Titan ReloadingADvertise hereRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: *Best* all-purpose cast cartridge?

Haha.... Oh boy nagant... Can't say I will have the ability to go down that road any time soon. I have three babies (>8yrs old) with a fourth due any day now and meat in the freezer is money not spent at the grocery store. We're not poor, but funds need to be spent wisely.

The weight restriction Rich include scope. I have a 4x scope that weighs 8oz with rings but I could also save for a 2.5x Leupold that weighs 6oz.

I was thinking compact rifle (17-20 inches) in either a bolt action or lever. Single shot rifles don't weigh much different for some strange reason. There's a guy I heard about (can't think of the name right now) who modifies Marlin 336 and Win 94's to weigh ~6lb. If I snag a 30/30 and go 32 Special or 375 Win by JES, his rebore will actually remove metal inside the barrel, reducing weight further.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    If you are thinking along those lines I would,personally, go with a 3530 rebore in a nice light M94 Winchester. I like the 375 because of the light weight and handy ness. The 375 caliber does not have the ready availability of light weight plinker bullets of the 35 cal. I am considering buying another Lee mold to mill the base off to get a lighter book it, no need with a 35. Interested in where you wind up.
    Oops , didnít see the scope, Marlin would be better scoped.
    Last edited by rking22; 03-14-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    ďYou donít practice until you get it right. You practice until you canít get it wrong.Ē Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I thought I'd update you guys. I ended up purchasing a Remington Model Seven in .308. Stainless model with black polymer stock. It ended up weighing 5lb 7oz from the factory. With scope it weighs 6lb 3oz. I decided to go with the .308 based on BrassMagnet's recommendation (off-thread). The .308 cartridge will be more efficient than the 30/06 for powder capacity and the abundance of available quality brass is simply silly.

It's not what I set about for as the "best" all-purpose cast cartridge. I think the winner for that would have been the .32 Special and perhaps I will still pick up a Win 94 in .32 Sp one day. We shall see, but I thought I should let you guys know what I finally ended up with. Thank you for all your help!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I think you made a good choice. That or the 30/30 would have been mine, I have both. The availability and the amount of 308 shells and brass make it an excellent choice. If you have not already read it look up the Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article. it gives excellent load data for small gallery to hunting cast loads. With very efficient powder loading's.
    Last edited by Time Killer; 06-21-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    A good choice IMO. Both rifle and cartridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm going with 327 FM in a henry. I'm betting with a heavy cast bullet, it will do fi e for black bear here in PA. And deer, no question. Shots will have to be limited to within 100 yards and as always, placement is key. And there is always the ability to use 32 s&w long or 32 h&r mag for the smaller stuff.

357 mag carbine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345