lead or PC bolts. Many are seeing a developing shortage on components; so less powder might be a good thing downstream. A set of Lee Pacesetter dies for .223 on Amazon is $33.99.

Also; should you need to do so - you can always do reduced loads for both cast or jacketed in .223 using WC860, WC870, or WC872 surplus 50BMG and 20mm Vulcan Powders ( See my past work in this area - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3-5-56-Yes-But )

Game Potential: Obviously the .223 would work on Rabbits and Squirrel's, but also Turkey, Deer, and.... are all doable with the .223.

Rifle Ideas on a budget:

Savage AXIS XP Bolt Action Rifle - I have one and it shoots pretty well. I replaced the Tupperware stock with a Boyd's, and accuracy improved. You might pick one up in a "Pawn Shop" or other location at a better price.

Attachment 260349

Savage 12FV - I have one and it shoots Very Well. Once again I replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's, and the accuracy improved. You will have to buy/have a scope to put on this rifle as there are no sights or scope mounts when you buy. I believe this is a Cabellas only option (other similar from Savage - but higher cost.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVA...4.uts?slotId=0
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll third the 25-20 or 32-20. Both can be plenty accurate with lead slugs out to and a somewhat beyond 100 yards. You'll need something with a bit more snort than those for more range.

If your leaning towards a bolt gun anyway, go for a Savage 10,11,12 etc like Mustang said. This way you can swap out different barrels and calibers in your own shop. Maybe a tad expensive setting up, but once done, you can do pretty much anything you want.

I have a mod 12 with two barrels, a 6PPC and a 22-250. I can swap them in about an hour.

McGowan makes awesome barrels for the Savages and there are a huge number of businesses making all kinds of "jewelry" for the guns.

My $.02
    Chris

Boolit Master

32-20 is a fun cartridge and depending on what you have it in strength wise it can go from mild to wild. I would love to score a 2nd Gen 1882 25-20 to play with that too.

.223 all the way! As cheap of a bottleneck you can buy, reload and shoot.

Reason I mention the 300BO - intermediate case size, similar to 357, 32/20, 30 carbine. Cheap to reload - you can use pistol powder for bunny loads in bolt or break action. Or push 150gr to 2200 fps. Make your own cases or purchase. I shot my pistol with 100gr half jacket - 5 gr hp38 and it goes 'pop' but 14-1500 fps range. 40WT & 30 Hamr are just longer case for more powder - not really needed.
    Like you haven't shot a bolt gun except sighting in GK 243s. Got the 22lr, 30/30 & 308 + BO pistol and carbine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    30-30 cast can do what you are looking for. My experience with cast in Marlin 30-30 microgroove has not been good. A Savage /Stevens bolt gun in 30-30 might be just the thing. Sadly, I traded mine. Also shot it with round balls for backyard vermin.
    If you shoot Contenders, that might be an option also.

Moderator Emeritus

Ok some good ideas.
    Charlie b I will check that out, thanks.

I have pretty much every caliber mentioned plus dies between my ar's and levers except the 22-20, 30 carbine, 6ppc, and 22-250. I will look into them. These sound like something to pursue.

Mustang - yea you are pretty much getting what I am thinking. I will have to look into the other calibers. I am not really concerned with this being a budget build as it will be a one time extravagance. Some great ideas guys. Thanks I really do appreciate it. I could cast for the ar's but the bolt just seems to be calling to me for the "one shot one kill" picture in my mind. I know I am not expressing myself properly but you guys are giving me great ideas.

If a light 30 cal will work I'd recommend a cz 527 in 7.62x39 or 300 blk. If 22 is more of your idea, get the same cz in 22 hornet. Brilliant little rifles with at least a chance of a great factory trigger, nice stocks, and great sights. Not too cheap though but worth the money.
    Last edited by adcoch1; 04-14-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Darn spellchecker..
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    If a light 30 cal will work I'd recommend a cz 527 in 7.62x39 or 300 blk. If 22 is more of your idea, get the same cz in 22 hornet. Brilliant little rifles with at least a chance of a great factory trigger, nice stocks, and great sights. Not too cheap though but worth the money.
    When we get out of the Wuhan Flu BS. I'll get to test drive a sweet little CZ527 in 7.62 x 39 mm bolt gun.. I have two bullet weights to test drive in it. I'm hoping the smaller 113gr lee bullet works best. I'm only looking to best 1"groups at fifty yards with a pee wee size dose of Unique. I'll let you know how it turns out. uncle mike

I have used the 22-250 since 1972 to hit little targets out yonder. I've recently found out that it's 1-14" twist is kind to cast bullets as well, making it very versatile. The .223 is cheaper to shoot, but a slow twist barrel on a factory rifle is rare. I love my 30-30 bolt action but I had to build it myself. I think a .308 would work out for you. .300 Blackout is fun, but again the fast twist limits your cast adventures IME.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast